What Can Cause Buttock Pain and How Can It Be Treated?
What is Buttock Pain?
Any discomfort or aching sensation that an individual experiences in the area of the buttocks is referred to as Buttock Pain. There are three gluteal muscles behind the pelvis that make up the buttocks. The function of the buttocks is to support the body when standing up and it also facilitates many movements of the hip and trunk. Buttocks also contain many nerves and blood vessels and have a layer of fat so as to provide cushion to the pelvic bones when an individual is sitting. Any sort of injury to any of the three gluteal muscles can cause Buttock Pain, especially the gluteus maximus which the largest muscle of the three. Sometimes, Buttock Pain is also caused by dysfunction of the rectal region.
What Can Cause Buttock Pain?
As stated, Buttock Pain is mainly caused as a result of injury to the three gluteus muscles that constitute the buttocks.
Some Examples of Causative Factors of Buttock Pain are:
- Sitting for prolonged period of time can cause pain around the butt region
- Strenuous activity using improper techniques can also cause buttock pain
- Doing back stretching without proper warm-ups can cause pain around the butt
- Buttock pain can also be a result of injuries to other areas like the pelvis or the tailbone.
- Bone fractures or dislocations, especially of the tailbone or pelvis
- Contusions of the buttock or hip can cause pain around the butt region
- Muscle cramping of the gluteal muscles
- Hip sprains can lead to pain in the buttock
- Diseases and conditions causing buttock pain
Some of the Disease Conditions Which Can Cause Buttock Pain are:
- Person can experience pain in the butt due to Anal abscesses
- Anal fissures are also a leading cause for buttock pain
- Buttock pain can be caused due to hip arthritis. Symptoms of hip arthritis includes a dull, aching pain in the buttock, groin, outer thigh, and knees.
- Hip bursitis: Symptoms of hip bursitis includes buttock pain and pain on the outside of the hip and thigh.
- Fibromyalgia: Patients suffering from fibromyalgia often experience pain below the waist region like buttock pain, hip pain and leg pain.
- Hemorrhoids are swollen viens in the anus and can cause extreme pain in the buttock.
- Pilonidal cyst: These cysts form near the buttock and its symptoms include pain around the buttock.
- Piriformis syndrome: Piriformis muscle is located in the buttock region. Piriformis muscle spasm can cause buttock pain
- Sciatica: Sciatica is often characterized as constant pain on one side of the buttock which goes down or radiates to one leg
- Spinal stenosis
What Are The Symptoms of Buttock Pain?
Some of the other Symptoms Accompanied with Buttock Pain are:
- Restricted range of motion of the back or hip due pain in the buttocks
- Buttock pain often leads to ambulatory difficulties
- People suffering from buttock pain also tend to experience pain in the lower back
- Muscle weakness
- Snapping or popping sensation of the hips
- Swelling of the buttocks.
What Are Treatments For Buttock Pain?
- The treatment for Buttock Pain is totally dependent on the underlying cause of the pain. Once the cause is identified then the treatment plan can be initiated for that condition causing pain around buttocks. Certain types of pains can be relieved by manual release techniques to relieve tension in the muscles and correct any bony malalignment.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises are also imperative to get rid of Buttock Pain caused by tight and inflamed muscles.
- Postural correction can get rid of Buttock Pain caused due to poor posture.
- Bruised Buttock or Buttock Contusion: Causes, Signs, Treatment, Exercises
- Myofascial Pain in Buttock Muscles: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, PT, Exercises
- Perineal Pain or Perineum Pain: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Recovery, Diagnosis, Pathophysiology
- What Can Cause Gluteal Pain or Pain in the Butt?
- What Causes Tingling or Itching in Anus & How to Get Rid of it?
- What is Rectum Infection & Bleeding & How is it Treated?