What is an Epidermoid Cyst?
Epidermoid Cyst also known as sebaceous cysts is a cyst majorly found on the skin. Epidermoid cyst is made from keratin, which is a protein component found in hair and skin. In case the walls of the cyst are broken then it secretes a sticky yellowish liquid known as keratin, which causes irritation in the surrounding skin. The size of the cyst either remains small for years or it may become bigger in size, also it is very common in adults than in children. The most important thing about epidermoid cyst is that it is cancerous.
Causes of Epidermoid Cyst
Epidermoid cyst results when there is implantation of epidermis to dermis, during any surgery. In addition, epidermoid cyst can also be caused due to blockage of the pores near to a pierced area. Epidermoid cysts can also results from bacterial infection and form a pimple like structure.
Symptoms of Epidermoid Cyst
Epidermoid cysts are a dome like structure formed from tissues, it has smooth surface and the size varies from patient to patient. Size of epidermoid cyst may be as small as few millimeters and can be up to some centimeters. There is no specific skin type which is prone to epidermoid cyst, instead; epidermoid cyst can occur on any skin type. Epidermoid cyst may not have any symptom or can cause pain when touched. It pressed hard it releases pus type thick liquid. Epidermoid cyst can develop on any part of the body but it is mostly found in the parts with little hair around. Other common symptoms include:
- Redness of skin
- Affected area often become hot or warm
- When pressed a smelly liquid is secreted from the cyst
- Dome like structure (at times painless)
Treatment for Epidermoid Cyst
The easiest way to remove epidermoid cyst is by excision. In some cases the only way to get rid of epidermoid cyst is surgery, however; there are also ways to treat the problem with the help of medicines. Earlier, H2O2 i.e. Hydrogen peroxide gel was prescribed by registered practitioners for cyst treatment. This treatment method was very effective for treating epidermoid cyst occurred on body piercing. After sometime, medical practitioners realized that gel was not completely effective in getting rid of cyst. In fact, with every passing year it was observed that Hydrogen peroxide gel was making the problem even worst.
These days, epidermoid cyst found near body piercing area is facilitated with treating with the help of hot saline soak, this helps in draining the epidermoid cyst. Further, use of talcum powder having medicinal or antibacterial properties helped in drying the wound which resulted in fast recovery. People getting the piercing done are seriously prone to epidermoid cyst formation because of the release of saliva ducts.
Home Remedies for Epidermoid Cyst
Apart from pain, epidermoid cyst looks very ugly and adversely affects the physical appearance of an individual. It secretes smelly and sticky liquid. Some of the effective home remedies for getting rid of cyst are:
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has many anti-bacterial properties, which makes it an ultimate medicine for treating many problems, like headache, cold, pimples, acne, fungal infections and more. It is very useful for treating epidermoid cyst. Patients can directly apply generous amount of oil and let it get soaked in the skin.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is one of the known gifts for any skin problem; it is very effective for epidermoid cyst treatment as well. It is comprised of both pain releasing and healing properties. Aloe Vera can also be applied directly on the affected area; it gives a cooling sensation and provides relief from irritation.
- Castor Oil: When castor oil is used for treating epidermoid cyst it shows unbelievable results. The effectiveness of this oil is not limited to only reducing the size of epidermoid cyst but it also reduces itching to a considerable extent. Soak a clean piece of cloth in castor oil and place this cloth on the affected area for almost an hour. Some of the people make the mistake of consuming the oil, which is not right.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar is known for reducing excess fat from the body but its benefit is not limited to only that, it is equally effective in treating epidermoid cyst. For getting quick result, apply vinegar directly on the affected area and cover the area with a clean cloth. Keep this cloth as it is for around three to four days, after removing the cloth patient will find a thick layer on the epidermoid cyst. When patient tries to remove that layer epidermoid cyst breaks and pus starts coming out, clean the area and apply vinegar and cloth again. This will help in complete and quick healing of the epidermoid cyst.
All of the above mentioned remedies are very helpful and effective in treating epidermoid cyst. The tips are simple but are very effective when used.