Horizant is not suggested for people who are supposed to sleep in the day time and stay awake in the night. The effectiveness of Horizant in treatment of mild to serious primary RLS or Restless Legs Syndrome is verified in two 12 week medical trials in grownups.
How Effective is Horizant?
Horizant (gabapentin enacarbil) extended release pills have been permitted by U.S. Food and Administration (FDA) to effectively treat mild to serious basic restless leg syndrome in grownups.
Horizant is the medicine in its category to be permitted to treat mild to severe RLS syndrome. Horizant is also accepted for the administration of postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) in grownups.
- Horizant medication is effectively utilized in treatment of mild to serious primary Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
- Horizant is not an alternative medicine of gabapentin, for instance Gralise or Neurontin and should never be used in its place.
- It is not established if horizant is harmless and successful in children.
Before Using Horizant
To be safe with horizant, inform your doctor if you have:
- Kidney disease or on dialysis treatment.
- Mood issues, suicidal behaviors or thoughts, have or had depression.
- Are you pregnant or planning to get pregnant? It is not established whether horizant can hurt your unborn child. Inform your doctor if you are planning to be or are pregnant while using Horizant. Your doctor will determine if you can use this medicine while pregnant.
- Our bodies translates horizant drug into gabapentin that can mix with breast milk. It is not clear if this can herm your nursing baby. Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding while using horizant, and the doctor will determine if the drug is safe for your nursing baby.
Inform your doctor of all the drugs you are using. This includes vitamins, herbal medicines and over counter. Do not take any new drug without telling your doctor
Keep a record of all the drugs you are using and show it to your pharmacist or doctor when given a new drug.
How to Use Horizant?
Strictly use Horizant as advised by your doctor.
- Always take horizant once with meal about 5pm daily. In case you miss your dose wait until the next day around the same time take it.
- Never chew, break or crush Horizant pills. Take it whole.
- In case of an overdose while taking horizant contact your doctor immediately or rush to your nearest clinic or hospital.
What are the Side Effects of Horizant?
You should not drive or operate machinery after taking horizant including morning hours. Wait you see how this medicine will affect you. This is because Horizant can cause side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, slow thinking as well as interfering with your coordination ability. You should inquire from your doctor when to perform such duties after taking Horizant.
Horizant can also cause suicidal behavior or thoughts in a small fraction of people (1 in every 500.)
Contact your doctor immediately if you suffer from any of these severe side effects of horizant:
- Thinking about suicide or dying
- Trying to kill yourself
- Worsening or new depression
- Feeling angry
- Worsening or new anxiety
- Feeling restless
- Having pain attacks
- A worsening or new problems with sleep (insomnia)
- Irritability condition that is worse or new
- Functioning on life threatening impulses
- Being aggressive, violent or acting agitated
- An excessive upsurge in talking and activity (mania)
- And other unfamiliar changes in how you behave.
How Will I Know That Am Suffering From Early Symptoms Of Suicidal Thoughts?
- Keenly monitor any changes you may have, particularly abrupt changes in behavior, mood, feelings and thoughts.
- You should also attend all the meetings scheduled to see your doctor.
- Make sure that you talk to your doctor between visits as required, particularly when you are bothered about your symptoms.
- You should not stop your Horizant dose before consulting with your doctor. Suicidal behaviors or thoughts may be as a result of other problems and not medicine. If you experience suicidal actions or thoughts, your physician may look for other causes.