MRSA is an acronym used for methicillin resistant staphylococcus infection. This species of staph bacteria has become resistant to methicillin antibiotics and many other common antibiotics as well.
Does Tea Tree Oil Kill MRSA?
Tea tree oil is an essential oil obtained from the plant melaleuca alternifolia, which is a native plant to Australia. It is obtained through the steam distillation of this plant. This oil has been used as a topical antiseptic for centuries. It is also known to possess antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it is used in many health and beauty products like shampoos, soaps etc. however, there are not many clinical studies that support this theory. But whatever few studies have been carried out, they show that tea tree oil is quite effective in treating MRSA skin infections. The anti-microbial properties exhibited by tea tree oil are due to a class of chemical known as terpenes. Tea tree oil exerts a bactericidal effect. Hence, it is a useful addition to a MRSA treatment protocol.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Treatment Of MRSA?
It is extremely essential not to squeeze or pick on any boil on your skin. If the boil is not drained properly, it may get infected and affect the nearby organs as well.
One thing to be remembered while using any essential oil is that essential oils should not be used directly on your skin or body. They are very string and potent and a direct use may give you burns or allergies. Essential oils must be diluted with a carrier oil or water before using. Diluting with oils is preferable while using oils directly on skin. Water can be used when essential oils are used in aromatherapy or as relaxants in room fresheners.
- Mixing five drops of tea tree oil with a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil can be used for treating staph infections
- Apply this mixture on the affected area with a cotton swab soaked in the solution
- This can be done till you get relief from your condition
In addition to tea tree oil, some other essential oils and home remedies can be used to eliminate MRSA. Try using some of the following-
Lavender Essential Oil-
- Lavender oil is an antifungal, antibiotic
- It is also relaxing and quite uplifting for your mood
- Make sure you are not allergic to it before using it
Rosemary Essential Oil-
- Rosemary is antiviral, antimicrobial and very warming
- It also acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Hence, it is useful if there is a pain
- It is a great antibacterial and cane be applied directly at the site of MRSA infection
- As MRSA is resistant to many common types of antibiotics, this remedy really comes in handy in dealing with MRSA
- Oregano oil is antifungal, antiviral, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic
- It can help in relieving many symptoms of MRSA and can also eliminate other underlying infections
- Turmeric has very powerful immunity-boosting properties
- These properties are due to its active component curcumin
- A paste made from turmeric and a little amount of water can be applied directly to the affected area
- This paste can stop the infection from spreading
- You can notice a reduction or decrease in the severity of the MRSA wound very soon
- Aloe vera has been used as an antibiotic for generations
- Apply the gel like substance from the inside of the leaf on the wound directly and let it soak into the skin
- Aloe vera can speed up the healing, while at the same time it reduces the redness and pain associated with the MRSA sore or wound
Tea tree oil can be extremely beneficial in killing MRSA, especially when most other antibiotics fail to give results. Though very few studies have been conducted to prove its efficacy at killing MRSA, all those studies yield a positive result.