Grasshoppers are cute little bugs that are tempting to hold. These bugs don’t like to be cuddled and can bite as it feels threatened by doing so. Grasshoppers have 2 sets of wings, short antennae, and large eyes. They are heavily muscled hind legs that help them jump. They can be seen in different colors but most are brown, green, or grey. They do not have any nest or territories and spend much time migrating for food. They live in a dry area with a lot of grass but are also found in other environments like a jungle, forest, and wetlands.
Grasshoppers feed mostly on grasses, while a few are agricultural pests and eat crops.
Can A Grasshopper Bite?
Grasshopper doesn’t usually bite, but if they feel threatened or if you capture them tightly, they might. First, they might spit then bite. They can also rub their legs on the skin and the powerful spikes on their legs would cause a wound.
The grasshopper bite can lead to allergy, which can be due to a reaction to the saliva of this insect.
Grasshoppers are not poisonous and neither is their bite dangerous. The bitten area can pain as they have strong jaws.
What To Do If Bitten By A Grasshopper?
Following measures should be taken if bitten by a grasshopper:(1)
- Clean the area bitten with soap and water. Remove anything that the grasshopper might have left in the bite.
- In case of swelling, apply a cold compress or ice pack and keep the affected area elevated.
- If there is a pain in the affected area, take the over-the-counter pain killer like Advil.
- If the bite area is itchy apply calamine lotion or any other anti-itch lotion
- Avoid scratching the area until the bite heals.
- Apply antiseptic in case of wound or allergy
The symptoms of grasshopper bite mostly go away within a few days.
What is Grasshopper Spit?
It stains the skin but is not harmful to humans. This fluid released from their mouth is partially digested plants and digestive enzymes.
What Are The Grasshoppers Attracted To?
Grasshoppers can live in any climate and travel long distances. Therefore it can be found hopping around in the garden of your house, anywhere you live. They do not like wet or cold climate, and it is at this time (when it rains or in winters) they might come inside your house.
If you do not want them in your garden; the following measures can be taken:
- Mow short border around the lawn, which can keep them away, as not much would be left for them to eat.
- Zinnias attract grasshoppers, so you can grow them on the outer edge of the garden. This would limit the entry of grasshopper into the main garden.
- Spray insecticide in and around the garden edge. This would prevent their entry.
How Can You Get Rid Of Grasshoppers?
- Insecticides help get rid of grasshoppers. The best way to target them is during the breeding time that is during May and June.
- You can mix canola oil or bran oil with the insecticide. It can help attract grasshoppers to the insecticide.
- Natural insecticides such as spinosad can also be used. Make sure you follow the directions and precautions while using insecticides.
- Organic pesticides like hot pepper wax, insect repellent, or garlic sprays can also be of help.
- There are a few plants that are natural insect repellent. They can be grown to keep insects at bay.
- You can grow a tall grass trap in the corner of the garden so that it keeps them busy and away from your dear plants.
- You can also pick them with hands and put them in soap water. This kills them. Make sure to pick them up gently to avoid being bitten or attacked with their spiky legs.
Grasshoppers are common insects and rarely hurt humans unless they feel threatened.
On getting threatened they would bite, kick, or regurgitate. Use insecticides to keep them away.