Most of us have experienced suicidal thoughts or suicidal ideations at some point or the other in our life. Feeling suicidal is not a defect that is a part of your character. Having suicidal thoughts & feelings does not mean that you are weak, flawed or crazy. It only means that you are experiencing too much of pain that you can deal with right now. This hurting seems permanent and overwhelming only in the present time. When you have enough support and time, you will be able to overcome these issues and concentrate on tackling such suicidal feelings or ideations.
Natural Ways to Cope with Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings
Promise to not Take any Drastic Steps When you are Experiencing Feelings and Thoughts of Suicide
If you are having suicidal thoughts and feelings, then this is not the right time to take any decisions or actions. By doing this, you will be naturally able to survive these suicidal thoughts and feelings. Even if you are experiencing immense pain right now, try to provide space between your action and thoughts. Promise yourself, to not lash out and take some time before taking any kind of decision.
Thoughts and actions have to never go hand in hand. If you have suicidal thoughts, does not mean you have to bring them to reality. There is no ultimatum and you do not have to act on those things that hit your brain. Wait, take some time to relax and put sufficient distance between your suicidal thoughts and actions.
Avoiding Drugs and Alcohol Helps to Cope with Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings Naturally
Your thoughts and feelings on suicide can become stronger when you are in contact with alcohol or drugs, so avoiding them are a natural way to contend the suicidal thoughts and feelings. It has to be noted that the drugs that are not prescribed, when taken with alcohol can worsen your feelings. You will begin to feel hopeless and think more about suicide.
Make your Home Safe as a Way to Naturally Cope with Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings
By Segregating all the things that you could use for hurting yourself like knives, pills, razors and firearms, you will be able to naturally cope with suicidal thoughts and feelings. If you are unable to collect all these things and put them away, stay in a place where you feel completely safe. If it comes to your mind about taking an overdose of a particular medicine, handover your pills to somebody who can give them to you on time when you are supposed to take them.
“Hope” – is the Key to Overcome the Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings in a Natural Way
Even people who are feeling bad as you are now learn to manage their feelings just to survive. Feel hopeful about naturally handling these suicidal thoughts and feelings. There is a ray of hope for you survive through all such feelings no matter how hopeless, isolated or self loathed you are feeling in the present moment. Give yourself some time to cope with the feelings and never try to do all such things alone.
Sharing your Thoughts and Feelings with Someone is a Natural Way to Survive Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings
Sharing your thoughts and feelings with somebody is a natural way to cope with suicidal thoughts and feelings. Most people find it easier to handle their suicidal thoughts when they share their feeling with some trustworthy person. It may be a therapist, friend, teacher, member of the clergy, coach, an experienced counselor or a doctor as well. As long as there are people whom you can trust, seek their help for feeling better from all such suicidal thoughts and feelings. There is no need to feel ashamed, fearful or embarrassed when you are seeking help from any other person as long as you are feeling good about it. Speaking about the way you are feeling can vent a lot of pressure that is built up in your head and you can also find a way to cope with it.
Recognizing Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings
Emotional pain of various kinds can often lead to suicidal thoughts. The reason for such pain is uniquely related to each individual and the ability to cope with them also differs in a huge way. Do not listen to such people that you are thoughts are not enough for being suicidal. Each person is different and what might be bearable for others might not be bearable for you. However, there are some common factors that can lead to causing suicidal feelings and thoughts.
Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings are Often Connected with the Problems that can be Treated
Alcohol dependency or drugs, depression, loss, legal, financial or problems at school or college or work; anxiety disorders and other issues in life can cause huge emotional distress. They also intervene with the ability to handle the troublesome situation. Even if you are not able to see them now, there are many new ways through which you can find the perfect solution for all such problems.
Several mental illnesses like anxiety, depression and bipolar disorder can be treated by making some significant changes in therapy, lifestyle and medication. People who seek help from others are the ones who make some constructive changes in their life and recover from the situation as well. It is always necessary to find alternative or combination of various treatments even if you have undergone treatments that are specifically related to a particular disorder. All the problems can be recovered or at least improved to some extent.
Suicide is not the Solution
If you are not able to find any solution apart from suicide, it does not mean that there no solutions available for the problem. It is merely because you are unable to find them at the moment. The severe emotional pain that you are feeling at the moment can often deprive you from thinking about the solution to all these problems or to connect with people from whom you can seek support. Counselors, therapists, family or friends can help in finding a way to cope with the feelings you are experiencing right now. Allow them to help you.
Any Suicidal Crisis is Always Short-Lived
Even though it may seem that your grief and pain are unending, it is important to know that all these feelings are temporary. Feelings change, people grow, positive turns will eventually occur and the right solution can be found. Suicide is never the solution to any problem.
Do’s and Don’ts While you are Coping with Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings
While it may seem that the suicidal feelings and thoughts are never ending, it has to be understood that the problem is temporary. You will eventually revive from it and feel better. You may also try to cope with the thoughts and feelings of suicide. Other than the 5 natural ways mentioned above in the article, you can also Do the following things while coping with suicidal thoughts and feelings:
- Indulge in making a face to face conversation with somebody on a daily basis. Though you may feel like withdrawing from the situation, ask assistance for your friends and relatives. Ask them to spend some time with you. If they are not available, call a friend to speak about your feelings.
- Design a safety plan. Make a set of steps that you have to follow when you are in a crisis. It should have a list of people whom you can contact during an emergency such as doctors, family and friends.
- Prepare a schedule and stick to it without any doubts. When you make it a routine, it may be easier to control the feelings.
- Expose yourself to the sun or take a leap into nature for at least 30 minutes every single day.
- Practice exercising regularly. Begin taking small steps and this will eventually help in making your mood light as well as help you in feeling positive.
- Make time for all the things that you love doing and bring pleasure to you.
- Try to remember about your personal goals. If you have loved traveling, reading a particular book, own a pet, practice your hobby or volunteer, try doing all these things. Jot down all your personal goals and choose to follow them.
Things to Stay Away From if you have Suicidal Thoughts or Suicidal Ideations:
- Being unaccompanied. Loneliness can worsen suicidal thoughts. Visit your close friends, family member or dial a crisis hotline number when in need of a company.
- Drugs and alcohol. These can increase depressive thoughts, hamper your ability to solve any problem and make you impulsive as well.
- Performing activities that can make you feel low. Listening to music that is depressing, going through old photographs or letters and visiting the grave of a loved one can elevate negative feelings.
- Suicidal thoughts or negative feelings. Try not to be preoccupied with thoughts that are suicidal. Rethinking over such issues can make depression even worse. Distract yourself and take a break for a short time.
Steps to Recover from Suicidal Thoughts, Feelings and Ideations
Even if the suicidal feelings and thoughts or suicidal ideation, have become sublime, try to get help. It can be a traumatizing event to go through such an emotional experience. It can help in decreasing the pain, if you rely on a therapist or a support group that can help in getting rid of the suicidal thoughts. You can also take referrals and help from your doctor and locate all such help centers in your area. Follow the below 5 steps to recover from suicidal thoughts and feelings:
- Categorize situations that trigger the suicidal thoughts or feelings of despair like an anniversary or relationship stress. Find a way to put such thoughts and people away.
- Care for yourself. Follow a healthy eating habit and get enough sleep. Exercising may help you in feeling positive as it releases endorphins that are known to make you feel good. It will help in promoting your emotional well-being. Exercise is also a great stress buster.
- Build a network for support. Be in the surrounding of those who have a positive impact on you and help you in feeling good about yourself. The more you spend time with others; you will eventually stay positive and recover at a faster rate.
- Build up new interests and activities. Try to find new volunteer activities, hobbies or work that grants you some purpose or meaning. When you do things that are fulfilling, you will feel better about yourself.
- Practice to deal with stress in a healthy manner. Adopt healthier ways to keep the stress levels low like meditation, relaxation techniques, exercise and simple breathing routines.