“Your voice is your strength. Any loss to the voice is a loss to an accomplished life.” This is perhaps one of the genuine casual quotes on voice, which can be put forward to explain how crucial one’s voice and voice box is. The voice box or the Larynx is the organ which produces voice and any inflammation or any damage caused to the larynx may result in Laryngitis, hoarse & raspy voice or even a loss of voice. There are many causes leading to the loss of voice or laryngitis. In this current article, we will talk about some of the most common causes, which may lead to laryngitis or any of the symptoms like hoarse voice, loss of voice etc. We will also discuss on some of the most effective home remedies and early recovery tips for loss of voice condition in laryngitis.
Facts About Loss of Voice in Laryngitis:
- Laryngitis is defined as any inflammation of the larynx or the voice box which includes the symptoms like hoarseness, pain in throat and also loss of voice.
- The symptoms can be either short-term or can be long-term lasting more than 3-4 weeks and known as Chronic laryngitis.
- Overuse of the voice box, drugs or alcohol addiction, or infection may cause the loss of voice or any other symptoms of laryngitis.
- Treatments for voice loss in laryngitis usually include voice rest, humidified air and certain effective home remedies. However chronic and hazardous symptoms in laryngitis may require immediate medical attention and sometimes also the surgery.
What Can Cause Loss of Voice?
There are many underlying causes for symptoms like loss of voice, hoarseness in voice or the condition of laryngitis. Let us take a note on the same.
- Cold or the upper respiratory tract infections
- Excessive use of the Larynx while talking, shouting, singing etc
- GERD or the Gastro Esophageal Reflux Diseases
- Smoking or indirect exposure to smoke or the polluted air.
- Inhalation of steroid medicines.
Treatments for Loss of Voice:
The short term or acute laryngitis along with its symptoms like hoarseness in voice, mild pain in throat or short term loss of voice can be treated effectively at home with the noted home remedies(to be discussed in the later part) and with an appropriate voice rest. However, in case of the chronic conditions, there is the requirement of proper medical treatment which includes a doctor’s visit, diagnosis of the underlying conditions, intake of prescribed medications and following the essential steps as per the doctor’s advice. There are also chances that the loss of voice in laryngitis may be sometimes due to the growth of laryngeal cancer which might require surgery.
Home Remedies for Loss of Voice:
Let us discuss on some of the effective home remedies for the loss of voice and other symptoms of Laryngitis.
- Water: “Water is life!” It is a known fact that water helps in removing germs and toxins out of the body. Water also keeps your throat moist. It is recommended to take plenty of warm water on a regular basis. Warm water is one of the best home remedies to treat the short term condition of loss of voice and other symptoms of laryngitis.
- Lemon and Lemon Juice Works Well for Loss of Voice: This can be an effective home remedy for treating laryngitis and its various symptoms including loss of voice. Lemon juice, hot lemon tea etc can be taken in order to treat any bacterial infection. For symptoms of cold, hot lemon tea is recommended. Lemon juice with a pinch of salt can also be gargled to relax the throat.
- Honey-An Effective Remedy for Loss of Voice: “There is nothing sweeter than honey!” How about having a sweet treatment for the loss of voice condition? Due to the astringent property, honey plays a great role in reducing the inflammation of the larynx and helps in relaxing the loss of voice, painful throat and other symptoms of laryngitis.
- Onion Syrup-Best Remedy for Loss of Voice: Onion is known to treat inflammation of the throat greatly. Go for a preparation of onion syrup from four pieces of an onion in four glass of water by boiling till there grows thick syrup like liquid from the solution. Adding lemon and honey to the syrup in a warm water cup can be taken to treat the inflammation of the voice box and get relief from the symptoms of loss of voice, soreness, hoarseness etc.
- Ginger and Garlic-An Effective Treatment for Voice Loss: Ginger and Garlic are known to treat microbial and bacterial infection and thus can be taken to treat laryngitis and relax the symptoms like loss of voice, painful throat etc.
- Eucalyptus Oil-A Good Home Remedy for Voice Loss: This can be used to treat the inflamed larynx and various infectious symptoms of laryngitis. Due to the anti-microbial properties, eucalyptus can be used as an effective home remedy for loss of voice in laryngitis.
- Warm Salt Water Gargles: It is an effective home remedy of voice loss. Add a pinch of turmeric powder to the warm salt water solution to make it more effective as turmeric has anti inflammatory properties.
Tips to Recover Soon From Voice Loss:
- Avoid smoking and reduce the consumption of alcohol.
- Humidify the air by using a vaporizer and keeping the surrounding or the room away from moisture.
- Give intense rest to your voice box. Limit your conversation and keep your voice protected.
- Keep a proper note to stay away from the recreational drugs like marijuana.
- Some medicines may get inflammation to the larynx and you may suffer from loss of voice. In case any of your prescribed medicines have such a side effect, do consult with your doctor and let you have the absolute substitute or appropriate treatment for the same.
- Avoid caffeine and protect your voice box.
So now, if you are meeting with any of such symptoms of laryngitis or in case you are dealing with the acute loss of voice condition, do make sure you are taking effective treatment and following the necessary home remedies to keep self away from any further inflammation of the voice box and protect your voice to the extent of peak.
- Throat Pain Due To Bacterial Laryngitis: Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment- Antibiotics
- Throat Pain Due To Viral Laryngitis: Types, Symptoms, Prevention, Diagnosis, Treatment
- How Do You Get Laryngitis & What To Take For It?
- How Long Does Laryngitis Last & How To Get Rid Of It Quickly?