Effectiveness of Flomax, Its Dosage & Side Effects
In the case of men who are taking flomax or tamsulosin for the first time, fainting or dizziness is common. Thus, you need to avoid driving vehicle or operating motors when you are taking flomax or tamsulosin for the first time. Try to keep yourself physically active or you might feel dizzy. If you have discontinued the dose, always consult your doctor about the appropriate dosage before starting it again.
How Flomax Works?
Flomax or tamsulosin helps in relaxing the muscles on prostate and neck by acting in the alpha receptors. Flomax or tamsulosin is an effective medication for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and also improves the flow of urine.
How Effective is Flomax?
Flomax is effective in treating a condition known as enlarged prostate gland or BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia). Flomax or tamsulosin effectively helps in getting the muscles around the prostate and bladder neck to relax by acting as an alpha-blocker. Flomax or tamsulosin is especially useful in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate) in improving the urination and making it normal. However, it is not recommended to be used in the case of women and children.
- Flomax capsules must be taken in the original form. Do not chew; crush to try to open the capsules.
- Be careful when you switch to standing position.
- Avoid driving or operating any heavy machinery if you are taking Flomax as it may cause dizziness.
- There is always a risk of prostate cancer if you are having BPH. Thus, it is important that you go through screening for prostate cancer. Talk to your doctor about the screening tests.
The response and effectiveness of flomax or tamsulosin is excellent. If you have taken flomax or tamsulosin on empty stomach then it usually takes 4-5 hours for the drug to take full effect. On the other hand, it may take longer about 6-7 hours if you consume it after a meal. In some cases, it may take up to 5 days for the urination to get normal.
Some people may be allergic to flomax or tamsulosin and need to avoid it. Also, it is not recommended to be used along with certain medications like terazosin (Hytrin), silodosin (Rapaflo), prazosin (Minipress), doxazosin (Cardura) and alfuzosin (Uroxatral).
Flomax is known to influence the pupils if you are planning to have a cataract surgery. Keep your doctor informed that you are taking flomax or any other medication. Do not stop taking the medication unless asked by your doctor.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Flomax?
General Adult Dose of Flomax or Tamsulosin for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia:
- Initially, the flomax or tamsulosin dosage must be kept down to 0.4 mg per day taken orally
- The maximum dosage must not exceed 0.8 mg per day taken orally
- When you discontinue the dosage, you need to start with 0.4 mg per day dosage irrespective of your previous dosage.
- Flomax or tamsulosin is an effective treatment option for managing the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
What are the Side Effects of Flomax?
Flomax is known to cause certain side effects and allergic reactions. If you observe any signs and symptoms of side-effects, it is recommended that you approach the nearest medical centre or doctor for treatment or advice. Common side effects include swelling in throat, tongue, lips and face. Some other side effects include dizziness, headache and light headedness. Some people may also have penis erection that is painful and can last for up to 4 hours. Skin reactions leading to dull skin, irritation, rashes, burning sensation, fever etc are some other side effects of flomax or tamsulosin.
Flomax or tamsulosin can cause certain side effects:
- Reduction in semen production leading to sexual impotency
- Headache, dizziness and drowsiness
- Flomax also increases the risk of orthostatic hypotension, a condition where the blood pressure drops suddenly when you switch to standing position. This is more common when you have just started to take the drug or when you try to increase the dosage
- Some people may also experience loss of consciousness temporarily
- Forced penis erection that is painful and can last for more than 4 hours.
- Flomax or tamsulosin is not recommended if you are planning to undergo glaucoma or cataract surgery.
Flomax or tamsulosin is helpful in effectively treating the symptoms of BPH or Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and getting the urine flow back to normal in case of men. However, it can cause certain side effects such as low blood pressure when you switch to standing position.