About Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle!
Knuckles arguably can be called as the hardest bones of the hands but interestingly enough even knuckles can at times break or fracture causing very unpleasant and discomforting experience for the affected individual. A knuckle can break usually after hitting a pretty hard surface with a full fist like a wall or floor. Despite being the hardest bones of the hand, knuckles can break or fracture if an individual makes a full fist and hits at a hard object like a wall or a floor. Broken knuckle or fractured knuckle can also be caused as a result of a brawl or a fight. A Broken Knuckle is extremely discomforting and painful. It affects the daily activities of a person. Usually, a Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle is treated with ice packs and rest but there are other remedies too which can make life easier for the person with a Broken Knuckle.
What Are The Causes Of Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle?
As stated, majority of cases of Broken Knuckles are caused as a result of the hand hitting a hard object like a floor or a wall. It may also occur during a fight or a brawl. It is very rare for more than one knuckle to break at one time but it may happen. Usually the knuckle most susceptible for breaking is the one which is closest to the little finger.
What Are The Symptoms Of Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle?
Some Of The Symptoms Of A Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle Are:
- Severe pain immediately following the injury
- Difficulty making a fist
- Severe swelling so much so that moving the hand becomes difficult
How Can Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle Be Diagnosed?
In case of a Broken Knuckle, there will be excruciating pain at the injured site along with swelling. The best way to find out if there is a Broken Knuckle or not is to try and clench the fist. In cases of a Broken Knuckle, the fingers will not bend normally. An x-ray of the hand will confirm a Broken Knuckle.
How Is Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle Treated?
The medical treatment for a Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle is usually done by the following procedures:
Plate Fixation: In this procedure, metal plates are placed at the fracture site to hold the bones together in place with the help of screws.
External Fixation: In this procedure, pins are inserted into the fractured bones to fix them. The pins are left till the bones heal and then removed.
Treatment of Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle Without a Doctor
Some cases of Broken Knuckle or Fractured Knuckle do not need surgical procedures and can be treated with the following home remedies as well:
- Clean Open Wounds: The wounds need to be washed with antiseptic so that there is no chance of an infection developing. Once the wound is cleaned, a dressing can be placed to cover the wound.
- Ice Pack: An ice pack can be wrapped around the injured site. It can be painful to begin with but it reduces the swelling and inflammation.
- Elevate Knuckles: One can place the hand above the level of the heart to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Strapping with Adjacent Finger: Once the swelling and inflammation has calmed down, the injured site can be strapped to the adjacent finger to keep the knuckles straight for approximately two to three weeks for the fracture to heal.
- Splint: it is an important way to keep the broken area straight by strapping it to the adjacent finger.
What Are Some Ways To Prevent Broken Knuckles?
As the saying goes "Better Safe than Sorry", the best way to prevent Broken Knuckles or Fractured Knuckle is to play safe and take proper safety measures as majority of the cases of Broken Knuckles are due to sporting injuries, fights, falls, etc. Staying away from getting involved in street fights or fist fights is the best way to prevent oneself from not only breaking the knuckles but as well as preventing other body injuries.
- Broken Wrist: Types, Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment, Exercises, Tests
- Broken Leg or Fractured Leg:Causes, Symptoms, Classification, Treatment, Prevention
- Broken Tailbone or Coccyx Fracture: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment- MRI, Pain Killers
- Broken Finger or Fractured Finger: Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment
- Broken Arm or Fractured Arm: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment- X-ray, Cast, Surgery
- Broken Forearm or Forearm Fracture: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment-NSAIDs, Surgery
- Broken Thumb: Causes, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Treatment, Exercises, Investigations
- Broken Toe or Fractured Toe: Symptoms, Types, Treatment, Prognosis, Recovery
- Broken Collarbone or Clavicle Fracture: Causes, Types, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Exercises
- Broken Neck or Neck Fracture: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Physical Therapy, Recovery Period
- Broken Back or Thoracic/Lumbar Spine Fracture: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Recovery, Complications
- Chinese Remedies for Broken Bones