The body contains of a complicated system of muscles. Muscle pain or commonly called myalgia has a chance to arise in just any part of your body. This is viewed as the most common complaint that results from overexertion at the time of your activities. This pain generally becomes evident within 12-48 hours post your activity. Sometimes, muscle pain turns as a matter of little annoyance but sometimes, it takes a bad shape and turns tougher for you for carrying out your day-to-day activities. Nearly, everybody has undergone discomfort in their muscles sometimes in their life. As muscle tissue is present in almost every part of your body so you can feel its pain anywhere in your body.
Causes of Muscle Pain
Actually, most of the times people who experience pain in muscles can pinpoint the cause easily because, in the majority of situations, myalgia generates from lots of physical activity, stress, and tension. However, the common causes are:
- Muscle tension in either one or other parts of the body
- Overuse your muscles at the time of your physical activity
- Muscle injury while indulging in exercise or physically demanding activities.
Sometimes, muscle pain also arises due to some medical conditions like:
- Infections such as like polio, bacterial infections or flu
- Fibromyalgia 1
- Autoimmune disorders, like dermatomyositis, polymyositis, and lupus
- Low potassium, known as hypokalemia 2
- Thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism
- Using certain medicines, like ACE inhibitors, cocaine, or statins.
What’s Good for Muscle Pain?
Aches in muscles habitually give a good response when it is treated at home. The first and foremost thing to keep in mind is to drink lots of water to keep your body away from dehydration.3 Remember, lack of water results in muscles getting tender, light and easily injured. Nonetheless, there are some measures that you can take for getting relief from muscle discomfort like:
- Giving rest to that part of your body where there are pains and aches.
- Taking one over-the-counter pain-relieving medication, like ibuprofen.
- You can also apply ice to your affected part to get relief from pain plus to lessen inflammation.
You can apply ice for 1-3 days succeeding sprain or strain plus you can apply heat for the pain that continues to remain even after three days. However, there are other measures too which turn helpful for providing relief from pain in muscles and they include:
- Averting high-impact deeds until your muscle pain vanishes totally
- Stretching the muscles gently
- Give your body the rest it needs
- Involve in stress-relieving exercises and activities, like meditation and yoga
- You must also avoid weight-lifting periods till your muscle pain is active.
Home Remedies for Muscle Pain
Trying out a few natural home remedies are hugely helpful for leaving a relaxing impact on your muscles. These home remedies will lessen your pain in a relatively short period of time. The home remedies are mentioned below:
- Cold Pack for Muscle Pain: You can apply one cold pack on your affected muscle for lessening inflammation and pain. The cold will hinder the blood flow into that area, thus, reducing the pain sensation.
- Hot Water Soaks to Relieve Muscle Pain: When you have experienced pain for nearly 24 hours, one hot water soak will definitely be of help to provide pain relief and fast relaxation. This process will also promote an increased blood flow. Additionally, it will speed up your healing process. However, do not try this remedy during the initial 24 hours.
- Tart Cherry as a Home Remedy for Muscle Pain: The tart cherries are hugely helpful in preventing muscle pain that arises post-exercise. Based on a study it has been discovered that there are numerous anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds present in these tart cherries which can lessen muscle pain and inflammation.
- Turmeric for Muscle Pain: Turmeric acts as an active anti-inflammatory and painkilling agent. A teaspoon of turmeric powder is required to be mixed in a cup of milk. After this, you can heat it on a low flame. You can sip it slowly and it would be highly beneficial for quick internal healing.
- Ginger to Relieve Muscle Pain: This compound acts as one natural anti-inflammatory product and this greatly improves blood flow and blood circulation besides relieving muscle pain.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Reducing Muscle Pain: This compound is also a great remedy for muscle pain. Apple cider vinegar has got alkalizing and anti-inflammatory agents which lessen inflammation and muscle pain.
Muscle pain can be trivial but sometimes it gets unbearable. If it turns so unbearable that you can’t walk or run and it continues for a considerable amount of time then you should see a doctor. Sometimes, a rare case of Iliotibial Band Syndrome turns out to be threatening, but the good news is this problem can be identified and can be treated too. So, it can be summed up that you should not let your muscle pain stop your daily activities.
- Pulled Neck Muscle or Neck Strain: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
- Pulled Calf Muscle
- Pulled Hamstring Muscles
- Calf Pain or Calf Muscle Pain: Causes, Diagnosis, Investigations, Treatment, PT
- Tight Calf Muscles: Causes, Treatment- Stretching Exercises, Gastrocnemius, Soleus