Coffee is a source of antioxidant which can benefit skin, hair, and scalp. It can be used for exfoliation, acne treatment, increasing the blood flow and balancing the pH levels.
How Can Coffee Benefit Skin & Hair Health?
Below are listed a few ways in which coffee benefits the skin and hair.
Coffee can make a great exfoliant. Coffee grounds do not dissolve in water and therefore can help in scrubbing away dead skin cells.
A study shows coffee helps promote healthy skin (1). Caffeic acid and antioxidants present in it boost collagen levels and reduce premature aging of cells.
Caffeic acid also has antimicrobial properties that can protect the skin against germs.
To make a scrub of coffee grounds:
- Take one-quarter cup of fresh coffee grounds
- One-quarter cup of brown sugar
- Lemon juice for desired consistency
Scrub the mixture on clean skin after every few days. Let the scrub stay on for few minutes and wash off.
Helps In Getting Rid Of Puffy Eyes
- Coffee helps in getting rid of puffy and inflamed eyes.
- The caffeine stimulates blood flow, widens and dilates the blood vessels. This helps increase the blood flow which can tighten the skin.
- It also reduces the fluid build-up under the skin.
- Chlorogenic acid present in coffee may help in reducing inflammation around the eyes.
- Apply a paste of finely ground coffee around the eyes to reduce puffiness.
Coffee contains antioxidants such as polyphenols that can protect the skin against ultraviolet radiation and other signs of aging linked with sun exposure.
A study showed that participants with higher consumption of coffee had fewer UV age spots on their faces (2).
It can be done both by drinking coffee or applying it to the skin.
Coffee can help reduce cellulite on the face.
A study revealed that topical slimming products contain caffeine and other active ingredients which were more effective in reducing stubborn cellulite in women than placebo (3).
Fresh coffee grounds can be used to scrub and exfoliate the area of cellulite. It may also help to stimulate blood flow and smoothen up the skin.
Antioxidants, stimulants, and chlorogenic acids present in coffee make it an excellent anti-acne scrub.
Acne occurs when dead skin cells clog the pores, which can become infected with bacteria resulting in inflammation.
Scrubbing of these clogged pores with coffee grounds helps in clearing the skin and reducing the chances of infection, which is acne-causing.
Coffee can also be effective in cleaning the feet and softening the skin.
The coffee grounds can scrub away the dead skin cells from the soles of the feet, and the stimulating effect of caffeine may help increase the blood flow, improving the circulation.
To make a foot bath:
- Brew few large cups of coffee
- Add coffee grounds and coffee to a small bucket
- Soak the feet in it when it becomes lukewarm
- Scrub the skin with coffee grounds, which will help remove the dead skin
Hair and Scalp
If the hair care products have a higher pH than that of hair, it may result in dullness, frizz, and damage to the hair.
Coffee is naturally acidic and has a pH of 5.5 in the medium roast of major brands (7).
Applying coffee to hair helps balance the pH level of hair and scalp.
Wash hair with cold-brewed coffee and scrub the scalp with coffee grounds. This would help to scrub away the dead skin cells from the scalp and keep the hair healthy and frizz-free.
Coffee can help add a natural brown color to the hair.
To color hair:
- Brew few large cups of coffee and allow it to cool
- Add the coffee to a large basin
- Lean the head over the basin
- Using a cup scoop up the coffee and pour it on the head
- Wring the hair gently into a bun and wear a shower cap
- Leave the hair soaked in coffee for 30 minutes to 3 hours, after which rinse the hair.
Repeat the process if in case you need a darker color
Coffee is actually very beneficial to the hair and skin due to the compounds present in it. Fresh ground beans are more effective than packaged or instant coffee. The result may vary in different individuals. If unsure about using it, consult a dermatologist before.
- Can Coffee Cause Upset Stomach & Home Remedies for it
- How Safe is it to Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- What is Coffee Bubble Phobia & Why Do Some People Have it?
- Surprising Benefits of Coffee, Supported by Science
- What Happens To The Body When You Quit Coffee?
- 7 Healthy Alternatives To Coffee
- Coffee Fights Obesity-Know How?