Smartphones in contemporary times have become much more than a mere device establishing communication between people in the distant parts of the world. With the advent of the internet that facilitates the smartphones of recent times offers a host of other services and facilities that covers pretty much everything from searching of information, getting an update of current affairs, interact over different social media platforms, purchase almost anything under the sun, make bookings for hotels, trips, flights, films, and what not.
10 Damaging Side Effects of Smartphones on Health
The technology of smartphones has pretty much changed the face of the world. The way people think and interact has changed a lot since the unhindered use of a smartphone. Now having said all of this, it is also a matter of grave concern that a host of recent investigations and research has concluded that this is a device that also causes a large number of problems and damages to its users. Let us take a look at them.
- Social Withdrawal as a Major Side Effect of Smartphone. Research has proven the fact that the set of people who are really active over the different social media platforms facilitated through the smartphone develops psychological problem of getting socially withdrawn. They get so very engrossed in the virtual world of their smartphone’s that their real families and society takes a backseat. This can eventually take a person through the alley of depression and mental disorders.
- Anxiety & Stress. It has been noticed that people who are very much addicted to their smartphones often face the problem of anxiety and an overt amount of stress. Smartphones are used by the corporation of the current times to keep a constant tap on their employees. This way you will be under constant pressure to answer all the official and work calls no matter what hour of the day. Again people who take the comments and replies of their virtual friends over smartphones very seriously face a stress level when they do not get immediate responses over their phones. Smartphones can also damage your sleep quotient to a considerable extent.
- Problem of Eyesight. The extremely bright screens of your smartphones can damage your occipital nerves and vision in general to a great extent. This is why it is advised that children should be kept away from smartphones as much as possible. Also, try to abstain from smartphone screens just before you are going to sleep.
- Lack of Concentration. Research has also revealed the fact that the concentration level of the people in the current times have gone down a great level. This is a problem that can also be attributed to the overt use of smartphones by the global population in the present times.
- Loss of Real World Work. Smartphones are devices that often transport us to the virtual world and we cut ties willingly or unwillingly from the real world. When we intend to take a break for a few seconds for peeping into our smartphones in between work; study, cooking or working out, it often gets stretched to a minimum span of thirty minutes. This is how we lose a good deal of productive hours.
- Back Problems as a Side Effect of Smartphone. The World Chiropractic Associations have opined that back problems amongst younger people have gone up a huge index in the current times. A good amount of this problem can be attributed to the excessive use of smartphones. The long stretch of hours that the young people spend stooping over their smartphone screens can cause much damage to their backs and their spinal cord in general.
- Smartphone Radiations. This one of the biggest challenges that excessive use of smartphone possess to us. Researchers are continuing to prove that the radiations coming out of the smartphones can actually prove to be carcinogenic for human beings.
- Hearing Difficulties as a Side Effect of Smartphone. Prolonged speaking over the smartphones or using the headphones can also damage the ears and can bring in hearing problems very early in life. It affects the Pregnant Women. Hence, speaking over smartphones must also be a controlled affair.
- Smartphone Usage Related Injuries. Too much use of smartphones can bring in a number of other health-related problems. The brain nerves could get bloated as a result of which you could experience sharp pain in your neck and head which is very similar to migraine. Additionally, too long hours of texting and scrolling in the smartphone touch screen can also make your finger nerves and muscles really tensed and tired. As a result of which you can develop the problem of text claws. In this problem, you will be having stiff fingers and palms and in the long run, it can also be quite dangerous. Additionally, no matter how hilarious the whole thing sounds there are people who are actually so very addicted to this habit that they speak or interact over their smartphones even when they drive or crossroads. This is one of the major reasons that has caused several severe road accidents and even cases of fatalities in various parts of the world in the past few years.
- Bacterial Infection as a Side Effect of Smartphone. Lastly, very important and very surprising indeed, smartphone screens could be actually much dirtier than any public toilet. It is very likely that this is a statement that will not go down too well with a lot of people, however, can you remember last time you cleaned the screen of your mobile phone? Its mostly that you can’t! This is one of the most common problems with most people. This can lead to a lot of bacterial infection and also skin rashes due to this. Hence, it is best advised to Keep your Mobile on a switch-off mode. And do not keep it near bed, as it passes radiations, which are very harmful.
At the end of this discussion, there is no need to think that smartphones are all about health and lifestyle damage. This is a device stirred by technology that has been and can be used for the betterment of human life and the world as a whole. However, you must be prudent in the way you are using the device and the extent to which you are getting dependent on it. There is no problem in getting dependent on smartphones, just do not make them an addiction. Children and teenagers these days are more vulnerable to the damages as discussed above. So, there is a need of mass awareness.