Is Walking Good For Peripheral Neuropathy & What About The Usage Of Compression Socks?
Peripheral neuropathy is a condition that results from damage to the peripheral nerves- that is, the nerves outside of the brain and spinal column. This condition leads to symptoms like weakness, pain, and numbness. The symptoms are usually seen developing in the hands and feet however, other areas of the body can also be affected.(1)
Is Walking Good For Peripheral Neuropathy?
Walking or any other kind of physical exercise may help in alleviating pain related to peripheral neuropathy. Walking or exercise can help in improving the muscle movements and increase muscle strength. Exercise like walking may also help in controlling the blood sugar levels, which is of most importance when the comes to managing any neuropathy.(2)
Usage Of Compression Socks For Peripheral Neuropathy
Compression socks may help in relieving edema if any. However, symptoms like the pain will not vanish with the use of compression socks.
The treatment of peripheral neuropathy mainly focuses on treating the cause of the condition and relieving the symptoms of its condition. If there are no underlying conditions diagnosed, then the treatment may only consist of a watchful waiting period, to see if the peripheral neuropathy goes away.
Medicines are used to treat the cause of peripheral neuropathy. they are also used to relieve the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy. these medicines may include-
- Over the counter pain, medicines are used to manage peripheral neuropathy pain.
- These may include medicines like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Prescription drugs may be needed if the pain is severe and your doctor may write up some for you.
- Opioid medications may help in pain relief however, these are only used when other options or treatments fail to work. These medicines can cause addiction and dependence, hence, need to be used cautiously.
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy may be useful in the management of pain related to peripheral neuropathy.
- However, these may cause unwanted side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, etc.
- Lidocaine patches may help in relieving pain.
- However, these may cause side effects like numbness at the site of application, drowsiness, dizziness, etc.
- Capsaicin cream may help in relieving pain. These creams contain a component found in hot peppers, which helps in relieving the pain significantly. However, these medicines may cause a burning sensation at the site of application. This may get better over time, but for some, it is simply unbearable.
- These medicines may help in interfering with the chemical processes in the brain and spinal cord, which are responsible for making you feel pain.
- By interfering with these chemicals, it helps you in managing pain in peripheral neuropathy
- These may include medicines like amitriptyline, doxepin, nortriptyline, etc.
Other Methods Of Treatment-
Many other methods and therapies help in managing the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy. these may include-
TENS or Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation-
In this method, electrodes are attached on your skin and a mild electric current is delivered at different frequencies for about a month, for a period of a half-hour.
Intravenous Immune Globulin And Plasma Exchange Therapy-
These are the procedures in which your immune system is suppressed and may be helpful in people having various inflammatory conditions.
- This may be helpful in muscle weakness, as it may help in improving muscle movement and strength.
- Walking and light exercises may also help.
If the cause for the peripheral neuropathy is pressure upon nerves, like due to the tumor pressing on the nerves, there may be a need for surgery to remove the cause and release the pressure.(2)
Walking and light exercises are good for neuropathy as they may help in relieving pain and improving muscle movement and strength. Compression socks may help in relieving any inflammation.
- Can Peripheral Neuropathy Go Away On Its Own?
- Best Exercises/Activities For Peripheral Neuropathy
- Home Remedies For Peripheral Neuropathy
- Is There A Surgery For Peripheral Neuropathy?
- What Are The Ways To Prevent Peripheral Neuropathy & Does It Reoccur?
- How Common Is Peripheral Neuropathy or Is It A Rare Disease?