How Effective is Harvoni & What are it’s Side Effects, Dosage?
Harvoni is made up of sofosbuvir and ledipasvir. Sofosbuvir and ledipasvir are antiviral medicines that inhibits hepatitis C virus (HCV) from growing in your body.
How Effective is Harvoni?
Harvoni is effectively utilized in treating hepatitis c genotypes 1, 4, 5, and 6. Harvoni medicine is only used in adults and children of over 12 years or those weighing 35kgs (77 pounds) and above.
Harvoni is sometimes used together with another medication known as ribavirin. Never take harvoni if you are using sofosbuvir or sovaldi tablets. Harvoni can restore or worsen hepatitis B condition. You will require regular blood tests to monitor your liver functioning.
What to know Before Using Harvoni?
Do not take Harvoni when you are allergic to sofosbuvir or ledipasvir or if you are also using solvadi or sofosbuvir tablets.
To be safe with Harvoni, inform your doctor if you have:
- Kidney problems or when on dialysis
- Hepatitis b history
- History of liver transplant
- HIV or AIDS
- Using Heart rhythm disorder medications like amiodfarone (pacerone, cordarone)
Do not take Harvoni together with Ribarvin when you have:
- Serious kidney illness
- Hemoglobin blood cell ailment like thalassemia or sickle-cell anemia.
- When pregnant or a husband that his wife is pregnant.
Harvoni is not projected to hurt unborn child. Inform your doctor if you are or planning to be pregnant.
Harvoni can sometimes be taken together with another medication known as Ribavirin. Ribavirin may lead to death or defects in unborn child. You may be required to undergo negative pregnancy before using Ribavirin and each month when pregnant while on treatment.
- A pregnant woman should not use ribavirin. A man should not use ribavirin also if his wife or sexual partner is pregnant. The unborn baby can get hurt if the man fathers the baby while using ribavirin.
- You should use at least two types of effective birth control to hinder pregnancy when you or your partner is using ribavirin. Use the 2 types of birth controls for more than 6 months after the ribavirin treatment.
- You should inform your doctor immediately if you get pregnant while either you or your partner is on ribavirin treatment.
It is not established whether sofosbuvir or ledipasvir gets into breast milk or whether it can hurt a nursing child. Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
Harvoni should not be used in people below 12 years or those weighing below 35 kgs (77 pounds).
What is the Recommended Dosage of Harvoni?
General Adult Dosage of Harvoni for Treating Chronic Hepatitis C:
Take 1 tablet oral dosage once per day.
Period of treatment:
For treating simple patients with no cirrhosis: 12 weeks of harvoni treatment or 8 weeks can be deliberated when pretreatment HCV RNA is below 6 million global units/mL
For treating simple patients with cirrhosis: 12 weeks of harvoni treatment.
Therapy knowledgeable patients with no cirrhosis: 12 weeks treatment.
Therapy knowledgeable patients with cirrhosis: 24 weeks treatment.
- Revert amounts are affected by viral aspects and baseline host and vary amid periods of treatment for particular subgroups.
- Treatment knowledgeable patients are those people who were not successful with either ribavirin/peginterferon alfa or ribavirin/peginterferon alfa/HVC protease inhibitor.
Harvoni is used for the treating severe hepatitis C genotype 1 infection
What are the Side Effects of Harvoni?
Seek immediate medical assistance if you experience any symptoms of allergic reactions to Glucotrol; such as breathing difficulties, hives or swelling of your lips, throat, face and tongue.
If you are also using a heart medication known as amiodarone, contact your doctor immediately if you have the following severe side effects of harvoni:
- Thrilling fatigue
- Unfamiliar weakness or generally feeling sick
- Memory issue or confusion
- A fainting feeling or light headed
- Short breaths or reduced breathing
- Weak pulse
- Reduced heartbeats
- Chest pain.
Common Side Effects of Harvoni Include:
What You Must Avoid While Using Harvoni?
Avoid using antacid 4 hours before or after using harvoni. This specifically includes antacids that have magnesium or aluminium such as Di-Gel, Acid Gone, Aaldroxicon, Gaviscon, Genaton, Gelusil, Maalox, Milk of Magnesia, Maldroxal, Mylagen, Mintox, Mylanta, Rolaids, Pepcid Complete, Rulox and more.
Use of harvoni will not inhibit you from transmitting hepatitis C to others. You should not share toothbrushes, razors or have unprotected sex. Ask your doctor of how to have safe sex without HCV transmission. Sharing of medicines and needles is not safe even in healthy people.