Every day millions of people with grey hair search the internet and visit dermatologists to avail proper solution against grey hair. With age, grey hair will increase in numbers. There is nothing unnatural in it, but if the same thing is happening with a young person, who has not yet crossed 30 years, then the matter is to be considered seriously. Even when the growth of grey hair is natural but if the grey hair grows faster than normal then it is a matter requiring close attention. Modern medical science has found certain vitamins that can be taken in regulated doses as supplements to reverse grey hair.
What Causes Grey Hair?
Hair gets its color from a type of pigment called melanin. The formation of melanin begins in the fetus. Hair gets two types of pigments: the dark pigments are called eumelanin, and light pigments are called pheomelanin. These two types of melanin pigments blend together to form different types of hair color. Again, these pigments are positioned properly in the hair follicles. So, when hair starts growing, these pigments are absorbed in the hair to give it a particular color.
Hair coloration is a systematized process. So, if there is a slight difference in the bodily system, the hair loses its color which is then called as grey hair. Over the decades, the researchers are working hard to find a real solution for grey hair. Unfortunately, there is no specific remedy yet come out that can provide the ultimate solution against grey hair. On the other hand, people must have a clear understanding on why they get grey hair. It will help them to find out the reasons specific to grey hair. Here are some of the causes of grey hair:
- Aging: Due to hormonal changes, people get grey hair and hair loss while aging. It is natural for every person on the earth.
- Lifestyle: It is another primary cause of grey hair, particularly among the younger generations. Due to higher stress, insomnia, tension, unhealthy eating, etc. people these days are lacking certain vitamins. This leads to early growth of grey hair.
- Lack of Pigments: Growth of hair and hair pigmentation are two different things. Many people may have noticed that their hair is growing normally, but its greying early or growing without pigmentation. This happens due to deficiency of one or more vitamins and other nutrients.
Besides, there may be numerous other reasons behind this common problem like heredity, side-effects of medicines, diseases, pollution, and many such adversities.
Vitamins That Help Reverse Grey Hair
Vitamins are necessary for proper body functions. There are two types of vitamins present in the body – water soluble vitamins, and fat soluble vitamins. Water soluble vitamins are generally sourced by foods and supplements that are taken by a person every day. Water soluble vitamins are not stored in the body. On the other hand, fat soluble vitamins are stored in the fat cells, and used up by the body’s immunity system when required. Greying of hair takes place due to lack of pigmentation, which in turn signifies lack of proper functioning of the systems or organs that are responsible for pigmentation. Supplementing the body with proper vitamins can stop grey hair permanently.
Some important vitamins for reversing grey hair are as follows:
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is quite popular in the medical fraternity due to its wide-ranging functions, including antioxidation. It helps to normalize cell functions that are often disrupted due to free radicals. Formation of pigments and absorption of those pigments are often destabilized due to unhindered deposition of toxic products. Vitamin C is capable to reverse the problem of grey hair.
- Vitamin B6: It is an extremely important water-soluble vitamin for healthy growth of hair follicles. Vitamin B6 helps in proper blood circulation, promoting cell repair, and increasing immunity of the body. Thus, users of this vitamin can notice a decrease in grey hair and healthy growth of hair on regular use of this vitamin.
- Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid): This particular vitamin largely controls the formation of new cells, supply of sufficient oxygen in the cells by increasing red blood cells, proper metabolism, etc. Lack of this vitamin may cause premature ageing of the skin surface, and lower supply of melanin. So, intake of folic acid supplement can stop premature greying of hair remarkably.
- Vitamin B12: Everyone needs sufficient quantities of Vitamin B12 to maintain healthy hair growth, and lessening greying of hair. This vitamin strengthens hair follicles and help to maintain a steady supply of pigments responsible for hair color. People, who mostly eat vegetables or are completely vegetarian sometimes lack this vitamin, as it is mostly found in the most common non-vegetable food items like meat and fish. Dietary supplements can be taken to fulfill the deficiency of this vitamin to help reverse grey hair.
- Vitamin E: The positive effects of vitamin E on the skin and hair are known to the experts for more than half a century. Vitamin E helps in cleaning toxic chemicals, repairing hair and hair follicles, and forming sufficient quantities of pigments. Thus, vitamin E supplementation is too important for reversing grey hair. This vitamin is fat soluble, so drinking sufficient quantities of water is necessary to wash out extra quantities of this vitamin from the body.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A indirectly helps in ending early greying of hair. If the hair follicles are weakening, the growth of hair is severely disturbed. Formation of hair lingers, hair splits quite often, and some follicles are so weakened that the hairs are not formed from those follicles. All these conditions may also cause grey hair, which can be efficiently rectified with the help of vitamin A supplement.
- Vitamin D: This vitamin helps to strengthen hair, and increase the life span of hair. As hair gets more strength, pigments important for hair color, i.e. eumelanin, and pheomelanin remain embedded in it strongly leading to less grey hair. Sun ray is the most authentic source of vitamin D; however, some supplements can also be taken to increase this vitamin in the body.
Sources of Vitamins and Supplements for Reversing Grey Hair
Sources of vitamins could be found everywhere in fruits, vegetables, pulses, fish, meat, etc. People having this problem should eat all types of foods in sufficient quantities every day. At the same time, supplements may be required to increase the levels of these vitamins in the body, as it is not possible to obtain all types of fruits and vegetables everywhere. Moreover, for some people the deficiency might be too high to overcome with just food and hence, they might require the supplements to overcome the deficiency. Apart from vitamins, certain minerals, and proteins are also required for generating sufficient melanin pigments and supplying them in hair.
One should consume foods and supplements in such a way that hair gets sufficient nutrition to grow healthily, and for developing of pigments in the right quantities. Lack of vitamin may increase the rate at which hair is greying unnaturally. At the same time, intake of right quantities of supplements is also important. These days, different popular brands of supplements are available in the market that can be used to fulfill the vitamin deficiencies in the body, but eating wholesome foods, certain lifestyle changes, avoiding fast foods, regular workouts, etc. are also necessary to reverse hair growth.