The most common reason for oily skin on the forehead is the overproduction of a shiny substance called sebum in the body. An individual’s family history, puberty and the weather are factors which increase their risk for an oily forehead.
What To Do For Oily Forehead?
A dermatologist can help identify the cause of constant oiliness on the forehead or face. While an oily forehead often causes discomfort and self-esteem issues, one can take several measures to relieve the condition and restore the skin’s healthy appearance. People suffering from perpetual oily forehead should; however, consult a doctor before using any home remedies for treating this skin problem. Wondering what to do for oily forehead? Well, to remove excess oil from the forehead:
Do Keep Your Face Clean To Prevent Oily Forehead
Individuals having an oily forehead should wash their face gently with regular soap and lukewarm water every morning and evening. This often helps to eliminate excess oil from the forehead. However, soaps containing fragrance or dye should not be used, as these can worsen the condition of oily forehead. Although the oil re-appears within a couple hours on the forehead, the urge to wash the face again should be resisted. If too much of oil is stripped, the skin would react by producing even more of oil.
However, if someone still chooses to wash off the excess oil more frequently from their forehead, they should only use water to do so.
Do Use Appropriate Cleansers for Oily Forehead
Cleansers which are formulated specifically for oiliness should be used on the skin. They remove excess oil, dirt and impurities from the skin, and even unclog the skin pores, without harsh chemicals. The cleanser should be used with warm water to gently massage the forehead skin for at least a minute before rinsing off. Many over-the-counter cleansers are designed to relieve oily skin if used twice every day.
Don’t Forget To Use A Toner On Your Oily Forehead
A gentle but effective toner should be used to clean the forehead skin and to give it a balanced appearance. Toner also helps to prevent over-stripping of natural oils from the skin and control the production of excess sebum on the forehead as well. Witch hazel is a natural salicylic acid toner and wiping the face with it, especially before applying makeup, can help soak up excess oil on the forehead without stripping the skin.
Do Use Only Water-Based Moisturizers
Water-based moisturizers are easily available in most drugstores and should be preferred over creamy ones in case of oily forehead. Water-based moisturizers help to restore a normal appearance to an oily forehead after washing. Moisturizing products which carry the non-comedogenic label are designed to prevent clogging of skin pores, and promote oil free forehead skin.
Do Use Oil Free Cosmetics
By using cosmetics which do not contain oil, or are labelled as water-based, one can reduce their risk of oily forehead. Compared to cream, powders are safer on sensitive skin. Powder should; however, be removed from the face before going to sleep. Excess use of powder can cause skin clogging on the forehead and thus should be avoided.
Simple Tips to Combat Oily Forehead
If regular washing causes skin dryness or irritation, non-prescription astringent pads can be used to help keep the forehead clean and oil-free.
- By using oil-blotting papers, one can quickly reduce oil from their forehead. Be it during work hours or lunch time, the face can be cleaned with oil-blotting papers at anytime during the day.
- Face masks can also be used to reduce the oily appearance on the face including forehead. They help to shrink the skin pores and prevent excess sebum production. These masks should be used 2 to 3 times per week for best results.
- The skin should be exfoliated 2 to 3 times in a week to make it look smoother and cleaner. However, one should not over-exfoliate as this can cause skin damage and increase the sebum production in the skin.
- Foods rich in fats, sugars, and unhealthy oils can trigger a negative reaction in the skin and make it oily and cause oily forehead. More of healthy fruits, vegetables and lean proteins should be consumed every day, and sugar-sweetened and oily foods should be excluded from the regular diet, to get a healthy, oil free and radiant skin.
- By drinking plenty of water, i.e. at least eight cups every day, the likelihood for oily forehead, excess oil or dryness of the skin can be decreased, considerably.
- Stress can trigger excess oil on the forehead. So, relaxing often proves helpful in keeping the skin free of excess sebum. Practicing yoga and meditation, listening to soothing music, and getting a massage are some of the best ways by which one can relax their mind and body and prevent having an oily forehead.