Fitness is something that you must look after in an integral way. It is important to workout, but to improve your results, you have to watch out what you are eating before your workout as well as after your workout.
The trick is to learn how your metabolism works so that you can give it what it needs at the right time. Adding more energy before a workout and burning fat meals right after it is part of the secret. That way, you will boost your efforts on that long workout sessions. On this guide, we will explain all the details of the meals to eat before and after workout.
What to Eat Before Workout?
To have something to eat before a workout session is not about burning more calories. Your body will still burn the same amount of energy whether you eat something or not. Nevertheless, you want to burn fat, not muscles. And that precisely is what eating before a workout will prevent you.
The best choice before exercising is to have some proteins and carbohydrates. Proteins are meant to build muscles, while carbohydrates are intended to give you energy. That way you are going to use the energy right away and will turn your workout session into a muscle builder.
Here are some recommendations to change your meals so that you don’t get bored:
- A cup of steamed veggies with olive oil. You should add one small and sweet potato for the carbohydrates and broccoli. The olive oil is optional.
- Apple with walnuts. Slice an apple and add a quarter cup of walnuts to your pre-workout diet.
- Condensed banana split. Prepare a sliced banana with two tablespoons of almond butter. As a variation, you can add cinnamon to this delicious meal to have before your workout.
- Crackers with hummus. Take ten multi-grain crackers and add hummus. You should not exceed three tablespoons of hummus in total.
- Moros and Cristianos. It is a meal from Cuba. The secret of this meal is to change traditional rice for brown rice. Mix half a cup of brown rice and half a cup of black beans.
- Not everybody is fond of Moros and Cristianos. If you don’t like them together, eat them separated but with the same proportions before your workout session.
- Oatmeal and berries. Take half a cup of oatmeal and add a cup of berries. Berries are usually sweet; however, when they are sour or if you want more sweet add stevia.
- Whey protein. You can prepare a whey protein shake to eat before a workout.
- Other food supplements. Some options are creatine monohydrate or beta alanine. Most of their presentations are powders that are easily added to a shake. You may also get prepared beverages to boost your energy levels. If you go for a food supplement, it is better to combine it with other natural options, intercalating them during the week.
Some of these meals are outside the scope of a regular low-calorie intake diet. If a nutritionist is advising you, you should ask for suitable options to your particular case.
What to Eat After Workout?
To have something to eat after a workout means you should eat it no later than 30 minutes after you are done. If you wait longer, then the energy levels replenishment and muscle repairs will not be as effective. If you eat wisely, you will also keep your organs working at a fast pace. It will continue to burn fat even after you are done.
One good way to take advantage of these facts is by preparing a quick drink when you go to the gym. It is a natural and healthy way to keep up with the right food intake. If you have time and there is a place where you can sit and wait, you may take some other options ranging from a sandwich to some burritos, grilled chicken or even a salad. Whatever you chose, be sure you have it right after your exercise routine.
Here are some meals you can prepare to take with you and eat after your workout session:
- A cup of veggies. Select your favorite vegetables, and have a cup of assorted steamed or sautéed vegetables. You may add half a cup of tofu (no GMO).
- Burritos. Prepare your burritos with half a cup of beans, another half cup of brown rice, and two tablespoons of guacamole and eat this after your workout. You may add your preferred sauce.
- Chickpea Salad. Add to a plate of greens (lettuce, spinach or other) half a cup of roasted chickpeas. You may use vinegar or light olive oil as your salad dressing.
- Eat grilled chicken with veggies after your workout. Cook the breast of chicken grilled only and add half a cup of assorted vegetables.
- Peanut butter sandwich. Use multi-grain bread for your peanut butter sandwich. Don’t exceed two tablespoons. You may add agave nectar for a sweet touch.
- Protein shakes. Mix half a banana, protein powder, hemp seeds, and almond milk. This mix is a perfect way to have some nourishing meal after your workout.
- Quinoa salad with berries. To a cup of quinoa, add a cup of berries and a quarter cup of pecans. Mix everything and have it after your workout session.
As you can see, protein is more important for this selection of food. Make it your breakfast and start your day on the right foot.