Spa therapy includes some of the following therapies like massage treatment, herb therapy and aromatherapy, color therapy, water therapy, facial therapy, yoga, nail care, and waxing. Spa therapies are found in all four corners of the world. Spa therapy offers various health benefits like revitalizing your tired body, reviving your mind and energizing your spirit. It also helps reduce the intensity of symptoms of following diseases:
- Benefits of Spa Therapy in Controlling Hypertension – Some of the spa therapy like massage and herb therapy helps to improve in blood circulation and lowers blood pressure.
- Health Benefits of Spa Therapy in Treating Muscle Spasm - Massage therapy and water treatment helps to decrease muscle spasm. Pain and stiffness are some of the symptoms of muscle spasm and massage helps in loosening the muscle and relieving the pain.
- Anxiety – Spa Therapy like Massage and Aromatherapy relieves anxiety thereby providing mental health benefits.
- Spa Therapy as a Stress Buster– Stress can be a form of physical stress or mental stress. Spa therapy like massage plays a significant role in providing relief from physical stress. Massage helps relax your tired muscle. Massage helps improve blood circulation and aids in reducing pain. As for the health benefits of spa therapy for mental stress, massage, aromatherapy, aqua therapy and herb therapy plays a positive role in reducing mental stress, relaxing the mind, helps overcome depression, and promotes a good sleep which is important if one has to de-stress.
- Spa Therapy Helps Build the Immune System - Massage and herb therapy improves function of immune system.
- Myofascial Pain – Spa therapies like massage treatment, aqua therapy and aromatherapy reduces muscular pain and inflammation of sore muscles.
- Fibromyalgia - Massage treatment, aqua therapy and aromatherapy reduces muscular pain and inflammation of sore muscles.
- Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis - Aqua therapy and massage treatment decreases musculoskeletal pain cause by rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Headache - Aromatherapy, herb treatment and aqua therapy decreases intensity of headache.
- Diabetes - Massage treatment and aqua therapy improves carbohydrate metabolism and reduced blood level of sugar in diabetic patients.
- Raynaud's Disease – Spa therapies like massage therapy, aqua treatment and aromatherapy reduces osseous pain in patient suffering with Raynaud's disease.
- Multiple Sclerosis - Massage therapy and aqua therapy relegate Multiple Sclerosis pain, lessen muscle spasm and marginally improves joint movements.
- Heart Diseases - Spa therapy improves cardiac functions by reducing peripheral vascular resistance.
- Pelvic Pain Syndrome - Massage therapy, yoga treatment and aqua therapy which are all different forms of Spa Therapy helps to reduce pelvic sympathetic pain by improving pelvic blood flow and tolerance to pain.
- Sciatica Pain – Spa therapies like yoga, massage therapy and aqua therapy decreases back and leg pain. Therapy also helps to strengthen back muscles and improves vertebral joint movements. Deep tissue massage in quite helpful in treating piriformis syndrome.
Points to Remember for a Safe Spa Therapy
Before undergoing any spa treatment, it is important to consider some points. The thing to remember is a particular spa therapy which works for someone need not work for you, as different bodies respond differently to a specific spa treatment. If you are feeling uncomfortable during the spa therapy, then stop the treatment immediately. Always consult your local physician if you are suffering from a chronic or serious illness or if you are pregnant before undergoing any spa therapy.
Essential oils are very concentrated and should never be applied directly to the skin without diluting it first. Essential oils should never be drunk. Spa treatments done for detoxifying the body have some side effects such as nausea, headaches, sore muscles and skin rashes. Drinking plenty of water is recommended in order to support the body's natural detoxification processes.
Always read the instructions and labels given on the product before applying it to your skin. A patch test should be done on the skin to find out if you are sensitive or allergic to a particular product. Avoid using exfoliating products if the skin is irritated. The temperature of the water should always be checked before the spa treatments to avoid unwarranted scalding.
Required Spa Products or Spa Tools to Derive Spa Therapy Benefits at Home
Spa tools and products can be easily stored at your home. To have an ideal spa environment and to derive the benefits of spa therapy, keep your place tidy and invest in some aromatherapy diffusers and candles along with soft flannel sheets washed in lavender water to create an atmosphere of a luxurious spa. As the spa treatments commonly involve cleansing and moisturizing the skin, other essential products required are shower gels and body lotions scented with relaxing and invigorating aromas. Neutral oils, such as jojoba or almond to mix with essential oils, are also needed for massages.
Always use those essential oils which you are comfortable with, particularly the smell. Stop using those products which make you uncomfortable. Salt and sugar scrub are useful for your skin. Other products include bath salts, mud body & face mask, body butters, antioxidant moisturizers, and replenishing shampoos and conditioners etc. Another important item to have is a loofah which helps in improving the circulation and exfoliating your skin. Other tools required are a brush for your body and your face, cotton balls, nail buffer, foot file, emery boards, pumice stone and orange sticks, hand mitts and foot booties, eye and neck pillows etc.