There are high possibilities of you having heavy sleepiness caused by meclizine if you take it along with medicines for muscle relaxers, narcotic pain medicine, allergy or cold medicines, sleeping pills, anxiety or depression medicine, sedatives, seizure medicines, etc.
How Effective is Meclizine?
Meclizine is a medicine to reduce natural chemical histamine effects in the human body which is also known as an antihistamine.
Meclizine is used for the effective treatment of dizziness, vomiting, nausea that mainly occurs due to motion sickness. Also Vertigo symptoms can be effectively treated with meclizine such as spinning sensation and dizziness which are mainly caused due to the inner ears affected by the disease.
If you are allergic to meclizine medicine do not try this. In case you have any urination problems, enlarged prostate, glaucoma, asthma or kidney or liver disease do not take meclizine.
There are chances for meclizine to impair your reactions or thinking therefore you should be careful when you do anything that needs you to be alert such as driving.
During meclizine treatment, alcohol consumption will increase severe side effects.
Prior to Taking Meclizine
You must tell your doctor if you have any of these following conditions to make meclizine safe for you:
If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant you must tell your doctor as it is not expected to harm unborn baby.
Also, tell your doctor if you are breast feeding your child as it is unknown if this medicine will pass through breast milk to the feeding baby
This medicine meclizine is not to be given to children below 12 years.
How to Take Meclizine?
This medicine meclizine is to be taken as prescribed by your physician. Also follow all the guidelines mentioned in the label. This medicine meclizine is not to be taken in smaller or larger amount and when not needed anymore.
You must chew the chewable tablet before you swallow it.
- In order to prevent motion sickness, it is wise to take meclizine an hour or two before if you are having to travel or any other activity that might cause motion sickness.
When you are traveling it is wise to take one dose for every 24 hours mainly to prevent motion sickness.
- Meclizine will need to be taken multiple days per day to treat vertigo. Also, it is important to follow doctor’s advices correctly.
Allergy skin tests results will be affected by using meclizine. Tell your physician you are taking this medicine at the time of consultation.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Meclizine?
- Treatment for Vomiting/Nausea – Regular adult dosage
- One time a day orally – 25 to 50 milligrams meclizine
- Treatment for Vertigo – Regular adult dosage
- One to four times a day orally – 25 milligrams meclizine or Two times a day orally – 50 milligrams
- Treatment for Motion sickness – Regular adult dosage
- One time a day orally – 25 to 50 milligrams meclizine (take the medicine an hour before you travel)
- Wise to not exceed 50 milligrams meclizine in 24 hours
- Treatment for Vomiting/Nausea – Regular pediatric dosage
- Less than 12 years – One time a day orally – 25 to 50 milligrams
- Treatment for Vertigo – Regular pediatric dosage
- Less than 12 years – One to four times a day orally – 25 milligrams meclizine or Two times a day orally – 50 milligrams
- Treatment for Motion sickness – Regular pediatric dosage
- Less than 12 years – One time a day orally – 25 to 50 milligrams meclizine (take the medicine an hour before you travel)
- Wise to not exceed 50 milligrams in 24 hours
What are the Side Effects of Meclizine?
If you have any allergic reactions such as difficulty in breathing, hives or even swelling of tongue, face, throat, lips while taking this medicine, get immediate medical assistance
Here are few of the common side effects of meclizine:
- Tired feeling
- Dry mouth;
- Vomiting is a side effect of meclizine