Radish During Pregnancy:
Pregnancy is that time of life when every mother-to-be is very cautious of most of the things. During this period the body requires more calories than before. There are many diet-related questions that pop up in the mind. One such question is whether radish is good to be consumed during this period or not.
Benefits of Radish
- Radish is rich in vitamins and minerals and is extremely beneficial for the baby in the belly.
- It is rich in calcium which is important for the growth of teeth, bones, and muscles of the baby.
- Folic acid present in radish ensures that the baby does not suffer from any birth defect. To obtain folic acid from radish you need to eat it raw as folic acid disappears when heated.
- Radish is also rich in potassium, vitamin C, and iron, which also plays a role in the growth and development of the baby. Vitamin C enhances the body’s immune function and improves disease resistance.
- It contains fiber that can accelerate intestinal peristalsis and reduce the chances of constipation.
- The anti-hypertensive effect of radish prevents and treats pregnancy hypertension and is an ideal food to be consumed during the second and third trimester of pregnancy.(1)
- The mustard oil present in radish promotes gastrointestinal peristalsis, improves appetite and aids digestion.
- It is very important to know the right way to eat it so that it does not harm health.
How To Eat Radish During Pregnancy?
The benefits mentioned above surely make radish good food to be consumed during pregnancy. It is only that a female should consume it appropriately.
Before cooking any vegetable, it is important to wash it thoroughly, so is with radish. It should be washed with lukewarm water and the dirt on its surface should be scrubbed off. Also, if eating the leaves, they should be thoroughly cleaned. It can then be sliced to be eaten as a salad.
- Cooking kills bacteria. Therefore, cooking and eating it can be a good idea. Depending on the type of dish, cook the leaves as well.
- There are several ways radish can be eaten such as in the form of salad, the pieces can be used to garnish a soup, or it can be sautéed in pasta sauce.
- Radish is eaten in raw form, which is not advised during pregnancy. The bacteria present in it may cause infection or other diseases. During pregnancy, the immune system does not function properly which gives scope to various bacteria and parasites to flourish.
- Radish grows beneath the soil, which if is contaminated can cause toxoplasmosis. Contaminated radish might also contain E.coli and salmonella. These bacteria can cause fever and dehydration which can adversely affect the health of the growing baby.
- Any mistake in diet during pregnancy can lead to complications. Therefore if keen on eating radish, you just need to follow a few safety measures.
- Make sure you wash the vegetable properly scrubbing away any dirt. Make use of a vegetable brush to ensure all the dirt is washed away.
- Steam or cook the vegetable before consuming as heat kills the pathogens that can cause infection.
- You can sauté radish as a side dish or add it to the soup.
- If chopped radish on a board, make sure, the board is cleaned before chopping other vegetables on it.
- There are just a few simple steps to follow while eating radish during pregnancy. It is a nutritious vegetable to be consumed while pregnant, only one needs to make sure it is properly cleaned or cooked before eating.
- Pregnancy is a time one needs to be very careful with self-health and the health of the baby inside.
- Eat safe as you need to keep the growing baby healthy too.