We all know how miraculous activated charcoal is for our skin. But do you know it shows astonishing results on our hair too? Activated charcoal possesses magnetic properties and doubles up hair growth when used regularly. Its coarse particles act as a scrub and detoxify scalp impurities and treat dandruff. Not only does it deal with hair growth but also has medicinal importance. Be it oily scalp, dry scalp, or a normal one, activated charcoal products and DIYs suit them all. All age groups can use products consisting of this ingredient as it is a pure product of nature.(1,3)
5 Miraculous Hair Health Benefits
Let us look at some of the benefits of activated charcoal for our hair health:
- Activated Charcoal Enhances Hair Growth – It becomes tough for the scalp to enhance hair growth if excess oil and dirt get accumulated around the roots. Activated charcoal pulls the oil and impurities away from the hair follicles allowing it full space to grow. Further, activated charcoal also improves the quality of hair by repairing damage, if any, from the roots themselves.
- Activated Charcoal As A Hair Detox – Unlike regular shampoos which remove only the surface dirt, the products formulated with activated charcoal attract oil, dirt and impurities from your scalp hence deeply detoxifies it. This process targets all your scalp miseries such as dandruff, excessive oil and itchiness.
- Activated Charcoal For Voluminous Hair – Oil and dirt make our hair and scalp dirty for which regular shampoos might not be enough. Unlike other shampoos available in the market, activated charcoal-infused shampoos do not leave any residue behind making the hair feel lighter and more voluminous.
- Anti-Bacterial Effects of Activated Charcoal – During summers, some people suffer from mild scalp infections such as redness, itching or bad odour due to scalp build-up. Well, a charcoal hair mask can come to your rescue in such situations. Activated charcoal has anti-fungal properties which is the perfect remedy for such an issue.(1,3,6)
- Activated Charcoal to Exfoliate the Scalp – Activated charcoal with its fine coarse particles can be the best scrub. It’s a boon for people with oily scalp and hair. Activated charcoal is, after all, a sort of clay when mixed with any liquid, and clay products are best suited for the oily scalp as it absorbs the sebum produced on the scalp surface, thus preventing your freshly shampooed hair to turn greasy within a day or two!(2,3)
18 Amazing DIYs Using Activated Charcoal
Here are a few easy-peasy activated charcoal DIYs for healthy and shiny hair:
Your hair will thank you for these 18 amazing activated charcoal DIYs:
Activated Charcoal and Coconut Oil Rapid Hair Growth Mask:
Activated charcoal unclogs the pores of your scalp, thus giving the hair enough space to grow. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is a growth stimulator. Here is a DIY mask recipe that will definitely fulfil the purpose if applied twice a week.
- Take 2 teaspoons of activated charcoal powder in a bowl.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in it.
- Add a few drops of rosehip oil for fragrance.
- Stir well and apply it all over your scalp and hair.
- Apply it in the circular motion the same way you massage the oil on your scalp.
- Keep it in for an hour or two and then rinse with cool water. Wash it twice, and if required, wash it off with a mild shampoo, as charcoal combined with oil does not tend to leave your hair so soon!(5)
Activated Charcoal And Basil Hair Mask For Dry Scalp:
- Take half a cup of full cream milk. (Milk retains moisture in the scalp leaving the hair smooth and nourished.)
- Add 6-8 teaspoons of basil powder and mix.
- Add vitamin E oil from 1 capsule and half a teaspoon of activated charcoal powder and whisk the mixture.
- Apply this DIY mask to the clean scalp and hair.
- Wear a shower cap and let it sit for an hour.
- Wash it off with normal water.(8)
Activated Charcoal And Lemon Hair Mask For Oily Scalp:
- Squeeze the juice of 4-5 lemons in a bowl. (Lemon contains vitamin C which helps in lesser sebum production.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal with it. (Activated charcoal detoxifies the scalp.)
- Add half a cup of fuller’s earth (Multani mitti) to the mixture and stir it well. (Fuller’s earth absorbs excess oil and controls sebum production. Further, it removes the bad odour that oily scalps generally carry.
- Add 2-4 tablespoons of water if the paste becomes very thick.
- Apply to the clean scalp and hair. While applying on the scalp, massage a bit with your fingers in a circular motion.
- Wear a shower cap and let it sit for half an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly with cool water. You might have to wash it twice as activated charcoal combined with Multani mitti leave some residue after the first wash.(7)
Activated Charcoal And Rice Mask For Rapid Hair Growth:
- Take 3 tablespoons of rice powder (ground rice).
- Mix 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal powder in it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of full cream milk and whisk the mixture. (Full cream milk provides nourishment and moisture to the hair roots.
- Apply it on the clean scalp. Keep it for an hour and then rinse.
- You can use this remedy twice a week. This will help in the fast growth of your hair.(13)
Activated Charcoal and Aloe Vera Hair Smoothening Mask:
- Take 2 teaspoons of activated charcoal powder.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and stir the mixture.
- Apply it to your scalp and hair.
- Wear a shower cap after applying this DIY hair mask.
- Let it stay on for half an hour and then rinse off.
- This is an amazing treatment for damaged and dry hair, but make sure not to use it more than twice a week.(14)
Activated Charcoal and Yoghurt Hair Mask For A Clean Scalp:
- Take 1 cup of fresh yoghurt. (The one prepared at home)
- Mix 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal powder and 2 teaspoons of baking soda in it.
- Now, wet your hair and apply this mixture little by little all through your hair and scalp.
- Massage it on your scalp in a circular motion while applying.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse with normal water.
- It will cleanse your scalp. It also leaves the hair a little straighter after the wash.
- Repeat this process twice a week and you will see visible results.(11)
Activated Charcoal and Bentonite Clay Scalp Firming Hair Mask:
- Take 2 tablespoons of bentonite clay.
- Mix 1/3 tablespoon of activated charcoal powder in it.
- Add ½ tablespoon of water along with a few drops of ginseng essential oil for a good fragrance.
- Whisk until the paste becomes smooth.
- Keep it for 5 minutes and then apply to your dry scalp.
- It is better to give your scalp a steam treatment before applying this DIY scalp firming hair mask. This will ensure that the mask seeps deep into the roots from where hair growth takes place. Steam treatment can be done at home by dipping a towel in hot water and then placing it on the scalp. Shampoo your hair after taking the steam and then use this DIY.
- Let it stay for half-an-hour and then wash off.(7)
Activated Charcoal and Baking Soda Deep Detoxification Hair Mask:
- Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of activated charcoal in it. Here, activated charcoal works like a natural magnet that attracts the pollutant particles from the hair follicles.
- Add 1 tablespoon of each of neem powder and rosewater to it. (Neem will deeply cleanse the hair follicles, thus unclogging the pores of your scalp)
- Stir it well and apply to the clean scalp and hair.
- Wear a shower cap and let it sit for an hour.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with normal water. Your head will feel lighter and fresh after using this remedy.(9)
Activated Charcoal And Almond Hair Oil Mask For Stronger Hair:
- Take 2 tablespoons of warm almond oil.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of activated charcoal powder in it.
- Add a few drops of jojoba oil for fragrance.
- Apply it on your scalp, keep it for an hour and then rinse with a mild shampoo.(10)
Activated Charcoal and Corn Starch Dry Shampoo:
There are days when we wash our hair two days back and it already starts turning greasy. It is annoying! Especially during winters. But no worries now! Here is an amazing activated charcoal dry shampoo DIY for you:
- Take ½ cup of corn starch powder.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of activated charcoal powder in it.
- Add a few drops of grapefruit/ginseng essential oil for fragrance.
- Now to apply this, make a middle parting and apply it on the greasy areas of your scalp and hair with the help of a soft brush. Change partings and apply it all over the scalp and hair length. Corn starch absorbs moisture and retains a fresh feel.
Note: This DIY is suitable for black hair only.(4)
Activated Charcoal Anti-Dandruff Shampoo:
This DIY shampoo will not only cure dandruff but will also deeply clean oil and dirt from your scalp leaving it fresh. Here is how you make it:
- Take the required amount of any mild shampoo.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of activated charcoal powder to it.
- Squeeze a lemon in the mixture and stir well.
- Shampoo your hair with this mixture. Rinse well and make sure there is no residue on your scalp after the wash.
- Don’t forget to use conditioner after this process as lemon mixed with activated charcoal works wonders for treating dandruff but it makes the hair a little rough.(4)
Activated Charcoal And Honey Conditioner To Treat Damaged Hair:
- Take 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Mix 3 teaspoons of activated charcoal powder to it.
- Add 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil into the mixture.
- Apply it only on your hair as a conditioner after shampoo.
- Wash it off in 5 minutes.
- This works as an amazing conditioner and will make your hair soft and shiny. (9)
Activated Charcoal and Mint Oil Serum to Eliminate Scalp Odour:
- Take a spray bottle and fill 1/3 part of it with distilled water.
- Fill the next 1/3 part of the bottle with mint oil.
- Add 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel, a few drops of rubbing alcohol and shake well.
- Spray this serum for a fresh feel whenever your scalp feels oily, sticky, and smelly.(15)
Activated Charcoal Serum To Treat Split Ends:
- Take 1 teaspoon of fine activated charcoal powder in a spray bottle. (Activated charcoal is known to repair the damaged hair)
- Mix 1 teaspoon of glycerine and 4 capsules of vitamin E oil. (Glycerine and vitamin E oil smoothen and moisturize the hair)
- Add 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water into the bottle and shake well.
- Your DIY split ends treatment serum is ready.
- It can be sprayed on the damp hair after a hair wash or you can also spray it only on the split ends regularly.(12)
Activated Charcoal Temporary Hair Colourant –
If you have blonde or light coloured hair, then this DIY is definitely for you! Here is a quick temporary black colourant solution for you:
- Take fresh aloe vera gel right from the aloe vera plant. Take the required amount depending on the length of your hair.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal powder to it.
- Add 2 teaspoons of flax seeds and 1 small cup of lukewarm water into the mixture and grind it to make a paste of thin consistency.
- Apply on your hair and leave it on for an hour and rinse.
- This will give you black hair temporarily till your next hair wash.(16)
Activated Charcoal and Coffee Hair Dye:
This activated charcoal dye will last for a month, just like any other hair colour available in the market. The best part here is that unlike the hair colours available in the market (which come with lots of side effects and is formulated with plenty of harmful chemicals), this DIY hair dye is natural and has no side effects.
- Take 2 tablespoons of a good coffee powder and 2 teaspoons of activated charcoal powder.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of any hair conditioner with it. (Conditioner helps to smoothen your hair while dying it mildly).
- Add a few drops of hot water to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and apply through the strands of your hair.
- Let it stay on for 30 minutes and then rinse off with normal water.
- Remember, don’t blow dry after this process. Let your hair dry naturally.
- After the first use, you will notice a dark brown colour. You can use it twice a month for a better brown shade.(16,17)
Activated Charcoal and Himalayan Salt Scalp Scrub:
- Take half a teaspoon of activated charcoal in a bowl
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of Himalayan and sodium bicarbonate in it
- Add 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture.
- Make a smooth paste by adding half a cup of water.
- Massage this mixture on your clean scalp. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinse.
- Repeat twice a week for the detoxification of your scalp. This attracts all the dirt and excess oil from deep inside the hair follicles.(7)
Activated Charcoal and Brown Sugar Scalp Scrub:
- Take 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. (Brown sugar is an amazing exfoliator and works wonderfully when mixed with charcoal. It also leaves the scalp moisturized after you wash it off.
- Mix ½ tablespoon of coarse activated charcoal powder in it.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of lukewarm water to make a thick paste.
- Here you go! Your DIY scalp scrub is ready. Apply it on the wet scalp after cleansing your hair.
- You can scrub twice a week with this natural homemade DIY.(7)
Points To Be Kept in Mind While Using Activated Charcoal Products or DIYs:
- Activated charcoal DIYs are usually messy. It turns the place black and dirty wherever it is prepared. So, it is better if you try these DIYs during the bath.
- Activated charcoal DIYs or products, can be a bit reactive on sensitive skin. So, don’t forget to do a patch test before applying any of those on your scalp or hair.
- Keep a damp towel handy whenever you decide to prepare or use any activated charcoal product as it tends to stain the clothes and skin.
- Don’t keep any DIY made from activated charcoal on your hair for more than an hour. Remember, keeping it on for longer hours won’t prove that the ingredients have retained their goodness.(2,3)
Activated charcoal is such a magical product which the beauty industry is blessed to have. Starting from its medicinal properties to its pore-cleansing and anti-pollution properties, it is a wonderful natural product to use. It is an eco-friendly and skin-friendly product that can be combined with a variety of ingredients to reap wonderful results within one use or two. Moreover, activated charcoal is available in the market in many forms – powder (coarse, fine and raw), paste and bath bomb. You can buy whichever suits you the best. This black product is magic in itself. Try it to believe it!