Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Ways To Get Rid of Cramps
Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps- It is an extremely painful and annoying condition of the foot in which there is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscles of the foot resulting in severe pain which may last for seconds, minutes or even may go up to a few hours.
How Do We Define Foot Cramps Or Toe Cramps?
Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps as stated is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscles of the foot resulting in excruciating pain with inability to move the foot. The affected part of the foot is usually the arch of the foot and the big toes during the episode of such cramps. Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps can come on out of the blue and cause excruciating pain. These pains are usually self limiting and resolve in a matter of minutes but some pains may take a few hours to resolve.
Causes Of Foot Cramps Or Toe Cramps
Some Of The Common Causes Of Foot Cramps Or Toe Cramps Are:
- Footwear: Wearing tight shoes or boots, especially with high heels may result in a Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps. This is generally found in women's shoes which often converge at the tip thus squeezing out the toes.
- Exercises: Long distance runners and individuals who have a habit of walking long distances are also at risk for having Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps. Even spending a lot of time on the treadmill can also be a reason for Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps. Ballet dancing has also been found to cause Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps.
- Calcium Deficiency: Hypocalcemia increases the risk for Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps.
- Medications: Certain asthma, hypertension, or cholesterol medications tend to cause Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps. Hence an individual needs to ask the physician about the medication causing these cramps
Symptoms Of Foot Cramps Or Toe Cramps
Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps are usually characterized by intense sharp pain in the foot with a sensation of a knot in the muscle. It usually resolves on its own within a few seconds to minutes, although some cramps may last for a few hours as well. Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps may also result in the toes curling over each other.
Ways To Get Rid Of Cramps In The Foot And Toe
There Are Quite A Few Things Which One Can Do To Get Rid Of Foot Cramps Or Toe Cramps. Some Of Them Are Mentioned Below:
- Massage: Massaging is perhaps the best way to get rid of Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps. Massaging helps the muscles to relax and calm down and thus relieving the symptoms. Massaging helps in increasing circulation to muscles and as such increasing blood flow and nutrients to the muscles. One can get rid of a Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps by massaging the ball of the foot.
- Application of Heat: Applying heat to the affected area is also a way to get rid of Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps. This can be done either through a heating pad or soaking the foot in warm water which relaxes the muscles and calms it down resulting in pain relief.
- Stretching: Stretching the foot is also quite a beneficial way to treat Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps; gentle stretching when the cramp sets in goes a long way in getting rid of the symptoms. Doing stretches on a regular basis prevents cramping for occurring frequently.
- Diet: Eating a healthy and balanced diet makes sure that there is balanced amount of vitamins and minerals in the body and facilitates appropriate functioning of the muscles and nerves.
- Fluid Intake: Dehydration is found to be a common cause of Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps; therefore, drinking adequate amount of fluids is imperative to prevent Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps, especially in the summer season.
- Proper Footwear: It is imperative to select footwear that are appropriately fitting and are not cramping up the foot. High heels and narrow toed shoes should be avoided and should only be used on occasions.
- Appropriate Exercising: Exercise is important for a healthy living but care should be taken to not exercise too strenuously or vigorously. Adequate warm up and cooling exercises need to be done before beginning and after workouts. In case if an individual has to sit for a prolonged period of time, then it is important to keep the foot moving so as to keep the circulation normal and thus preventing Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps.
- Strengthening Exercises: Strengthening exercises for the foot strengthens the muscles and thus reduces the risk of Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps
- Supplementation: If blood tests indicate deficiency of vitamins or minerals adequate supplementation of the deficient vitamin or mineral is helpful but before beginning any supplements always seek a physician's advice.
- Toe Stretchers: It has been noted that wearing Toe Stretchers for a few hours also decreases the frequency of Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps. Toe Stretchers stretch out the foot muscles and ligaments. It also maintains the alignment of the foot/toes.
Ways to Get Rid of Foot Cramps or Toe Cramps
- Leg Cramps: Causes, Treatment, Prevention
- What Can Cause Leg Cramps and Treatment To Stop Cramping of Leg Muscles
- What Causes Calf Cramps & How to Get Rid of it?
- Muscle Cramps: Causes, Signs, Symptoms and Types of Muscle Cramps
- Treatment for Muscle Cramps, its Recovery Period & Prevention
- Causes of Muscle Cramps After Heavy Exercise & Ways to Get Rid of It