Are you wondering if coconut oil is good for you or not? Well, then the information you need, is right here. Being one of the richest sources of saturated fat, coconut oil was once considered to be unfit for cooking as not many people were aware of the fact that saturated fat is indeed good for your health and can be used on a regular basis.
Recent studies have proved that there is simply no relation between heart diseases and consumption of saturated fat. Organic, unrefined and virgin coconut oil is one of the healthiest food items that you can use in your food without a doubt.
Let us analyze how effective coconut oil is and whether it is good for you or not.
Coconut Oil – Is it Good for You?
Statistics reveal that a very large number of the American population consume coconut oil on a daily basis and they are far healthier than those who don’t. Also, people who consume coconut oil regularly showed no traces of cardiovascular diseases and also boasted of exceptional good health.
Composition of Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil
As compared to other cooking oils, coconut oil has a very unique composition of fatty acids which are around 90 percent saturated. Due to this composition, coconut oil becomes extremely resistant to oxidation at high temperatures which is why it is considered just perfect for frying and other high-temperature cooking mediums.
Moreover, medium chain triglycerides (MCT) form an essential part of coconut oil. Its presence allows the oil to reach the liver instantly from the digestive tract, get turned into ketone bodies and provide the body with instant energy whenever need be.
The 12-carbon Lauric Acid is also present in coconut oil which on entering the body gets broken down into compounds known as monolaurin. Monolaurin has the ability to kill several fungus, viruses and bacteria along with other microbes. This means that use of coconut oil helps to protect your body against many infections and bacteria.
Why Coconut Oil is Good For You?
Apart from the statistics, coconut oil has proved to be a great choice due to the health benefits it offers. If you too wonder whether coconut oil is good for you or not, then you must go through the major benefits of coconut oil and decide for yourself.
- Improves the Blood Lipid Profiles – When you use unrefined coconut oil, it helps to improve the blood lipid profile in your body. It is quite useful in reducing the total and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and oxidized LDL while increasing the good cholesterol (HDL) in the body. This is indeed a great advantage as maintaining healthy cholesterol levels can reduce the risk of heart diseases and other lifestyle disorders. If it can help to maintain cholesterol and prevent major illnesses, coconut oil is definitely good for you.
- Regulates High Blood Pressure and Prevents Heart Diseases – As coconut oil helps to manage cholesterol levels, it also helps to regulate high blood pressure. This not only prevents heart diseases and stroke but also reduces the risk of recurrence of heart problems in many people. This factor itself explains whether coconut oil is good for you or not.
- Reduces Inflammation – The presence of several natural antioxidants in coconut oil help to reduce inflammation in the body. This makes it useful for healing inflammatory conditions like arthritis, bowel disturbances, etc. Reduced inflammation also reduces the risk of several other diseases, which makes coconut oil good for you.
- Aids in Weight Loss – Many studies show that consumption of coconut oil has been linked to weight loss. In some studies, it is shown that women with abdominal obesity could reduce their waist circumference by using coconut oil in their food for few months. Coconut oil helps increase the expenditure of energy in the body as compared to other oils and it has a greater satiety too. This greatly helps to lose weight and proves that coconut oil is good for you and your health.
- Improves Brain Functions and Boosts Memory – Coconut oil is good for you as it can improve brain function and boost memory. The fatty acids in coconut oil get absorbed into the body quite easily and can be used by the brain. This is why brain cells are able to work better with regular consumption of coconut oil resulting in improved brain function and good memory.
- Natural Treatment from Alzheimer’s Disease – Coconut oil gets digested in the liver quickly creating ketones which provide energy to your brain by processing glucose into energy and that too without using insulin. In case of an Alzheimer’s patient, the ketones derived from the coconut oil would act as an alternate energy source which helps repair functions of the brain.
- Cures Kidney and Urinary Tract Infections – Working as a natural antibiotic, coconut oil disrupts the lipid coating on bacteria and fungus thereby eliminating them once and for all. This helps to cure several urinary tract and kidney infections, which surely makes coconut oil good for you.
- Deals Skin Issues Effectively – Not only is coconut oil a great moisturizer, facial cleanser and sun screen but it also has the ability to cure an array of skin issues. The presence of fatty acids in it help protect the skin from various skin conditions such as dandruff, dermatitis, burns, eczema and psoriasis. Also the presence of antimicrobial properties help eliminate fungal infections from the body.
After knowing about these benefits, you will be able to decide if coconut oil is it good for you or not. With the amazing benefits it has to offer, you can be rest assured that using coconut oil will only make you healthier, fitter and slimmer than before. However, as is the case with all oils, before using it, ensure that you are not allergic to coconut oil.