Clonidine is a chemical that helps in reducing the blood pressure by lowering the level of few chemicals that are present in your blood. This process leads to relaxation of the blood vessels and makes the heart beat slow and easy. Clonidine has 2 brands, kapvay which treats ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and brand catapres which treat high blood pressure.
It is very important to inform your doctor about any heart disease before taking clonidine. Other issues that must be mentioned before the doctor include low blood pressure, kidney disease, slow heartbeats, kidney disease, if you have a history of strokes or heart attack or if you are allergic to Catapres.
How Does Clonidine Work?
Clonidine works on the brain receptors which reduces the blood pressure. However, how it works on ADHD is still not known.
How Effective is Clonidine?
Clonidine is the final resort to effectively treat high blood pressure when all the other treatments fail. It can also be used for treating some other medical conditions like Tourette's syndrome which even though is not approved by the FDA, however, can still be used for therapy purpose.
- When you start consuming clonidine, one should avoid driving or handling machinery until its effects are known to the consumer.
- Clonidine should be swallowed whole and not crushed.
- One must completely discontinue the consumption of clonidine without doctor's advice. Withdrawal from clonidine should be a slow process.
- If you are consuming clonidine, then it is advisable to get your kidney and blood pressure checked on a regular basis.
- Clonidine can cause dryness in your eyes and hence one must keep eye drops handy when taking clonidine. If the issue is severe, doctor consultation is recommended. Clonidine should be consumed at night to avoid the issues of dry mouth and sedation.
- If by chance, you happen to miss the daily dose, then you must leave that day's dose and continue with your next day dose. Do not consume more than your stipulated dose.
The effectiveness and response of clonidine is excellent. Within 1 to 3 hours, the effect of the medicine is visible. The blood pressure gets lowered pretty quickly. The minimum time to show the effect is 30 minutes while the maximal is 2-4 hours. If it is used along with other medicines, the result may further extend to several days.
What are the Side Effects of Clonidine?
If you witness any allergic reaction after consuming clonidine, you should immediately seek medical help. Allergic reactions include swelling of face, tongue, lips etc, or having difficulty in breathing. In case you have any of the below-mentioned symptoms, immediately call the doctor:
- Severe pain in the chest, irregularity in a heartbeat or breath shortness
- Slowing down of the heart rate
- A headache, blurred vision, pounding in ears and neck region
- Bleeding from Nose
- Anxiety attack
- Feeling Nauseate.
Few Common Side Effects Of Clonidine Are:
- Feeling drowsy and dizzy
- Getting irritated quickly
- Losing your appetite, dryness of mouth, dryness in eyes
- Nightmares, sleeping disorders like Insomnia.
A headache, drowsiness, fatigue, constipation are some of the side effects that might be faced while consuming clonidine. Few other effects which are not that common are anxiety. Skin infections, hallucinations, slowing down of the heart rate etc… are also seen. Skin rashes can be observed when using Transdermal clonidine which can further become worse on usage and hence doctor's advice should be taken immediately if a skin rash is observed.
Clonidine can be taken to effectively lower the blood pressure and for treating ADHD. However, clonidine can cause sedation as well.