Curd is a natural hair care ingredient, as it is packed with proteins, calcium, and vitamin B5, which are extremely beneficial for hair health. It aids hair growth, moisturizes the hair, and keeps the scalp dandruff free.
How Does Curd Benefit Hair Health?
- Curd is a good conditioner for hair. It helps moisturize the hair and is a highly recommended conditioner for hair.
- The lactic acid content of curd helps in softening the tresses. It can be combined with various other ingredients such as olive oil, apple cider vinegar, gram flour, and others to make a mask for deep hair conditioning.
- It helps get rid of dandruff. Curd contains a bacterium Propionibacterium which is also present on the scalp along with staphylococcus bacteria. Study shows that encouraging the growth of these bacteria on the skin may help in getting rid of dandruff (1). But dandruff can have numerous factors, such as fungal, stress, etc. It is better to know the cause and then go ahead with the treatment options.
- Curd helps in improving the scalp health, reducing the clogging of follicles and controlling hair fall. It helps in cleaning the scalp and getting rid of dead skin cells thereby strengthening roots and promoting hair growth. Curd contains vitamin B7 (biotin), which promotes stronger hair growth at a faster rate. It has been used as a traditional Middle Eastern remedy to reduce damage and promote hair growth (2). Similar to dandruff, hair fall also has numerous causes, therefore it is important to get to know the cause.
- Curd application gives the hair, shine. Its cleansing and moisturizing properties play a role in making the tresses extra lustrous.
- Curd also helps in balancing the pH level of the scalp by regulating sebum production.
How To Use Curd For Healthy Hair?
To use Curd for Healthy Hair:
Egg and Curd
Wisk one whole egg in a bowl till the yellow and white combine fully. Add 2 tablespoons of curd and mix to form a consistent paste.
Start applying the mixture from the root of the hair. Make sure it covers all the hair. Leave it on the head for 20-30 minutes. Wash out the mask with shampoo and cool water.
This mask can be used for hair care, two times a week.
Banana and Curd
In a bowl mash half a banana, until it forms a smooth paste. Add one tablespoon curd, two tablespoon honey and one teaspoon lemon juice to it.
Apply this mixture from the root to the tip, and cover all the hair in it. Keep this hair mask for 25-30 minutes before washing off.
Wash the hair with shampoo and cool water. This hair mask also can be applied twice a week.
It is an extremely nourishing and hydrating hair mask and also contains scalp cleansing properties.
Curd and Olive Oil
Take one cup curd and one tablespoon olive oil mix them. Keep it aside. Add one teaspoon lemon juice in two cups of water.
Shampoo hair and squeeze out excess water. Apply curd and olive oil mixture and leave it on hair for 20 minutes. Rinse off the mask with cool or lukewarm water and afterward with lemon water.
This mask can be applied two times a week. It helps in keeping the hair healthy and shiny. It also balances the pH of the scalp.
Curd and Honey
Come half a cup curd, one teaspoon honey and one teaspoon apple cider vinegar to form a smooth consistent paste. Section the hair and apply the paste from the scalp to the tip of the hair.
Leave it on the head for 30 minutes and rinse off with a mild shampoo.
It can be applied two times a week. This mask controls the oil production in the scalp and avoids clogging of the follicles.
Aloe Vera and Curd
Combine three tablespoons of pure aloe vera gel, two tablespoon curd, two tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon honey in a bowl, until it forms a smooth paste.
Massage the mixture on the scalp for about 15 minutes. After the massaging is done cover the hair in the mask and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash off with shampoo thereafter.
This mask can also be applied two times a week. The amino acid content of aloe vera along with beneficial properties of curd keeps the scalp and hair healthy and strong.
Curd is a natural ingredient which is very beneficial in various scalp conditions and hair problems. Only those allergic to milk products should be cautious before using it. They can go ahead after doing a patch test.
If suffering from any serious scalp or hair condition it is always better to consult a dermatologist before starting any home procedure.