By changing the chemical actions in the brain several psychotic conditions can be controlled. One such anti-psychotic medication that is used to treat weak and damaged mental disorders like schizophrenia, bipolar I disorder is called Abilify. Even though this medication is used, it is still arguable if this medication is healthy and safe for early teens and children. Only after consultation, this medicine can be given to children suffering from schizophrenia under the age of 13 or children below 10 years with bipolar disorder. Whereas, when this medication is combined with a few other sedatives and pills work wonders for adults. Children of 6 years and older who are suffering from Tourette’s disorder or have shown autistic symptoms can be prescribed with Abilify.
How Does Abilify Work in Treating Mental Disorders?
Abilify medically known as Aripiprazole, comes under the type of an atypical anti-psychotic medicine. This medication causes fewer side effects and is more quickly effective on the patients. Abilify also helps the patient to fight mental disorder symptoms like social withdrawal and gives motivation.
How Effective is Abilify in Treating Metal Disorders?
Abilify is very effective in treating mental disorders as it does not cause weight gain like other medicines. The dosage of Abilify is one for each day as the blood pressure increases and medicine’s effect is long termed. Even 2 weeks can be needed to get the blood concentration to be normal again after the dosage is completed.
The usual amount for oral Abilify is up to 15 mg per day. Higher dosage will not be helpful.
In case the patient is under some other medication tor has a low metabolism rate then the dosage amount should be brought down. Whereas if the patient is also taking in CYP3A4, then the dosage of Abilify has to be increased.
- The medication helps the patient to be relieved from agitation created due to schizophrenia or numerous episodes of bipolar disorder. It even calms down the nerves and works as an antidepressant.
- Symptoms of autistic disorder can be reduced. Also Tourette’s syndrome can be kept in check.
- The medication is found in the form of oral tablets, Oral-disintegrating tablets and oral liquid. In case of oral-disintegrating tablets, remove the blister with dry hands to avoid pop up from the foil and do not remove it until it is to be used.
- If you notice serious symptoms like high body temperature, seizure, light headedness, dizziness or uncontrolled body behaviors after the patient has taken the medicine, consult medical help immediately.
- Do not heat or dehydrate. Avoid alcohol while you are on this medication as it may cause impairment of judgment.
How Safe is Abilify in Treating Mental Disorders?
The usage of abilify drug is safe but there are side effects caused by this drug. The common symptoms that can occur are headache, insomnia, anxiety, nausea, tremor, agitation and feeling of restlessness. Hence if you are the within the age group of 18 and 60, taking no other medication during the dosage of Abilify is recommended.
Some of the other possible experiences that the patient might have while consuming Abilify are:
- Akathsia. This side effect causes inner problems like vomiting, constipation, dryness of the mouth, frequent stomach upsets and other physical symptoms like tremors and restlessness. You might also find difficulty in swallowing.
- If the patient is very old and has a higher risk of death, then this medication is not useful to treat patients of such age group who are suffering from psychosis related to dementia.
- You must always monitor the patient to look out for growing depression and mood changes if this medication is used for therapeutic purposes.
- For the first few times of the dosage, the blood pressure may fall down. This lowering of blood pressure gives a positive side as this medication can be used on patients who have heart diseases or have suffered a stroke, seizure or dehydrate very soon. Also monitor the blood level as white blood cells may decrease.
- Even though it wouldn’t boost up cholesterol and make the patient gain weight, sometimes the blood pressure may fluctuate and rise high so patients with diabetes need to be monitored.
- Development of potentially dyskinesia which can be irreversible with symptoms like grimacing of the face, constant chewing and thrusting can occur with a little dosage of Abilify.
- Even though neurotic malignant syndrome is very rare to occur yet if any symptoms like increase in body temperature, stiffness in muscles and disturbances is cause in the patient mentally, stop the medication immediately.
- Always check the information prescribed for better knowledge as Abilify may interact with other drugs like benzodiazepines, carbamazepine, fluoxetine and itraconazole.
Abilify which is used to treat mental disorders such as schizophrenia and other, mental disorders has lesser side effects and does not cause weight gain which is usually done by the other anti-psychotic medicines.