The main function of the immune system is to defend our body against all types of disease-causing microorganisms. However, sometime germ invades and makes people ill. When the immune system of a person remains strong, there is a less chance that germs invade the body and make a person sick. As a result, it is very essential that you take enough foods, fruits and supplements which help you to boost the immune system.
Immune Boosters: Foods, Fruits, and Supplements that Boost Your Immune System
It is very essential that you take all foods, fruits, and supplements which help boost the immune system. You need to take the following foods regularly so that your immune system functions well:
Foods that Boost Your Immune System:
- Broccoli: Broccoli is rich in vitamins and minerals. Containing Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables and should be consumed almost every day.
- Red Bell Peppers to Boost the Immune System: Red bell peppers are also very rich in Vitamin C. In fact, red bell peppers contain twice as much Vitamin C as citrus fruit. Apart from that,red bell peppers are also rich in beta-carotene which plays a great role in boosting eye and skin health. Thus, it is very essential to take red bell peppers in the diet regularly.
- Spinach as Immune Boosters: In spinach, you get a huge amount of Vitamin C as well asnumerous antioxidants and beta-carotene. The antioxidants and beta-caroteneplay an important role in fighting against the infection. Apart from that, while spinach is cooked Vitamin A is released from oxalic acid making it a very nutritious food.
- Poultry: Chicken and turkey play a great role in boosting the immune system. It contains a huge amount of protein and Vitamin B6. It also helps in the formation of new Red Blood Cells (RBC). As such it is seen that chicken soup is recommended at the time when people suffer from cough and cold. It is found that the bones of the chicken are rich in gelatin, chondroitin, and other nutrients which are very helpful for enhancing the immunity.
- Shellfish: Shellfish also plays a big role in boosting the immune system. Shellfish are high in zinc and many other vitamins and minerals. The body needs an adequate amount of zinc and as such, it is very important to take various types of shellfish such as crab, clams, lobster, mussels, etc.
Fruits that Boost Immune System:
- Citrus Fruits as Immune Boosters: Vitamin C is very essential for the immune system and citrus fruit is very rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to enhance the production of White Blood Cells (WBC). It is mostly seen that people take Vitamin C when they catchcough or cold. However, it is very essential to take Vitamin C almost regularly as the human body neither store nor produce Vitamin C and as a result, it is required to supply Vitamin C to the body at a regular interval of time. Some of the popular fruits that are rich in Vitamin C are grapes, oranges, lemons, limes, clementine, etc. As such it is very essential that you take these citrus fruits almost regularly in your diet.
- Almonds to Boost the Immune System: Almonds is rich in Vitamin E and Vitamin C which are very helpful for preventing and fighting against a cough. It also contains fat-soluble Vitamin which is very essential for absorbing the fat properly. Thus, it is very important to take almond regularly.
Supplements that Boost Immune System:
- Probiotics: Yogurt is a probiotic which is highly beneficial in enhancing the immune system and to fight against many diseases. Yogurt is rich in Vitamin D and it helps in boosting the natural defense of the body against many diseases.
- Zinc: Zinc is another essential nutrient which is required by the body on a regular basis for its proper functioning. Salmon, shellfish, nuts, sunflower seeds, pulses and pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc content and should be consumed regularly to boost immune system and avoid various health diseases.
- Spirulina: Spirulina is rich in essential phytonutrients along with several essential vitamins and minerals. It also contains phycocyanin, polysaccharides and sulfolipids. Being rich in all the necessary nutrients, spirulina when taken regularly can boost immune system and help the body in fighting with the different microorganisms and help protect the body from getting sick.
Nutrients, when taken in right quantities, can protect the human body from different problems. It is thus important that you educate yourself regarding the benefits of different nutrients and how they enhance the immune system to protect the body from cold, flu, and any other type of illness. Thus, feeding the body with all the above-mentioned foods, fruits and supplements are essential to make the immune system strong.