Clindamycin is a type of antibiotic that helps in fighting bacteria in the human body. It is used for treating serious infections which are caused by bacteria.
Clindamycin causes diarrhea that maybe serious or probably lead to life-threatening intestinal issues. If you have diarrhea which is very bloody or watery, do not use clindamycin anymore and immediately see your doctor.
It is recommended to take Clindamycin for exact amount of time that is prescribed. There are chances that your symptoms may improve even before the infection is completely healed. If you skip doses, the risk of infection resistant to antibiotics may increase. You must know that clindamycin cannot treat any viral infection like flu or common cold.
If you are required to undergo a surgery, inform your doctor that you have been using this medicine. You will have to stop using clindamycin for that particular time.
How Clindamycin Works?
Clindamycin is a kind of antibiotic which works by inhibiting bacteria-protein synthesis. It is used for treating numerous infections like infections caused by anaerobic ("living without air") bacteria.
How Effective is Clindamycin?
Clindamycin effectively helps in treating numerous infections like those occurring in genitourinary area, lower respiratory tract, in soft tissue and skin, gastrointestinal tract and abdomen.
- Clindamycin should be taken with or without food.
- Clindamycin must be taken as instructed and for the exact prescribed time period.
- Clindamycin is recommended to use this medicine only when described by your doctor for treating infections caused by bacteria. Improper use of this medicine my increase the risk of resistant developing of bacteria.
- Immediately report to your doctor if you suffer from diarrhea that has occurred during clindamycin administration or in the following months.
- Some strength like 150mgs capsules contain C Yellow No. 5 (tartrazine) and FD which might have caused allergic reactions. People who have aspirin sensitivity are more at risk.
The response and effectiveness is excellent. Clindamycin may reach peak concentration within 45 minutes of administration. Although, it may take up to 48 hours for the infection symptoms to abate.
Do not use clindamycin if you have lincomycin allergy or clindamycin allergy. To know if clindamycin suits you, inform your physician if you are suffering from:
- An intestinal disorder
- Allergic skin reaction
- Colitis or Crohn's disease
- Eczema, liver disease or asthma
- If you are allergic to aspirin, yellow food dye
- If you are taking erythromycin.
Clindamycin is expected to harm the unborn babies. If the patient is planning to become a mother or is pregnant, they have to inform their doctor about it. Clindamycin may get into the breast milk and thus, harm the baby. Never breast feed while taking this medicine.
Do not give Clindamycin injection to a child without proper medical monitoring and advice. The injectable medicine contains ingredient causing side effect or death in premature babies or infants.
What are the Side Effects of Clindamycin?
Just like any other medicine, Clindamycin also have side effects. Get emergency help if you have any signs of allergic reactions like swollen throat, tongue, lips or face; difficult breathing or hives. It is recommended to call your doctor if you have the following:
- A metallic taste in your mouth
- No or little urination
- Change in bowel movements
- Severe skin reactions like peeling and blistering, purple or red skin rash on the face or upper body, skin pain, burning sensation in eyes, swelling of tongue or face, sore throat or fever.
- Inflammation of your body including swollen glands. Trouble breathing, worsening or new cough, fever, chest pain, yellowing of eyes or skin, jaundice, upper stomach pain, muscle weakness, numbness or severe tingling, easy bruising and bleeding, and flu symptoms.
Some common side effects of clindamycin are:
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Mild skin rash
- Stomach pain, vomiting or nausea.
- Side effects like liver function test abnormalities, metallic or unpleasant taste, nausea, abdominal discomfort and skin reactions are also seen.
- If you suffer serious diarrhea after the use of clindamycin. Diarrhea may even occur for more than two months after taking clindamycin.
Clindamycin is a type of antibiotic which effectively treats anaerobic infections, those caused without the presence of air. This medicine must be stopped if you suffer from severe diarrhea during the treatment.