Interstitial cystitis is a poorly understandable and complex type of chronic pain and disorder, which affects the urinary bladder because of bacterial infection. IC results in stiffening and scarring of the bladder, reduction in the bladder capacity, and glomerulations i.e. bleeding.(1)
Common symptoms of interstitial cystitis are an urgent requirement, a frequency to urinate, and a combination of the symptoms. Furthermore, the intensity of pain may change as the bladder empties or fills with urine. Such symptoms in the case of women become worse at the time of menstruation.(2)
Pain is a major symptom of interstitial cystitis and it becomes worse with specific fluids or food items. Also, the pain becomes worse whenever the bladder is full and reduces with urination. Doctors also describe the pain associated with IC as discomfort or pressure. You may experience pain in your lower abdominal area, vaginal, or urethral area. Both men and women experience pain with sexual intercourse as well. However, men only experience the scrotal and perineal type of pain combined with painful ejaculation.(3)
If you have interstitial cystitis in its severe form, it may even affect the life of your loved ones and yours too. A few people with this type of disease may have other health issues in the later years, like fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, and other types of pain syndromes.(4)
Does Interstitial Cystitis Worsen With Age?
Approximately, individuals suffer from the problem of interstitial cystitis in the age of 40years. Moreover, 90percent of the total interstitial cystitis patients are women.
However, in some cases, women may suffer from the problem before 30years or after 50 years of age.(5)
Can Interstitial Cystitis Go Into Remission?
Yes, the disease of interstitial cystitis and its underlying symptoms, including the urinary bladder infections range from mild to severe, while may go into remission. In the case you have interstitial cystitis, you experience-
- Urge or frequency to urinate for more than 8 times in one day or multiple times during the nighttime.
- Feeling of the urgent requirement to urinate even right after your trip to the bathroom
- Feeling of burning sensation, pain and spasms in the urinary bladder
- Pelvic pain i.e. pain in your genital area and lower abdomen at the time of sex and pain, which becomes worse or better with the empty of the bladder.(6)
However, in the case of a few of the patients, symptoms of interstitial cystitis go into remission after they experience certain numbers of flare-ups.(7)
Selection Of Diet And Clothes Play A Prime Role In Your Interstitial Cystitis Remission
In some of the cases, your symptoms related to interstitial cystitis go into remission based on your selection of diet and clothes. Accordingly-
Diet Plan: You should give proper attention to your daily diet and strictly avoid the food items, which cause IC flares to control your symptoms. Depending on your condition, you may take certain over the counter types of acid reduction pills before having your meals. Simultaneously, you should focus on managing your stress to cope up with the condition.
Clothes’ Selection: A few of the IC patients have found that wearing of modified clothes as helpful, as it avoids the tension of pelvic muscles, which trigger pelvic pain.(8)
To conclude, we should say that most of the patients suffer from interstitial cystitis at about 40 years of age. However, in some cases, the age of a patient may vary largely. Moreover, whether IC and its symptoms go into remission or not depends on the individual condition, numbers of flare-ups, and most importantly diet as well as clothes’ selection of a patient.
- What is Bladder Pain Syndrome or Interstitial Cystitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Complications
- Treatment for Bladder Pain Syndrome or Interstitial Cystitis: Surgery, Recovery, Home Remedies
- Can You Live A Normal Life With Interstitial Cystitis & Coping Methods For It?
- How Can You Tell The Difference Between UTI & Interstitial Cystitis?
- How Do You Calm An Interstitial Cystitis Flare Up & How Long Do The Flares Last?
- Is Cranberry Juice Good For Interstitial Cystitis & What About Bananas & Hummus?
- What Foods Aggravate Interstitial Cystitis & What Foods Calm It?