Lactose is a sugar that is found in many of the dairy products. It is broken down to glucose and galactase by the enzyme lactase which is produced by the small intestine. Lactose intolerance is a disease where the lactase enzyme is not produced in adequate amounts to break down all the lactose in your diet. Therefore lactose is fermented by the gut bacteria producing excessive gas and fluid in the intestines leading to bloating, stomach pain, diarrhea and discomfort. There is no cure for lactose intolerance. Usually the body produces some amount of lactose so you can tolerate some food items that contain lactose.
How To Stop Lactose Intolerance Pain?
The only way to stop lactose intolerance pain is by having a lactose free diet or having lactase enzyme supplements when you are taking meals that include lactose.
Lactose Free Diet For Lactose Intolerant
Avoid all food items that contain lactose in it. Lactose is usually found in dairy products. So you really need to look into the list of ingredients before you take any food items to see if there is milk, whey, curd, butter, cheese, cream and yogurt. Food ingredients that may contain lactose are listed at the very end. Make sure you look carefully.
You can have the following foods items (which are lactose free or made with lactose free dairy products) for lactose intolerance pain:
- Soy milk
- Almond milk
- Rice milk
- Coconut milk
- Nondairy creams
- Lactose free cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream and curd
- Lactose free breads and starches
- Margarine without butter or milk
- Fruits and vegetables – without any milk products
- All fresh cooked, plain meats, fish, & poultry
- Peanut butter, nuts, & seeds
- Lactose free soups sauces, seasonings
- Lactose free sweets or deserts
Do Not Have Lactose Foods When In Lactose Intolerance
- Cakes, biscuits, bread, any desert that made with milk
- Creamed vegetables
- Fruit smoothies made with yogurt
- Fruits or vegetables processed with lactose
- Main dishes with cheese such as pizza, burritos, tacos, or casseroles
- Meats in cream sauces
- Omelets or soufflés with milk
- Soup mixes with milk products
- Whipped cream
- White sauces & gravies
Some ingredients may sound like it has lactose, but it’s not lactose
- Lactic acid
- Sodium lactate
- Cocoa butter
- Apple butter
Lactase Enzyme Supplements For Lactose Intolerance
Another way to stop the lactose intolerance pain is having lactase enzyme supplements when you have lactose containing food. These supplements are available as syrup (for small children), tablets or chewable tablets. Supplements contain the lactase enzyme and it will break down the lactose in the food.
Lactose Intolerance Pill Brand Names
- Dairy digest
Some Facts About Lactase Supplements For Managing Lactose Intolerance Pain:
-The lactase supplements should be taken just before the meal or with the first bite.
-Do not take it before 20 to 30 min before meals as it will not bring the desired effect.
-Also start the pill with a small amount of food serving (e.g. a half bowl of cereal), then gradually increase the amount of serving if you tolerate it well the next time.
-The disadvantage of having a lactose free diet is you will lack the important nutrients and vitamins such as calcium, vitamin D, and riboflavin. By taking lactase enzyme supplements with food you will get these nutrients. If not you will have to take additional calcium and vitamin supplements.
-Side effects are very rare with lactase supplements, as this is an enzyme that is naturally produced in the body. A very serious allergic reaction to lactase is rare. If you get one, please consult your doctor.
-For adult it’s advised not to take more than two pills at a time for managing lactose intolerance pain.
There is no cure for lactose intolerance. The only way to stop the lactose intolerance pain is by having a lactose free diet or taking lactase enzyme supplements when you are consuming lactose containing food. There are so many lactose free food products available now; you need to carefully check the list of ingredients before you take any food items to see if there is lactose. Lactase enzyme supplements can be taken just before you consume any lactose food, start with a small portion of serving, if you tolerate well gradually increase the portion. Do not take more than two pills at a time.
- Lactose Intolerance or Lactase Deficiency- Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Home Remedies
- Acute Abdominal Pain Due to Lactose Intolerance
- Can Lactose Intolerance be Reversed?
- 10 Simple Home Remedies for Lactose Intolerance Attack
- Do Probiotics Help with Lactose Intolerance?
- How Long Does It Take For Lactose Intolerance Symptoms To Appear?
- Is Lactose Intolerance Curable?
- What Is The Best Medicine For Lactose Intolerance?
- Is Greek Yogurt Good For Lactose Intolerance?
- How Do You Prevent Lactose Intolerance?