MS or multiple sclerosis is a disease of the spinal cord and the brain, which is pretty disabling.
Alternative Treatment For Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis cannot be cured, but there are many treatments available that will help reducing the symptoms and slow down the progression of the disease. Medications and physical therapy are two of such treatment options. However, if you do not want to embrace this line of treatment, then there are still a number of other alternative methods or therapies that can provide you with a relief from the condition. These alternative treatment methods include yoga, meditation, relaxation, massage, acupuncture and herbal and natural remedies.
These therapies will not provide you with a cure for the disease, but they have been found to be immensely beneficial in reducing the severity of the condition, especially when they are used with other regular treatment. It is advisable however, to talk with your doctor before staring on these therapies.
Some alternative therapies suggested for multiple sclerosis are-
- It is extremely important that people with multiple sclerosis eat a balanced and a nutritious meal
- Multiple sclerosis tends to make you fatigued and extremely tired
- You may feel a loss of energy on doing even the slightest of activity at times
- A healthy meal will ensure that you get the required number of calories as well as the necessary nutrition to keep up your energy levels
- Exercises like those done in yoga can help enormously in reducing stress
- These will also help you in relaxing and increase your stamina and energy
- They will also help you in improving your balance and flexibility
- Massages will help you in reducing depression and combat stress
- It will also help you relax and focus better
- Though massages will not change the course of the disease, they will still help you in fighting the disease off by making your muscles strong and helping you to relax
- However, those suffering from osteoporosis and other such conditions should seek advise from their doctor first
Evening Primrose Oil-
- Taking evening primrose oil or linoleic acid as supplements may show some improvement in MS condition
- Sunflower and safflower oils contain linoleic acid
- Acupuncture is a practice which works by placing needles at particular points in our body
- Many people with multiple sclerosis claim that they get relief from symptoms like pain, bladder problems or muscle spasms with the use of acupuncture therapy
- Whatever the claims these therapies make, it is always advisable to talk with your doctor before starting on any of these. These therapies may benefit some, while they may not show the slightest of change in others. Or even worse, they can prove to be harmful if taken wrongly.
- It is best to speak to others who have taken that experience. Their views may help you change your perspective. Also, those experienced may help you guide on which place to choose for these treatments.
Coping With Multiple Sclerosis
Being diagnosed with any chronic disease can be frustrating and an overwhelming experience. It can be quite difficult to live with the knowledge that you suffer from a chronic ailment. To reduce the stress associated with managing the multiple sclerosis condition, some things can be considered-
- It is best to go on with normal daily activities as much as you can
- Having the support of family and friends can help you go a long way
- Taking up and pursuing the hobbies and activities that you enjoy can keep stress off your mind
- Being a part of a support group that involves other people like you can be helpful in discussing your condition
- Talk to your doctor and counselor about your concerns
Alternative treatments can act as supportive therapies for your regular multiple sclerosis treatment. They have proven to be beneficial in several cases. However, it is advisable not to switch these for your regular treatment and especially not without consulting your doctor, as this can prove to be quite dangerous.
- Difference Between Neuromyelitis Optica and Multiple Sclerosis
- Can Medical Marijuana Treat Multiple Sclerosis or MS?
- Remedies to Combat Constipation In Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Common Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis in Women
- What Kind Of Pain Does Multiple Sclerosis Cause?
- How Do You Get Multiple Sclerosis?
- What Happens To A Person With Multiple Sclerosis?