Reasons Why You Have Forehead Wrinkles
No one likes to see those dreaded forehead creases staring back at you when you look into the mirror. However, it is something that we all have to eventually accept that as we age, our skin starts to wrinkle. But new research now suggests that if you see forehead wrinkles that are more than what is typical for your age, then it might just be a valid reason to make a quick appointment with your doctor. Read on to find out the ideas why you have forehead wrinkles.
Reasons Why You Have Forehead Wrinkles
In a yet unpublished study, research Yolande Esquirol suggests that the deeper are your forehead wrinkles, the higher is your risk of developing cardiovascular disease.(1)
The study included women participants between 30 to 60 years of age over a period of 20 years. The research found that the lowest risk of cardiovascular disease was for women who had minimal to no wrinkled skin on their forehead. Women who had the highest score, indicating ten times the risk of heart disease, are believed to have plaque build-up in the blood vessels around their forehead. This is supposed to cause deepened and hardened wrinkles.
Nevertheless, this theory is yet to be proven by more in-depth research and keep in mind that removing your wrinkles is not going to lower your chance of developing cardiovascular disease.
At present, anecdotal evidence suggests that the likely reason behind this is that deep wrinkles on the forehead reflect your lifestyle choices, including unhealthy diet, age, stress, etc. All these factors are known to contribute to a higher risk of heart disease.
There are also several other reasons behind why you might be getting wrinkles on your forehead. There are also some ways you can prevent these wrinkles from getting deeper.
Here are some reasons behind those forehead wrinkles by age.
Reasons For Having Forehead Wrinkles Between The Ages 20s to 30s
If you are getting forehead wrinkles during this decade of your life, then you need to take a good look at what environment you are subjecting yourself to. Check to make sure you are wearing sunscreen. Are you using sufficient moisturizer and exfoliating properly? Is there any source of stress in your life?
Research from Avon Products has shown that internal and external stress can cause different types of detrimental formations on the skin.(2) Even an upcoming new job interview to the daily pollution you are subjected to can wreak havoc on your skin and also cause acne and minor wrinkles to appear.
Try to work in some destressing activities into your daily routine. You can try to squeeze in ten minutes in the morning for meditation, or even yoga or tai chi can be helpful to deal with stress. Changing your diet to eating a balanced and healthy meal will also help keep your skin clear from any such 'formations.'
Reasons For Having Forehead Wrinkles Between The Ages 30s to 40s
In your early 30s, you should consider staying away from using any harsh chemicals on your skin. You can opt for trying light chemical exfoliation with face acids.
During this decade, dead skin cells start building up. This can darken the appearance of any wrinkles. To prevent this, you might try out some vitamin C serums, if you are not using them already. Not only do they hydrate, but they also help brighten your skin, making your wrinkles appear less deep.
On the other hand, when you start approaching your 40s, your skin can become significantly dehydrated.(3) So apart from exfoliation, you need to make sure that you are moisturizing regularly and using a heavier cream in the night. Drink plenty of water every day to remain hydrated. Water as well as moisturization work to put the elasticity back into your skin and they also help reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
At the same time, you can opt for using face acids. Certain face acids, such as lactic acid, are known for their excellent moisturizing effects. You can also choose products that contain hyaluronic acid. Here is a guide on which face acids will be best for you depending on your skin type:
- For Acne-Prone Or Oily Skin: Opt for salicylic acid, azelaic acid, lactic acid, glycolic acid, or mandelic acid
- For Mature Skin: Opt for lactic acid, ascorbic acid or vitamin C, glycolic acid, or ferulic acid
- For Fading Pigmentation On Skin: Opt for glycolic acid, lactic acid, ascorbic acid or vitamin C, ferulic acid, kojic acid, azelaic acid, or linoleic acid.
Reasons For Having Forehead Wrinkles Between The Ages 40s to 50s
Your skin in this decade can become significantly dehydrated and start producing less and less sebum. This means that the skin will become more reactive to any kind of environmental changes and stress.
The time period of the 40s to 50s is also when most people start feeling hormonal changes take a physical toll on their skin and their body in general. You are likely to notice limited flexibility as well as weight gain. Your 50s is also the time when you need to reevaluate your exercising habits and your diet. This is highly important because your risk for developing heart disease is at an all-time high during this decade.
You need to sit down and evaluate if there are any significant changes that you need to make in your lifestyle to support your body and your skin. You need to increase your intake of anti-oxidant foods and also regularly use a heavy-duty moisturizer. If you are a frequent traveler, then keep a travel pack rosewater spray with you to keep your skin hydrated while in a flight.
You can also try going in for the technique of dermarolling if you want to increase your collagen production. However, if, after carrying out the necessary lifestyle changes, you still do not see any significant changes in your forehead wrinkles, then you can always ask your doctor about laser treatments for getting rid of wrinkles on the forehead.
Reasons For Having Forehead Wrinkles Between The Ages 50s to 60s
During this decade, you should be paying more attention to your cardiovascular health and also checking in regularly with your doctor about not just your heart health, but regarding your overall health as well.
A healthy diet, regular exercising, controlled blood pressure and blood sugar, and having your family history in mind will help you prevent many lifestyle diseases and also keep those forehead wrinkles at bay.
If you are really concerned about wrinkles on your forehead and you already know that it is not related to any heart condition, then there are ways to removing them.
There are many topical products, and there are also technical methods such as lasers, fillers, and other stronger prescription medicines that can help you get rid of those wrinkles.
Here is a checklist you should go through when dealing with forehead wrinkles:
- Check if you are depressed, stressed, or anxious.
- Are you cleaning, exfoliating, and applying sunscreen correctly?
- Are you drinking adequate water and moisturizing regularly?
- Are you taking into account the dryness or humidity in the air?
- Are you eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and going for regular health check-ups?
The number of forehead wrinkles may cause others to think you are older than you actually are, but there is no reason to get rid of them unless you genuinely want to. Keep in mind that there are many natural remedies you can first try to get rid of these forehead wrinkles.
- Escardio.org. (2019). Deep forehead wrinkles may signal a higher risk for cardiovascular mortality. [online] Available at: https://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Press-Office/Press-releases/Deep-forehead-wrinkles-may-signal-a-higher-risk-for-cardiovascular-mortality [Accessed 25 Jul. 2019].
- Chen, Y. and Lyga, J., 2014. Brain-skin connection: stress, inflammation and skin aging. Inflammation & Allergy-Drug Targets (Formerly Current Drug Targets-Inflammation & Allergy), 13(3), pp.177-190.
- Firooz, A., Sadr, B., Babakoohi, S., Sarraf-Yazdy, M., Fanian, F., Kazerouni-Timsar, A., Nassiri-Kashani, M., Naghizadeh, M.M. and Dowlati, Y., 2012. Variation of biophysical parameters of the skin with age, gender, and body region. The Scientific World Journal, 2012.
- Can Chewing Gums Cause Wrinkles Around Face & Mouth?
- What Causes Wrinkles?|8 Best Home Remedies For Wrinkles?
- Is Castor Oil Good For Forehead And Under Eye Wrinkles?
- Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Deep Wrinkles Without Surgery Or Botox
- Top 10 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Deep Forehead Wrinkles
- 8 Medical Conditions Other Than Wrinkles That Can Be Treated With Botox
- What Causes Lip Wrinkles & How to Get Rid of It?