Effectiveness and Safety of Adderall in Treating ADHD and Narcolepsy
Adderall constitutes of a mixture of both dextroamphetamine and amphetamine. Dextroamphetamine and amphetamine are the stimulants of central nervous system which influence the chemicals present in the brain as well as nerves which play a major role in impulse control and hyperactivity.
Adderall is effective in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as narcolepsy. One should not make use of Adderall if one has overactive thyroid, glaucoma moderate to serious hypertension, severe agitation and history of alcohol or drug addiction or a coronary artery disease.
If the patient has consumed an MAO inhibitor drug in the past two weeks, then Adderall is avoided. Isocarboxazid, methylene blue injection, tranylcypromine, linezolid, selegiline, rasagiline, and phenelzine all come under the MAO inhibitors. Adderall may be addictive. Hence, this medicine is not shared with another person in particular if he has a history of drug addiction or abuse.
Using Adderall in an improper manner can lead to the death of the person as well as severe side effects especially on the heart.
How Does Adderall Work?
Adderall is similar to amphetamine which comprises of various salts of amphetamine like the amphetamine aspartate and sulfate and dextroamphetamine saccharate and sulfate. There is no proper evidence of what is the mechanism of action of Adderall in ADHD but there is a belief that it influences the re-uptake of two neurotransmitters, norepinephrine and dopamine. Adderall is a stimulant of central nervous system.
Effectiveness of Adderall in Treating ADHD and Narcolepsy
Adderall is effective in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and for narcolepsy. For ADHD, it may elevate attention and reduce hyperactivity as well as impulsiveness. Generally Adderall is used in combination with other options of treatment like psychotherapy. It is not suggested in children who have age under three.
- Adderall should be taken in the morning time.
- Can be administered with food or even without food.
- Take it at the lowermost effective quantity and take just as prescribed by the doctor; without their advice dosage is not increased.
- Prevent rapid termination of Adderall as this can lead to a withdrawal response.
- Search for medical advice if the symptoms sustain or aggravate in spite of treatment, or if different psychotic symptoms like signs of paranoia or hearing voices take place.
- Search for urgent medical assistance in case of shortness of breath, chest pain or falling unconscious while using Adderall.
- Driving and operate machinery is strictly prohibited if the drug imbalances your decision-making or reaction capabilities.
- Search for medical recommendation if any new pain, numbness, change in skin color or sensitivity or mysterious wounds arise on fingers or toes.
- Adderall is effective in treating ADHD and narcolepsy as the peak concentrations are attained in three hours after one dose.
Safety of Adderall in Treating ADHD and Narcolepsy
The use of adderall is safe to use when prescribed by a doctor. If the age of the person is between 18 and 60 and takes no other treatment or he is not suffering from any other medical conditions, the likely side-effects he is going to experience involve:
- High possibility of dependence particularly when Adderall is taken for long duration of time.
- High possibility of drug abuse. Might be hunted in drug abusers or individual possessing addiction disorders. Using Adderall in an improper manner may lead to sudden death or cardiovascular diseases.
- Adderall might not be appropriate for individual with various heart conditions, as danger of unexpected expiry increased even with normal dosages.
- May aggravate pre-existent psychiatric disorders like psychotic disorder or mania, bipolar disorder; and increase tension, anxiety, and agitation.
- Adderall may damage decision-making or responding skills; exercise carefulness before operating machinery or driving lest complete effects of Adderall are recognized.
- Reports show some transitory decelerating of growth may take place when Adderall is administered regularly to children between 7-10 years ages. The doctors must take notice of height as well as weight and take into consideration treatment interruption if suppression of growth is suspected.
- Adderall may elevate the danger of seizures and problems of peripheral circulatory system and lead to visual concerns.
- May lead to heart palpitations, constipation dry mouth and other gastrointestinal disorders, weight loss, headache, alopecia (hair loss), changes in libido, increase blood pressure as well as impact the muscles.
- Adderall may cause depression when the drug is being withdrawn, especially in those people who are addicted to it.
- Occasional cases of priapism which refers to hurting erections have also been reported.
Adderall is a mixture of four different types of amphetamine salts which combine to give one product and is taken for the effective treatment of narcolepsy or ADHD. Its use is restricted because of its tendency to be addictive and lead to dependence.