Massage therapy is very helpful in the management of gout by promoting blood circulation to the affected area and thereby reducing inflammation and swelling. As gout is caused due to poor diet and lifestyle hence the massage therapy will only be of benefit when it is used along with diet and lifestyle modifications.
Dietary and Lifestyle Modifications for Gout
- Dietary modifications include avoiding alcohol, meat, coffee, and protein rich foods.
- Patients should increase their water intake every day to prevent gout. This helps in the function of the kidneys and flushes out the toxins in the body.
- Along with these dietary and lifestyle modifications, massage therapy helps in alleviating pain and swelling in the affected joints.
Massage Therapy for Gout
Gout frequently affects the big toe in the foot. Massage therapy focused at the big toe nail helps in decreasing pain and swelling.
Some Massage Tips For Toe Massage Are
- The area located between the bottom base of the toe and the ball of the foot should be massaged. This helps in directly stimulating the blood circulation in the affected region.
- Massage the point present midway between the bottom of the little finger and the heel pad. This works as an acupressure point and relieves pain and swelling by encouraging uric acid excretion.
Watch 3D Video of Gout: Treatment, Massage Therapy, Prevention
Other Massage Techniques For Gout
Self Massage for Gout
- Remove your socks and shoes. Sit on a soft and cushioned surface. Lean back and bring your feet towards you.
- Bring up your left foot and place it on its side on your right knee. If you are right handed, you can start your massage with this foot. Begin with your right foot if you are left handed.
- Apply pressure using your left thumb on the ball of your foot. This is the region of thick pad on the sole under the base of your toes. Apply as much pressure as you want. You can also rub in small, clockwise circles on this specific spot. Keep doing this for about five minutes.
- Repeat the third step on the opposite foot.
- Switch your feet again. The region halfway between the heel and the base of the pinky toe should be rubbed for five minutes.
- How Long Does a Gout Attack Last & Home Remedies to Get Rid of it
- Gout: Causes, Risk Factors, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
Pseudogout Vs Gout: Differences Worth Knowing
- Disability Benefits For Gout