Is Seafood Good For Health?
YES, seafood is amazingly good for your health. Seafood is high in protein and low in fat and is therefore amongst the healthiest food with a lot of health benefits. A Human body cannot make a significant amount of nutrients by itself; therefore, including seafood in the diet is actually important and beneficial for health. White fish is rich in protein and low in fat when compared with any other animal protein source. Oily fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids (good fat) and low in omega-6 fatty acid (bad fat), which makes it a great option to include in your food. Seafood has a low fat content. It helps in lowering the cholesterol level and the risk of heart disease.
Benefits of Seafood.
Omega-3 fatty acids present in the fish are of numerous benefits to the body such as.
- Maintains cardiovascular health, by regulating blood flow.
- Brings relief to the rheumatoid arthritis patients, such as stiffness and pain.
- Important in prenatal and postnatal neurological development.
- Stops mental decline in the elderly and lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Decreases the risk of depression and improves the outlook towards life making a patient more positive.
- Protects skin against UV rays and also help preserve moisture in the skin.
- Reduces the symptoms of asthma and allergy and also gives a boost to the immune system.
- Reduces the risk of muscular degeneration, which can result in loss of vision.
Seafood is also rich in vitamins and minerals including vitamin B, iodine, zinc, potassium, and phosphorus. All the above benefits are enough to know the goodness of seafood in our life, and how good it would be if we can include it to our diet. You should also be cautious while choosing the seafood, as the contaminated food might contain high levels of mercury which is very bad for health. Consumption of contaminated fish can affect a child’s development.
What are the Healthiest Fish Amongst Seafood?
Five amongst the healthy fishes to be consumed are.
- Salmon. Both farmed and wild caught, salmon is a fish, which is the richest source of omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin, and minerals.
- Cod. High in protein and less in fats, cod is amongst the healthy fishes to be consumed.
- Trout. Trout is also high in protein and low-calorie fish. Trout can be consumed in any form; grilled, baked or poached.
- Tuna. Tuna is a versatile and a nutritious fish. About 3 ounces of Tuna fish gives 22 g of protein and just 100 calories. Tuna also gives half of the vitamin D dose and essential nutrients for the entire day.
- Sardines. Sardines are rich in Vitamin B12 and consist of essential nutrients for red blood cells. Including sardines in diet, helps improve nerve function and DNA synthesis.
Can Seafood Be Eaten Every Day?
According to government guidelines, seafood should be eaten twice to thrice a week for healthy heart and brain.
Eating seafood every day is not bad for health; and is certainly better than eating beef every day. But you must know that contaminated fish contains mercury content, which can lead to numerous health issues. High levels of mercury get accumulated in the tissues of the body. Therefore keeping the government dietary guidelines in mind, limiting the seafood consumption to twice to thrice in a week is the best way to avoid unnecessary hazards.
Caution. Consuming fish every day by children or pregnant females is not at all advisable due to the sensitive digestive system in both.
Eating seafood is actually very healthy and a good source of nutrition to the body. Knowing about the seafood you choose i.e. the protein content, contamination, rich in vitamin, is also very important. Choosing the right fish is a way to a healthy heart and also reduces the risk of various other chronic diseases.