Can Coffee Cause Upset Stomach & Home Remedies for it
One of the most sought after and preferred drinks around the globe is undoubtedly coffee. It's perfect aroma and taste makes it a favorite amongst many. However, studies reveal that coffee is quite closely related to an upset stomach with many people complaining that drinking coffee causes an upset stomach in them. Knowing if coffee can cause stomach upset and home remedies for it can help to a great extent.
Coffee has certain chemicals, which can cause an upset stomach along with heartburn, as it tends to change the human body's pH to acidic which should be slightly alkaline at all times.
Can Coffee Cause Upset Stomach?
Coffee can sometimes cause a derangement in the stomach. Coffee acidity occurs when the acids present in its brew send protons to those receptors which can be found in our taste buds. The coffee acids can be distinguished as phenolic acids, aliphatic chlorogenic and alicyclic carboxylic. However, the acid's strength in a coffee drink depends on several factors such as the kind of roaster used, coffee brewing method and also the degree at which the coffee beans are roasted.
The relation that caffeine shares with heartburn is what makes coffee cause an upset stomach. Coffee can stimulate the release of those acids which are present in the stomach thereby causing heartburn, acidity and irritation in the lining of the stomach; all of which lead to a stomach upset. This can be related to the complaint that coffee causes upset stomach in some people.
If a person drinks an excessive amount of coffee in a short span of time, it can lead to caffeine overdose. The caffeine can increase the heart rate, lead to nausea and giddiness and also irritability in the individual. This also adds to the stomach upset caused by coffee.
One of the best solutions to this problem is to drink decaf coffee which does not cause heartburn and coffee-induced upset stomach.
Home Remedies for Curing Coffee-Induced Upset Stomach
If you are suffering from an upset stomach which has been caused by too much coffee consumption, then it is best to stay away from coffee, chocolates, onions, sodas, refined foods, fermented foods, cauliflower and tea for a few days as all these food items can cause an upset stomach all over again.
If coffee causes upset stomach some great home remedies can help to provide relief and help the stomach get back to normal.
- Banana – Being alkaline in nature, bananas neutralize those acids which cause an upset stomach due to excessive coffee drinking and also soothe the stomach's lining. Bananas get digested quickly and are a popular home remedy to cure symptoms of an upset stomach.
- Ginger – Take some ginger and boil it with a glass of water. Strain after 5 minutes and pour in a glass. Add a teaspoon of honey to it and drink twice every day. Alternately, you can chew ginger candy for immediate relief. Ginger is quite helpful during indigestion and also reverses an upset stomach easily.
- Baking Soda – Take half a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with a glass of lukewarm water. Drink immediately and repeat a glass after a few hours. As baking soda works as a great antacid, it helps reduce the burning sensation in the chest area and also cures the upset stomach.
- Mint Leaves – This is one of the best home remedies for coffee-induced upset stomach. Just boil a few fresh leaves of mint in a glass of water, strain and drink every day. Mint has the ability to calm and soothe the stomach mucosa and provide relief from stomach upset.
- Cinnamon powder – This is yet another powerful home remedy to fight coffee cause upset stomach. Mix half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a glass of water. Add a teaspoon of honey and drink twice daily to cure an upset stomach due to coffee.
- Rice – Eating some plain rice can also help relieve an upset stomach and allow the lining of the stomach to cool down and heal. Having small quantity of rice regularly is a wonder home remedy to keep stomach upset at bay.
If you feel that your stomach is getting upset due to caffeinated drinks, then it is best to completely stop its consumption for a few days. Try out from the various home remedies for upset stomach and wait for a few days for the problem to be cured completely. Drink plenty of water to ease the stomach and soothe your system.
If the problem persists and the upset stomach refuses to get cured, it is best to seek medical opinion. Once cured, try to reduce coffee intake as much as you are comfortable without causing an upset stomach.