Biaxin belonging to clarithromycin family of drugs is an antibiotic of macrolide type. Clarithromycin fights against bacteria in the human body and kills them.
How Effective is Biaxin Antibiotic in Treating Skin &Respiratory Infections?
Biaxin is effective in treating various infectious diseases caused by bacteria attacking respiratory system & skin. Biaxin is additionally used in combination with other drugs to treat peptic ulcers created by bacteria Helicobacter pylori.
Biaxin is not used to treat patients who have life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias, or having family background of long QT syndrome, in patients also having past history of hepatic complications such as hepatitis or jaundice caused by intake of Biaxin, or having low potassium levels in the blood, or having renal complications & are further using colchicine.
Other drugs also interfere accompanying clarithromycin. Some medicines in the market which can cause fatal reactive interactions when accompanied with clarithromycin. So, give a brief treatment history to your doctor about all the medicines you are using now or used in the past.
Use Biaxin for whole prescribed time length for effective treatment. Signs may get better or even disappear before infection is wholly treated. Using doses off and on can increase the risk of additional attacks of infection by making bacteria resistant to these antibiotics. Biaxin is not used in the treatment of viral infections such as flu or common cold.
Biaxin is not recommended to patients who are allergic or hypersensitive to clarithromycin or similar drugs like erythromycin, telithromycin or Azithromycins such as Zmax, Z-Pak or Zithromax etc…
Some drugs when used while also taking Biaxin can lead to some dangerous and even fatal effects. Your doctor must alter the plan of treatment if you are taking any of the following drugs:
- Simvastatin or Lovastatin
To ensure that Biaxin is not harmful for you, you should inform the physician if you have/had:
- Hepatic disease;
- Renal illness;
- Imbalance of electrolytes
- Porphyria (a genetic enzyme defect causing symptoms damaging the skin or nervous system)
- LQTS or Long QT syndrome;
- Myasthenia gravis;
- Take heart rhythm medicines such as amiodarone, dofetilide, disopyramide, dronedarone, flecainide, ibutilide, procainamide, mexiletine, quinidine, propafenone.
It is also suspected that Biaxin crosses placental barrier and harm the fetus so also consult with doctor about its use in cases of pregnancy. In lab animals, it causes birth defects. However, very high doses are injected in such test animals so it is yet unconfirmed rather it can cause birth defects in fetuses of mothers using the normal doses of this drug during pregnancy. So, better consult with the doctor about risks.
Biaxin can also get to breast milk and can harm baby fed on mother milk. So, also consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding your baby.
How Safe is Biaxin Antibiotic in Treating Skin & Respiratory Infections?
The use of Biaxin is safe in treating skin and respiratory infections as long as the patient is taking it as suggested by the physician. Use Biaxin as recommended by the doctor. You should strictly follow all the instructions on your prescription. Do not use this drug in greater / smaller quantity and use it for the whole prescribed duration.
- It can be taken as Biaxin tablets and liquid without or with food.
- Clarithromycin XL extended-release tablets also called as Biaxin XL however should always be taken immediately after food.
- Never chew, crush or break an extended release XL Biaxin tablet instead swallow it as such.
- Shake well the Biaxin liquid right before measuring quantity of dose. Measure it with dosing syringe or with a medicine cup or special dose-measuring spoon.
- Take it for full prescribed length. It is given for 7-14 days. Symptoms can improve well before infection is wholly treated so use it for full length of time.
- Store it at 25°C away from heat and moisture.
- Never keep liquid preparation in the refrigerator. Expire liquid preparations after every 14 days.
Side Effects of Biaxin Antibiotic in Treating Skin & Respiratory Infections
Biaxin can have adverse side effects. Seek emergency medical aid if you develop symptoms of an allergic reaction to Biaxin like hives; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat and difficulty in breathing etc.
Common Biaxin Side Effects are as Follows: