Severe bloating and burping may be a common occurrence for some people, while for some it may be a disturbing complaint. If the complaint occurs occasionally, it may not be a matter of concern but when bloating and burping after waking up affects often, it may be required to seek medical help.
Severe Bloating and Burping After Waking Up
Severe bloating and burping after waking up is a typical complaint, when the person complains of a bloated or full abdomen with burping, particularly after waking up in the morning. There can be many reasons which might trigger bloating and burping on waking up after a sleep or a nap. Like for a person who is mouth breather, there are chances that swallowing too much air in the stomach can cause bloating and burping after waking up.
Moreover, if one has consumed too much of carbonated drinks, it can be another reason contributing to it. Apart from the breathing habit or habits of eating, there can be other medical reasons as well leading to severe bloating and burping in waking up in the morning. Knowing about the causes of bloating and burping after waking and its remedies can help.
Causes of Bloating and Burping After Waking Up
The main cause of burping is the accumulation of gas in the abdomen. Belching helps to release the extra gas trapped within the gastrointestinal tract. It is natural, that gas shall be either released through mouth or by way of anus as flatus. Certain factors trigger the formation of gas in the abdomen and can be considered as causes of bloating and burping. These include:
- Mouth Breathing – People who breathe through the mouth commonly face this issue. When breathing through mouth, air is swallowed into the stomach, which forms gas and is released by way of burping after waking up.
- Consuming Excessive Food – Consuming large quantities of heavy food the previous night can lead to fullness in stomach, causing severe bloating and burping after waking up in the morning.
- Carbonated Drinks – Consumption of carbonated or aerated drinks is on the rise these days, which lead to gas formation in the stomach causing a bloated feeling. The gas thus stored in the stomach throughout the day, gets released with burping after waking up.
- H-Pylori Bacteria - These bacteria might be another reason for burping and bloating after waking up. The bacterium metabolizes ammonia might cause release of carbon dioxide from the stomach. In gastroparesis, the stomach gets paralyzed causing dysfunction of nerves. It might also lead to delay in food emptying from stomach, causing one to experience bloating and burping after waking up in the morning.
Certain medical conditions or disorders of the gastrointestinal tract too can cause severe bloating and burping after waking up, which may need appropriate medical attention.
Remedies for Bloating and Burping After Waking Up
If you are looking for remedies to manage your bloating and burping after waking, some of the solutions and home remedies can be of great help to you.
- Watch Your Diet - If you think that any specific kind of food is leading to burping and bloating, then it is time that you start avoiding the food. It is even advisable that you avoid drinking aerated or carbonated drinks that might lead to gas in your body. Hence, simply keeping yourself away from certain foods that trigger burping can help. Prefer small meals at small intervals, thus avoiding loading the stomach at once, have light dinner and avoid late night eating. Healthy diet with fresh fruit, vegetables and plenty of water is a great remedy to improve your digestion and reduce burping and bloating after waking.
- Peppermint Tea - Consuming peppermint tea after dinner is considered as a very useful home remedy for those experiencing severe bloating and burping every morning. Peppermint oil has a soothing effect on the stomach and can relieve digestive troubles.
- Ginger - Ginger has two most effective ingredients namely, gingerol and shgaols, which are known to relax the intestinal tract. Ginger can control inflammation in the body and also has a carminative effect which can provide relief in burping and bloating after waking up.
- Chamomile Tea - This is yet another effective home remedy which can help in controlling frequent severe bloating and burping after waking up. Due to its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic nature, it can efficiently reduce gases, bloating and pain in abdomen.
- Pumpkin Seeds - This is another natural remedy which can be consumed to obtain relief from bloating and burping after waking up. These seeds are quite effective in digesting food, especially those which can lead to gas in stomach.
- Lemon Juice - Drinking lemon juice in the morning on an empty stomach is considered to be one of the best habits. You can consume lemon juice even if you are not going through such issues. It can help to boost your metabolism rate and improve the digestion system, which can further help you to get rid of severe bloating and burping after waking up.
Home remedies are considered to be best solutions, as there are no side effects and can only provide great deal of benefits. However, if the complaints do not improve with these remedies, it is advisable to seek medical opinion and follow medical advice for appropriate investigations and treatment.