Kadian can become a habit especially when taken at regular doses. This medicine kadian has to be taken only as per your doctor’s advice. You should not share or give this medicine kadian to anyone else that is because misuse of kadian can result in death, overdose or addiction mainly in children or people for whom doctor has not prescribed this medicine.
How Effective is Kadian?
Kadian is an effective medication for opioid pain which is also known as a narcotic medicine. This medicine kadian is used to effectively treat severe or mild pain.
Extended – release kadian medicine are taken only pain relief is needed for around the clock. This type of morphine is not be used for regular pain.
- If you have blockage in intestines or stomach, difficulty in breathing, asthma, paralytic ileus (bowel obstruction), then do not take kadian.
- This medicine kadian can stop or slow your breathing mainly when it is taken for the first time and when the dosages are changed therefore, never take kadian in large amount or when not needed. It is important to swallow the tablet as it is and should not be crushed or broken.
- If you are planning to become pregnant or pregnant do not take kadian as it will cause life threatening conditions in the unborn baby if the mother takes kadian while she is pregnant.
- Do not drink alcohol while on kadian medication as it will cause death or dangerous side effects.
Points to Know Before Taking Kadian
If you have ever experienced any allergic reactions to kadian or any other narcotic medications do not take this kadian. Also, do not take kadian medicine if you have any of these conditions:
Blockage in intestines, stomach
Difficulty in breathing, severe asthma
Paralytic ileus (bowel obstructions)
If you have used a MOA inhibitor in the last fourteen days do not take kadian medicine as it is dangerous and severe drug reaction can take place. MAO inhibitors are selegiline, methylene blue injection, tranylcypromine, linezolid, rasagiline, etc.
You will not be treated with kadian medicine until you are not treated with a similar narcotic pain medicine and are able to tolerate it. You must tell your doctor if you are not sure of being opioid tolerant.
You should not share or give kadian medicine to anyone else that is because misuse of kadian medicine can result in death. Giving away kadian medicine or selling to anyone is against law.
There are some medicines that interact with kadian medicine and cause serious conditions such as serotonin syndrome. Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine for mental illness, migraine headache, depression, serious infections, Parkinson’s disease, prevention of vomiting or nausea. You must also talk to your doctor about the changes and how to take which medicine when needed.
In order to make kadian medicine safe for your tell your doctor if you have any of these conditions:
- History of head injury, seizures, brain tumor
- Urination problems
- Lung diseases or breathing problems
- Kidney diseases or lung diseases
- If you are using any sedatives like ativan, restoril, xanax, alprazolam, versed, klonopin, diazepam, tranxene, etc.
- Problems with thyroid, pancreas, gallbladder
- History of mental illness, alcohol addiction, drug abuse.
If you are pregnant you must tell your doctor as it unknown if kadian medicine can harm unborn baby. Taking kadian medicine during pregnancy there is a chance for the baby to be dependent on the drug. Kadian can cause dangerous and life threatening symptoms in baby’s after birth. Babies who are born habit forming dependent on kadian medicine will need many weeks of treatment.
Kadian medicine passes into breast milk and to the feeding baby. Therefore, tell your doctor if you are breast feeding
What are the Side Effects of Kadian?
If you have any allergic reactions to kadian medicine such as swelling of your tongue, face, throat, lips, difficulty in breathing or hives, get immediate medical help.
Kadian medicine can cause slow breathing like other narcotic drugs which can result in death if the person becomes very weak.
Get immediate medical assistance if you have these severe side effects of kadian:
- Fast or pounding heartbeats, chest pain
- Missed menstrual periods, infertility
- Shallow or weak breathing, sighing, slow heart rate
- Sexual problems, impotence, loss of interest in sex
- Severe drowsiness like passing out
- Low cortisol levels – dizziness, loss of appetite, weakness, tiredness, vomiting, nausea
It is important to get immediate medical assistance if you have any signs of serotonin syndrome like fever, hallucinations, loss of coordination, muscle stiffness, vomiting, twitching, fast heart rate, diarrhea, agitation etc.
The medicine will cause breathing problems mainly in older adults who are malnourished, debilitated, and severely ill.
Other common side effects of kadian medicine are:
- Tired feeling, headache
- Dizziness, drowsiness
- Vomiting, stomach pain, constipation, nausea
- Mild itching, anxiety are also side effects of kadian.