Muscle cramps refer to an involuntary movement of one or more muscles that is very sudden and extremely painful.1
What Is The Best Supplement For Muscle Cramps?
Most of the physicians recommend magnesium supplements commonly to reduce muscle cramping. However, not every case of muscle cramps is benefited by this and there are many other supplements that can be important in the treatment of muscle cramps. These supplements are described below-
Magnesium For Muscle Cramps –
- Magnesium deficiency is quite common in people 2
- Though it may not be very severe, it may be bad enough to cause muscle cramps
- Magnesium is an electrolyte which is required for maintaining the function of muscles
- In order for potassium, another mineral and electrolyte, to reach your muscles, magnesium is required.
- Both magnesium and potassium work together in order to prevent muscle cramps
- Nuts, seeds, figs etc. are few of the rich sources of magnesium
- Magnesium supplements are also recommended in case magnesium is not obtained in enough quantities from the diet alone
However, magnesium is to be taken only in a recommended dosage from the physician. Too much magnesium can give you a stomach upset, and excess of minerals is quite bad for the body even otherwise.
Potassium For Muscle Cramps –
- Potassium is also an electrolyte in the body
- Electrolytes conduct electricity and thus send muscle messages through the body
- Reduction in potassium may result in muscle cramping 3
- Bananas, salmon, legumes and dairy products are good sources of potassium
- Additionally, supplements can be taken if dietary potassium isn’t enough
However, as with any mineral, potassium should also be taken only in recommended amounts from the physician
Vitamins For Muscle Cramps –
- Vitamins of the B complex group. Especially vit B12 is a good supplement for the treatment of muscle cramps
- B group vitamins are very essential for cellular health and a good brain and nerve functioning
- B vitamins are also essential for a good cardiovascular functioning
- B vitamins also affect the hormone production to some extent as per some studies
- This important group of vitamins can be extremely beneficial in treating and preventing muscle cramps
Vitamin E For Muscle Cramps –
- Vitamin E deficiency can lead to muscle cramps according to some studies.
- Not many foods contain vitamin E. Hence, sometimes it may become necessary to include a vitamin E supplement with your diet.
- Vitamin E is a great anti-oxidant, which helps in fighting the free radicals in your body. Free radicals play a part in muscle cramping too. Hence, taking a vitamin E supplement may help in treating and preventing muscle cramps.
Zinc For Muscle Cramps –
- Zinc acts as a support in various body functions
- It helps in building a healthy immune system, enhancing healing process, boost memory and learning, reducing age-related health problems and also aids in fertility issues
- Zinc can be helpful in muscle cramps of specific origin, like those seen in menstruation
There are foods that can be taken as supplements when suffering from muscle cramps. These may include-
- Dark green vegetables
- Leafy greens
- Lemons and other citrus fruits
- Nuts and seeds
- Sweet potatoes
- Legumes, beans and lentils
- Pickle juice
- Salmon, trout or sardines
Drinking enough water to maintain hydration can ensure that you don’t lose on the much-needed electrolytes, as this can lead to muscle cramps
Muscle cramps can also be treated with various other methods-
- Stretching and massaging the cramped muscle
- Gently rubbing the affected muscle to make it relaxed
- Pulling your toes towards yourself may help in relaxing the cramped muscle. This is helpful for both the calf and the thigh muscle cramp
- Applying heat or cold on the affected area can help in easing the tensed muscle. You can use a hot compress or a cooling pad for the same. Massaging the cramped muscle with the help of ice can also be helpful
- Supplements like potassium, magnesium, calcium, vitamin E and B12 can be helpful in muscle cramps.
- Muscle Cramps: Causes, Signs, Symptoms and Types of Muscle Cramps
- Treatment for Muscle Cramps, its Recovery Period & Prevention
- Causes of Muscle Cramps After Heavy Exercise & Ways to Get Rid of It
- Causes of Muscle Cramps During Pregnancy
- How Do You Get Rid Of Muscle Cramps Fast?
- Does A Hot Bath Help Muscle Cramps?
- Is Hot Water Good For Muscle Cramps?