Boniva is popularly known as ibandronate which comes under a group of medications known as the bisphosphonates. If you face problems in standing for a long time or sitting upright then too you should avoid boniva medicine because it can result in stomach problems.
To ensure complete safety, do tell the doctor if you are facing any of the problems like deficiency of vitamin D, kidney problem, stomach ulcer, problem in swallowing etc…
How Effective is Boniva?
Boniva is effective in treating the problems related to bone formation or the bone breakdown. With the help of Boniva you can not only lower the loss of bones but also see an increase in the bone mass which further helps in preventing the bone fractures.
For treating post menopause osteoporosis too the Boniva is quite helpful.
In case if you have any kind of allergy to ibandronate then you must not take this medicine. Also if you are suffering from kidney problems or low calcium in your blood then too you might face health issues. In case of esophagus problems too you should avoid this medicine.
Though Boniva is an effective medicine but it might result in bone loss in your jaw. This may result in symptoms like loose teeth, problem in breathing, numbness etc. If you continue taking the medicine for a very long time, you may reach to this state where you can suffer from the above problems too.
If you have received chemotherapy you may fall prey to Osteonecrosis. Also there are other risks like anemia, dental issues and blood clotting.
If you come across any risk do consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Though it does not harm the infants but still tell the doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding your baby.
How Should I Use Boniva?
Boniva should be taken exactly as instructed by your physician Make sure the instructions are followed correctly especially regarding the dose as it should be as told by your doctor.
Usually one medicine is prescribed per day and has to be continued till a month and can further be increased according to the condition. Injections are also given once in three months so you can visit your nearest health care center for the same.
Proper guidelines have to be followed when taking Boniva. Get up in the morning and take the medicine first as you cannot eat anything for the next one hour. So it is better to take Boniva early in the morning. In case you are taking the medicine only once in a month then keep the date fix.
Take the medicine with water at least one full glass. Plain water is what you should use while taking the medicine and not any mineral water or other options.
You need to swallow the Boniva medicine with water and not chew or crush it within the mouth.
Precautions for at Least 1 Full Hour after Taking a Boniva Tablet:
- You cannot lie down or recline after you have taken Boniva.
- Nothing has to be eaten or consumed once Boniva is taken for at least an hour. In case you want, you can drink water.
- In case you are taking calcium supplements or other medicines, do tell the doctor about the same so that the dose can be decided accordingly.
- Make sure the bone mineral density is checked on a regular basis to see whether the medicine is working or not.
- If you are visiting the dentist make sure you tell them about the medicine that you are taking and other supplements too.
- Medicine is not only the way to fight with the problem but you will have to make changes in your diet and do some work-out as well to keep fit. For the diet you can consult your doctor about things that need to be avoided and what stuff should be eaten.
- Keep the bottle in a cool place especially away from the sunlight.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Boniva?
General Adult Dose for Osteoporosis:
In case you are taking Boniva orally then 150mg is what is advisable for the entire month.
In case you are taking Boniva in the form of IV injection then you can take around 3mg of the dose for 15-30 seconds once in every 3 months.
- In case of IV injection of Boniva, you should get it administered from time to time and at least once in every 3 months.
- Administration is very important and you should not compromise with it in any way.
- Regular oral examination is necessary.
- It helps in treating osteoporosis, reduces vertebral fractures and increases bone density
What are the Side Effects of Boniva?
There are some side effects of taking boniva. If you face any kind of allergy after taking the medicine or feel any discomfort do call the doctor or visit them as needed.
Allergies like swelling on face or lips is common along with slow breath, breathing problems etc.
In case you come across any of the below problems then you must stop using the medicine immediately and get in touch with the doctor at the earliest:
Pain in chest, problem in swallowing, pain in your back or ribs, severe pain in the joints or muscles and numbness.
Some of the common side effects that you will experience with Boniva are headache, flu symptoms, pain in legs or pain in arms. Problem while swallowing the medicine, redness in the eyes, swelling on the face and diarrhea.