One of the most common conditions where there occurs a chronic inflammation of the large intestine or the colon, seen mostly in United States of America, Europe etc, is termed as Ulcerative Colitis. With such a condition the affected person suffers from symptoms like abdominal pain, diarrhea, rectal bleeding and the symptoms can remain for years in men & women leading to other serious health issues like colon cancer and might require surgery if not treated with medication. Though there are advanced medical treatments and drugs available for ulcerative colitis, there are people who love to follow the natural home remedies to their best. This current article on home remedies for ulcerative colitis will surely be beneficial to read for those who prefer natural treatments over the medical treatments. So, here below are some of the most effective home remedies to treat ulcerative colitis.
Home Remedies For Ulcerative Colitis:
Under this heading we will be studying the various types of home remedies available for ulcerative colitis, which can actually help people treat the condition without any harmful effects on the body. Let us categorize the section into three major categories namely the dietary home remedies for ulcerative colitis, treating ulcerative colitis at home with exercises and stress management, and herbal home remedies for ulcerative colitis.
Dietary Home Remedies For Ulcerative Colitis:
One saying from Errick McAdams goes like, “If you keep good food in your fridge, you will eat good food”. It is always important to keep a check on what you eat. There are certain foods which must be avoided and there are certain foods which must be entertained so as to treat ulcerative colitis in a natural way at home. Look below for some of the dietary home remedies for ulcerative colitis.
- Take enough of food rich in Vitamin C like berries, spinach, parsley, etc which are found effective in treating ulcerative colitis.
- It is also known that taking the low fat containing diet has proved beneficial in some patients. Olive oil and foods rich is omega 3 fatty acids are also helpful in ulcerative colitis.
- Foods rich in fiber can also be beneficial in treating the irritating bowel condition in ulcerative colitis and also help in removing the toxins and harmful chemicals from the body.
- Coming to the dietary home remedies involving the elimination or avoidance of food for treating ulcerative colitis comes as the eliminating alcohol, meat, gluten rich diet, etc.
Herbal Home Remedies For Ulcerative Colitis:
Now let us look below for the best herbal home remedies for ulcerative colitis, which involve the use of certain essential herbs that can treat the condition naturally.
- Turmeric is the best herb helpful in treating various ill health conditions in human. In fact turmeric is also a real great herbal home remedy for ulcerative colitis.
- Boswellia For Treating Ulcerative Colitis: A naturally growing herb found from the resin part of the bark of the tree called Boswellia is known to be highly effective in treating ulcerative colitis. The herb produces certain inhibitory mediators which assist in inhibiting the inflammatory chemicals in ulcerative colitis.
- Psyllium Seeds For Treating Ulcerative Colitis: The seeds or the husk from this herb can be used as an effective home remedy for treating the symptoms like constipation in ulcerative colitis and help in eliminating the waste from body in an improved manner.
- Probiotics To Treat Ulcerative Colitis: These can be used for treating ulcerative colitis as they help in improving the healthy gut bacteria and can improve the condition by reducing the harmful inflammatory responses.
- Gingko Biloba: This is another herbal home remedy for ulcerative colitis which has been proved effective in rodents. Maybe this can also help treating the condition in human beings.
Treating Ulcerative Colitis At Home With Exercises And Stress Management:
“Fitness is not about being better than someone else. It is about being better than you used to be!” This wonderful quote explains all about exercising and keeping self fit for life. Exercise helps in treating ulcerative colitis to a great extent. Conditions associated with ulcerative colitis like reduced bone density, excessive weight gain, weak immunity, emotional stress etc can be treated in a well managed way with regular exercises. Yoga, that promotes mental level and helps in digestion has been proved real effective for ulcerative colitis.
Apart from the yoga and exercises; it is highly important for every person to know the ways of managing stress in life. This actually helps in keeping a good health. Easing stress also helps in reducing the symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
Some facts on Stress management as a home remedy for ulcerative colitis:
“You pay the same, no matter if it is for a good reason or a bad!” It is very well known that stress affects our mind as well as body to a great extent. It is always a wise man’s task to know how to manage stress in life. Easing stress can also be one of the best home remedies for ulcerative colitis. Let us know about some of the facts on stress management as a home remedy for ulcerative colitis.
- Research and studies show that stress management helps in treating various irritating bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis.
- A report published during the year 2013 in Systemic Reviews states that about 74% of the patients with irritating bowel diseases including ulcerative colitis, claim that stress actually worsen their symptoms drastically.
- Meditation, deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation actually help in managing stress and treating the condition of ulcerative colitis.
- By following the stress management ways one can aid the nervous system shift away from fights or flights to a rest or digest mode. This actually help in easing the condition of ulcerative colitis as these techniques of stress management helps the blood and nutrients reach the core of digestive system and thus promote the functioning.
Now, let us note down some other essential home remedies to treat ulcerative colitis in a natural way:
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy liquids
- Have a habit of taking small meals in regular intervals.
- Have a restriction of excessive dairy products
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Consult with a dietician
- Seek help from family, friends and take the social support for having the best remedy to ease stress out of life and go for a counseling whenever required. Easing stress will help manage ulcerative colitis to some good extent.
Now that we are aware of some essential home remedies for ulcerative colitis, it is time to quickly take a note on the same and stay alert and aware of the condition. For, “Diseases and conditions do not come with prior intimation.