Do you have weird sensations in your legs when you sit still or lie down? Do your legs twitch while you are sleeping at night? Well, these are indicators of restless legs syndrome. Here are some tips to manage restless legs syndrome (RLS) to help you manage the condition better.
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a disorder in which you feel a strong urge to move your legs.1 Some also feel pricking, creeping, crawling or aching sensations in the legs while sitting or lying down. These symptoms tend to ease off when you move your legs, hence the restlessness. Restless legs syndrome (RLS) can be caused by certain underlying health conditions like diabetes, sleep apnea, thyroid problem, fibromyalgia, varicose veins, Parkinson’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease, nutritional deficiencies and even certain medications. Many women also experience restless legs syndrome during their pregnancy. To be able to control this situation, it is necessary to know the tips to manage restless legs syndrome (RLS) effectively.
Tips To Manage Restless legs syndrome
Restless legs syndrome does not lead to major health problem, but can cause fatigue and difficulty in sleeping. There are no known treatments for restless legs syndrome; however, with effective strategies, you can manage the condition better.
Here are some of the effective tips to manage restless legs syndrome (RLS). A healthy diet, regular exercises and an appropriate lifestyle can help to manage restless legs syndrome effectively.
Exercise Tips to Manage Restless legs syndrome
Tips to manage restless legs syndrome include stretching, movement and regular exercises.
- One of the simplest tips to manage restless legs syndrome (RLS) is to perform regular exercises and warm up movements. You can stretch your legs in the morning and before bedtime to ease the symptoms of restless legs syndrome (RLS).
- Plan your exercise regimen properly and spread your exercises between morning and evening. Regular walking or jogging can help. Avoid strenuous exercises or gym in late evenings, as they can sometimes cause more stimulation and trigger symptoms of restless legs syndrome.
- When at work, try and take a short break and walk or do stretches for 10 minutes. When driving or traveling in a car for long hours, stop frequently for a good stretch.
- When traveling in a flight, request for an aisle seat and get up frequently to maintain good circulation.
Lifestyle Modification Tips To Manage Restless legs syndrome
Just as stretching and exercises, relaxation and healthy diet plays an important role too. Some of the lifestyle modification tips to manage restless legs syndrome (RLS) are given here:
- While a warm morning shower can relieve your restless legs syndrome symptoms, try a warm shower in the evening too. Even a soak in warm water works wonders. It will not only help relax your muscles and manage restless legs syndrome, but also improve your sleep.
- Another important of the tips to manage restless legs syndrome is giving gentle massage. Massaging the leg gently can prove helpful in easing the mind and body, and relieving the restless legs.
- A healthy, balanced diet is an essential part of the lifestyle modification tips to manage restless legs syndrome. Make sure your diet includes whole gains, fresh fruits, vegetables, water and fluids.
- Avoid stimulants like caffeinated beverages or alcohol as they can worsen leg restlessness. Avoid processed, refined and heavily seasoned foods.
- Another necessary aspect is managing injuries, pain or medical conditions, as they can worsen the symptoms of restless legs syndrome. You can apply ice packs to injured or painful areas to relieve pain and restlessness of legs.
- For any medical conditions, it is necessary to seek medical advice and take the right treatment. Also, talk to your physician about any medications or herbal supplements you are taking, to avoid triggers. As nutritional deficiencies also contribute to restless legs syndrome, appropriate supplementation can be considered.
- One of the most effective lifestyle modification tips to manage restless legs syndrome is to manage stress. Practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation regularly to reduce RLS symptoms.
These are just few tips to manage restless legs syndrome. As the condition affects each person differently, you can keep a close watch on your RLS triggers and avoid them to stay healthy.
- Shaking of Legs or Leg Tremors: Classification, Types, Causes, Tests, Treatment
- Restless legs syndrome or RLS or Willis-Ekbom Disease: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
- 11 Facts about Restless Legs Syndrome that Everyone Should Know
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Restless legs syndrome