Why Does Exercising Cause Red Face or Facial Flushing?
The main reason for the face turning red or facial flushing during work out/exercising is the dilation of the fine blood vessels called capillaries that are located just beneth the skin of your face. The dialation helps in the radiation of heat by transfering it to the surface of your skin through blood capillaries.
Why Does Your Face Turn Red During Exercising?
It is normal to have a red face while exercising and there is nothing wrong with it. It is a part of the mechanism of body to cool itself by circulating the heat out on the surface of the skin of the face and other parts of the body. The heat is carried by the blood capillaries through the process of dilation. The heat is then radiated out through the skin cooling the body.
Why is it that Few Individuals Have more Facial Flush While Working Out than Others?
- The people who have more density of capillaries under their skin would flush more than the other people during exercising.
- Increased dilation during exercise in some people can also be one of the reasons for their faces turning red more as compared to others.
- Excessive heat on the surrounding can also lead to face turning more red in some cases or individuals.
- Vasomotor dysfunction in some people is also one of the reasons for face turning red due to the inappropriate dilation of blood through blood capillaries.
What are the Possible Drawbacks of Severe Facial Flush While Working Out?
- Heat Stroke or Heat Exhaustion. If you are exercising in a surrounding with high temperature or hot room, dilation of the blood to release the excessive heat can be dangerous as it leads to a situation of heat exhaustion. You can identify this situation by the extra symptoms like fatigue, dizziness, nausea, heavy sweating etc… occurring along with reddish face. Although flush face is normal during exercising but if it is accompanied by above mentioned symptoms, you must stop exercising immediately. Also try to find a cool place to let your body cool off quickly, loosen up your tight clothing, drink water to help your body get off the heat. It is necessary to seek medical treatment and attention from the doctor. In extreme cases it can lead to muscle damage or even failure of heart or kidney.
- Usually there is no problem with your body if your face turns red while exercising but in some cases where it is accompanied by some other symptoms like low blood pressure, diarrhea, shortness of breath, palpitation, light headedness etc… can be an indication of underlying illness that needs attention frome an expert or doctor.
- As we have already mentioned it can also be a symbol of vasomotor dysfunction in which the nerve fibers get entangled with the blood vessels leading to face flush when you exercise. This is not normal and needs medical attention. It is also sometimes referred as Rosacea. It results in unusual dilation of blood through capillaries leading to reddish face.
Are there any Tips to Prevent Facial Flush during Exercising?
Following are some of the tips that can help in preventing facial flush or face turning red during exercising:
- Ensure that the atmosphere is cool while you are planning to exercise or exercise in a cool room.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes while exercising as loose clothes will allow the circulation of air to help your body in cooling.
- Stay hydrated.
- Avoid exercising when it is hot especially during afternoon hours.
- Take breaks while exercising to ensure that your body has time to relax. Over exercising can lead to problems which start to show up as symptoms.