“Recovery is not for people who need it. It is for those who want it!” Workouts and rest, both of these keep importance in each one’s life. If you are someone who has grown sore muscles, meeting with the post workout pain and actually want to come out of the muscle pain and soreness then you must be looking for some of the tricks to get rid of the same. In this current article, we will be discussing about why is it important to have post workout recovery and put some limelight on some of the major ways to remove the muscle pain and soreness after workout.1 So go through an eye read on the topic “post workout recovery.”
Causes Of Muscle Pain And Soreness Post Workout:
Muscle soreness is common complaints by people after workout, running or weight lifting. Sore muscles are normal after workout sessions and sometimes are accompanied by severe muscle pain. Why not take a look on what can be the causes of these post workout muscle soreness? Check the list below.
- Working On Dormant Lain Muscles Can Cause Muscle Soreness: When you start workout for the first time in years you feel the soreness to its peak after workout. This is because your lain muscles which remained dormant for long are being worked upon.
- Muscle Soreness and Muscle Pain In The Over-Worked Muscles: Even if you work out regularly you can feel the muscle pain and soreness in the muscle groups you have laid more stress or overworked.
- Weight Lifting and Muscle Soreness: Weight lifting can cause severe muscle pain and sore muscles. It must be noted that lifting too much of weight can cause muscle tear and lead to serious injuries which might take several days to heal.
Post Workout Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS):
Feeling tenderness of muscle, having stiff joints after workout is common and is absolutely normal. However having muscle soreness that is real painful enough to touch or having sharp pains in the joints is not at all normal. Muscle soreness is not experienced immediately after workout. It usually takes a day or two days time to show its symptoms and thus is referred to as DOMS or the “Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.”2 This term is used by the US exercise geeks. If you have the post DOMS that hurts to giggle, sneeze etc you definitely need to take immediate care on it and work on the recovery process.
How To Recover From Muscle Pain and Soreness After A Workout:
Let us now come down straight to the ways of recovering self from post workout muscle soreness. Check below the list of post workout recovery steps.
- Massage The Sore Muscles: Massaging prompts enough of muscle relaxation. So, do massage the sore muscles after workout so as to keep the muscle contraction to its minimum and prevent the excessive pain in muscle soreness. Massaging with the jets of hot tub can provide enough of muscle relaxation.
- Keep The Body Hydrated: It is essential to keep safe from being dehydrated. So take adequate amount of water after workout and keep the body hydrated. As a lot of water is lost from the body in form of sweat while workouts, it is important to replace the same with water or other healthy fluids after workouts. Water helps in metabolic functions of the body and assists in improving the endurance.
- Take An Ice Bath: Many athletes claim that taking ice bath has benefited them from getting rid of the severe muscle soreness after their intense activities. It is believed cold water is essential for improving circulation and reducing the pain and soreness of the muscle. The story behind it is that repeated constricting and dilating of blood vessels help in eradicating the waste products from the tissues.
- Eat Healthy: “Your diet decides the path of your recovery!” Make sure you are eating healthy after workouts. Take enough of protein and complex carbohydrates so as to help repair and build the muscle tissue and grow endurance.
- Do Gentle Movements For Healthy Circulation: Healthy transport of nutrients in the body and quick removal of waste products from the body helps in easy and fast muscle repair and quick recovery from muscle soreness. This can be done with proper blood circulation which aids in promoting healthy transport of nutrients and waste products. Doing gentle movements after workouts can help you enhance the circulation of blood in a much effective way.
- Perform Stretches For Muscle Recovery Post Workout: Do some gentle stretches to help relax your muscles after workout. This is one important step to follow after workout.
- Carry Out Muscle Compression: Muscle compression is also essential in post workout recovery period. Simply wrap the sore muscles with the help of an elastic muscle in a way that it is snug but not tight enough to restrict the blood flow. This will help you limit the muscle movement for some time and help you heal soreness of muscle in a better way
- Have Rest At Its Best: “Nothing works as well as rest in the process of healing!” Make sure you are resting enough after workouts so as to allow your muscle get relaxed and keep safe from excessive soreness or pain in muscle.
- Take Quality Sleep: While the body is sleeping, it produces enough of growth hormone in it which aids in muscle and tissue repair. So, it is highly essential to have proper sleep if you are a person doing regular workouts.
- Add Meditation To Your Routine: Keeping calm at mind is also essential for having a quick recovery from any physical injury. It is good to practice some mental exercises so as to keep your body and mind relaxed. Adding meditation to your daily routine will benefit you greatly in any kind of recovery.
Points To Be Considered While Working Out To Prevent Muscle Soreness:
There are some special ways you can avoid or reduce the muscle soreness to be followed while working out. Check them out below.
- Doing warm-ups and cool downs between the sets can help you reduce the chance of muscle soreness.
- Be sure you are taking time to breath properly before doing the next sets
- Stretch your muscles before starting the next set. Loosening muscles and increasing flexibility of the muscle groups will reduce the chances of post workout muscle soreness.
- One more important point to be considered is doing alternative light and heavy workouts to prevent or reduce muscle soreness and injury.
Pre-Workout Steps To Keep In Mind For Quality Recovery:
Now, if you were stuck with the belief that post workout recovery is limited to the steps followed during and after recovery, then you are going wrong here! The quality of recovery after workout also depends on pre-workout steps followed by you. So let us check some of the most essential steps to be kept in mind before workout.
- Take quality lean protein, complex carbohydrates in case you are planning for intense workouts.
- It is good to take your meal at least two hours before your workout so as to prevent self from any digestion issues, cramps etc.
- Efficient absorption by the muscle cells is possible if you take BCCA before and while doing your workouts.
- Rest and sleep is also important for keeping the muscles relaxed.
Final Note To End:
They say, “Recovery is a process of growth!” Make sure you are not coming down by your growth level. Perform your workouts, gain the endurance and fitness your body and mind actually requires and keep safe from the drastic pain and soreness that keeps your growth limited. Hope the above mentioned recovery steps must have benefited you to some extent in easing muscle pain and soreness after workout. Do consult your fitness expert to come up with more practical ways of post workout recovery.
“You are capable and worthy of recovery!!”