Prevention of mild cognitive impairment focuses on various protective factors, like having a balanced diet rich in fish and veggies, doing physical exercises for about half an hour and five times in one week. In addition, you should make sure keeping your brain active by involving in any type of challenging activity, which include learning any new language or learning to play any new instrument.
How To Prevent Mild Cognitive Impairment?
Details of the preventative measures for mild cognitive impairment are-
Reduction Of Toxin Exposure And Intake Of Specific Medications
Exposure to toxic products or toxins increases your risk related to mild cognitive impairment and in turn, dementia. These include specific medicines. Hence, if you intake medications related to dementia, like antispasmodic, antidepressants or sleeping medicines, you should consult with your doctor essentially.
Cigarette smoking and usage of other similar tobacco products combined with the intake of specific medicines intend to increase your risk related to dementia and mild cognitive impairment. Most of the evidences have shown that few of the common antidepressants, allergic medicines, antipsychotic and antispasmodic medications have relations with dementia.
Hence, if you are at a risk related to mild cognitive impairment, it is essential for you to discuss with your doctor about ways related to the replacement of such medicines with others, which do not have the similar types of risks.
Doctors have also found that antidepressants and other aforementioned types of drugs often come with anticholinergic effects, because of which they block acetylcholine neurotransmitter in both the peripheral and the central nervous systems. Because of this, drugs with anticholinergic effects result in sudden mood changes and reduction in parasympathetic activities, motor control and muscular control in one’s brain.
Follow Anti-inflammatory Diet Plan
A good diet consists of healthy fats and high amounts of antioxidants, similarly anti-inflammatory diet plan are helpful to combat with few of the common causes of mild cognitive impairment. Studies have proved that a diet consisting of nutrient-rich food items, antioxidants and fiber is helpful to slow down the cognitive decline. Especially, you should make sure having the following food items to protect your brain from inflammation-
- Protein rich items, like beans, legumes and eggs combined with healthy fats, like for instance avocado, olive oil, seeds and nuts
- High-antioxidant food items, like green veggies in combination with berries and yellow plus orange veggies.
- Along with this, it is essential for you to have coffee, tea and wine in moderation to retain your good mental health.
Involve In Physical Exercises
Physical exercises have prime roles to boost the blood circulation and prevent the brain from memory loss and other related mild cognitive impairment symptoms. Studies have revealed that walking outside is the best physical exercise to assure your mental health. Other essential exercises include cycling, swimming and Yoga. You have to involve in any of the mentioned mental exercises for about 30 minutes to 1 hour in a day and that too for about four times in one week.
Finding An Appropriate Social Support
Most of the research studies have proved that people with close relationships and strong social networks have obtained relatively better protection against mild cognitive impairment and other related cognitive impairment as well as improved quality of life. Hence, with the aim to stay connected with your family members, friends and community as a whole-
- Make a habit to spend higher numbers of hours with your family members
- Be the part of any support group to manage your stress
- Involve in exercises or walking activity regularly with your friends, so that you always stay active
- Dedicate your time in writing and reading or play any musical instrument
- Volunteer with any group in need or become a part of a religious group
- Involve yourself in social hobbies and other fun activities
- Dedicate your time to practice various memory training related activities to achieve mental stimulation.
Therefore, with the aforementioned simple and easy steps, you may easily prevent your condition related to mild cognitive impairment.
- Alzheimer’s Association. (2021). Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI). https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-dementia/related_conditions/mild-cognitive-impairment
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Mild cognitive impairment (MCI). https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mild-cognitive-impairment/symptoms-causes/syc-20354578
- Harvard Health Publishing. (2021). What can you do to avoid Alzheimer’s disease? https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/what-can-you-do-to-avoid-alzheimers-disease
- Self-Help For Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Lifestyle Changes For Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Can Mild Cognitive Impairment Go Away On Its Own?
- What To Eat When You Have A Mild Cognitive Impairment?
- What Are The Symptoms Of Mild Cognitive Impairment?
- What Is The Major Cause Of Mild Cognitive Impairment?
- Coping With Mild Cognitive Impairment