Why Am I So Bloated & How to Get Rid of it?
Bloating is a condition in which gas fills the abdomen that makes a person full and uncomfortable. Bloating is a common condition, every 1 in 10 Americans complaint of feeling bloated almost every day. In chronic stages, it may cause many other problems, like flatulence, frequent burping, or belching, etc. The problem of feeling bloated is really annoying for an affected person, which may even disrupt his or her daily routine severely. According to the researchers, bloating is related to a person's eating habit, and lifestyle. Some easy-to-adopt changes may give a complete relief from bloating.
Why am I so Bloated?
Bloating is a very common phenomenon which almost every person experiences at some point of time. However, for some people bloating could be a frequent thing. Following are the common causes of bloating:
- Constipation at an advanced stage
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Swallowing lots of air, and eating without chewing properly can make you feel bloated
- Rapid proliferation of bacteria in the small bowel
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease that cause inflammatory bowel disease
- Gain in weight in small interval of time
- Hook worm infection
- Side-effects of some medications can also make you feel bloated
- Intolerance to lactose
Some advanced and more serious causes of bloating are as follows:
- Ascites in the abdominal cavity due to liver diseases, kidney failure, heart failure, etc.
- Pancreatic disorder leading to improper digestion can cause bloating.
- Damage in the small intestine due to celiac disease, which leads to gluten intolerance
- Ovarian cyst or ovarian cancer
- Ectopic Pregnancy.
A person who feels bloated would recognize more than one of the causes present which leads to the bloated feeling in them.
How to Get Rid of Bloating?
There are certain ways of getting rid of bloating:
- Controlling Gas Formation in the Stomach: Most of the complaints of bloating that the doctors receive are due to gaseous deposits in the abdominal area. Gas is formed in the digestive system due to few principal reasons: swallowing of excess air, digestive system disorder, indigestion due to any problem digestive system disorders, lack of probiotics in the GI tract, and overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine.Problem occurs when the formed gas doesn't move freely and passes out systematically. Controlling gas is possible through the following processes:
- Staying physically active as much as possible
- Regular workouts under expert supervision
- Eating foods that form less gas
- Staying free from stress and tension.
Following restrictions are also mandatory for the persons having the problem of feeling bloated:
- They shouldn't eat foods quickly; rather they must take time to chew food properly and then swallow.
- They shouldn't drink anything with straw.
- They shouldn't gulp water directly from a bottle or glass by opening the mouth widely.
- They should avoid chewing gum, and carbonated drinks.
- Avoid Certain Foods to Get Rid of Bloating: There are certain foods that are hard to digest and often cause gas in the digestive system. Vegetables and other foods like the following ones should be avoided as much as possible: Beans and lentils, cabbage, cauliflower, apricots, carrot, artificial sweetener like sorbitol, dairy products, and whole grains, oligosaccharides like garlic, onion, lettuce, leek, etc.
- Treatment for Bloating: If the above restrictions are not causing any significant change in the problem of feeling bloated, then visiting an expert is necessary for proper treatment. The treatment process would include:
- Indigestion may be caused due to any disease in the inner lining of the intestine. Doctor may undertake several pathological tests, including CT Scan, and biopsy to fix the problem and prescribe medicines. If celiac disease is found, a diet free from gluten may be advised by the doctor.
- If any physical obstruction is found in the intestinal passage, then a surgical correction may be required. If the obstruction is only functional, doctor may prescribe medicine to ease the muscle movements in the digestive system.
- Bacterial growth in any part of the digestive system is to be treated with antibiotics. In some cases, instead of antibiotics, doctor may prescribe probiotic.
- If the problem in the digestion is due to any sugar intake like fructose, lactose, sorbitol, etc., the sugar that is causing problem must be eliminated from the diet.
- In case if problem of bloating is due to lactose in the milk, the doctor may advise to use synthetic enzymes that are similar to intestinal lactose, along with the milk product.
- If the bloating is due to lack in some pancreatic enzymes, doctor may prescribe synthetic pancreatic enzyme for mitigate the deficiency.
There may be many other incidents causing abdominal bloating. Depending on the situation, doctors may prescribe antibiotics, probiotics, prokinetics, antispasmodics, and relevant bloating reducing substances. Again, some researches have proved that the application of certain stimulants for fluid secretion like lubiprostone and linaclotide, etc. can also work wonderfully.
Feeling Bloated is quite normal and there is nothing to worry about it. However, if it is happening almost every day, and the normal activities are getting hampered for that reason, it is better to consult a physician and get advice for remedial measures. Certain changes in lifestyle, eating habits, and dietary restrictions can control the problem to a great extent. In modern treatment procedures, various medicines are available for controlling bloating, and the doctors prescribe such medicines only after thorough investigation. Bloating is an irritating problem, but it can be efficiently controlled through timely remedies and management.
- Abdominal Pain or Stomach Ache After Eating: 9 Common Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
- Diagnosis of Belly Button Pain or Umbilical Pain: Acute Pain, Chronic Pain
- Abdominal Bloating: Home Remedies and Prevention Tips
- Causes & Remedies for Severe Bloating and Burping After Waking Up?
- What is Causing My Stomach to Get Bigger Without Weight Gain?