Yoga is an ancient form of fitness that not only focuses on maintaining postures, but it has immense impact on the mind and soul as well. Hence, today yoga has become the latest fad amongst people. Yoga is not only helpful for maintaining a health mind and body but also for correction of specific postures. Let us understand if yoga can reverse kyphosis or hunchback caused due to osteoporosis.
Can Yoga Reverse Osteoporosis Hunchback or Kyphosis?
Yes, to a great extent, yoga can reverse osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis. Hunch back or kyphosis is a condition where in the upper part of the back look more curved and rounded than normal. It is characterized by a hump and in medical terminology it is known as kyphosis. It is easily visible and one can easily determine the hunch as one can easily notice rounded or protruding hump on the upper back. Osteoporosis is known to cause such curvatures in the back. Hence, it is important to understand if yoga can reverse osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis and the necessary yoga poses that can help.
Although, it can affect people of any age and it is caused by the poor posture, there are host of potential causes that can take the shape of the hunchback.
Some of the Common causes of hunchback or kyphosis include
- Weak upper back muscles.
- Slipped disc.
- Bone degeneration diseases.
Here, we will look at the relation of osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis and yoga. Osteoporosis is the thinning of bones and is common in menopausal women. It usually occurs due to lack of sufficient calcium and along with deficiency of other nutrients. Aging women are at greater risk of osteoporosis hunchback and the hormonal changes during menopause add to it.
While there are various treatment options for osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis, yoga too helps to a great extent. Nutritional deficiencies need to be treated with appropriate supplementation. Along with conventional treatment, yoga too can help reverse osteoporosis hunchback. However, it is important that the yoga poses are done properly and maintain the right form.
It is important to take professional help before doing any kind of yoga or exercise, as this will certainly help you and at the same time, an expert is well aware of the medical condition, so he will do in accordance to your own requirement and body stability. To help you, here we have compiled the list of the few yoga poses that are said to be very effective in treating and preventing hunch back or Kyphosis.
Yoga Poses That Can Help Reverse Osteoporosis Hunchback or Kyphosis
Given here are some of the effective yoga poses that can prevent osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis:
- Downward Dog Pose for Kyphosis: It is one of the most popular pose when it comes to strengthening lower body and spine. In addition to that, it is said to be very effective in treating hunch back as well. In this, you need to get down on your knees once you have taken your position then straighten your knee and try to push towards body. Once your legs are completely stretched, now slowly raise your hip and remain in this position for 50 to 60 sec. This yoga pose is very effective to reverse osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis.
- Cobra Pose for Hunch Back: It is another effective yoga pose that helps you reverse osteoporosis hunchback and also prevent other back problems. People having osteoporosis, are advised to do this pose along with other exercises to strengthen the back. In this, you need to lay on your stomach, keep your lower torso on the ground, once you are stable, then try to lift your upper torso. Your body should be in the arch shape and if you are able to maintain the arch shape, then you are doing it right.
- Cat Pose for Kyphosis: With the help of this yogic asana, you can ward of the pain and deformities of the curvature of spine. This yoga pose is another effective way to reverse osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis. In this, you need to get on your hands and knees (all fours) and keep the spine straight running parallel to the ground. Make sure that your arms are well placed beneath the shoulders and the knees touch the ground firmly. Now uplift back up and down, do it with ease make sure your hands are stable to avoid jerk while doing the pose.
These are three best yoga poses that can reverse osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis. Those having severe back pain or curvature problems need to consult their physician before beginning with any new exercises. Following medical advice will help maintain good health and if permitted, these effective poses in yoga can help reverse osteoporosis hunchback or kyphosis.
- Kyphosis: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Taping Technique, Classification
- Hunchback: Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Investigations, Treatment, Exercises, Posture Brace
- Cervical Kyphosis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Exercise