There are more than thousands of different species of mosquitoes roam around and all of them have different preferences when it comes on biting individuals. One very interesting fact about mosquitoes is that, it is the female mosquito that bites and sucks blood and not the male mosquitoes. The reason behind is that female mosquitoes need more nutrition for developing eggs. Let’s take a look on the type of people who are prone to mosquito bites.
Can Mosquitoes Smell Period Blood?
Ovulating Women. In the past few years it has been observed that mosquitoes get more attracted towards ovulating or menstruating women. Hence, ovulating women are a high risk of suffering mosquito bites as compared to men. Women who have reached menopause fall in men category only. Blood released during periods have a peculiar smell which is very much appealing for mosquitoes. Hence, one needs to be more hygiene conscious during their periods. One must change their napkins every four to five hours to avoid the smell.
Individuals With Pets. Studies have revealed that mosquitoes prefer animal blood over human blood. Hence, people who are constantly in touch with animals are snub more by mosquitoes. So, people who love their pet or are in contact with them often must ensure to use good mosquito repellent.
Blood Group. It is a proved fact that people with blood group O attract more mosquitoes than others. Usually people believe that mosquitoes like O blood group because it is sweet but this is a complete myth. The fact is that smell of O blood group is stronger than A and B, so more and more mosquitoes get attracted to it. On the contrary, people with blood group A, B and AB are comparatively less prone to suffer insect bite.
Chemical Discharge. There are almost four hundred chemicals present on human skin and these chemicals play a very crucial role in attracting mosquitoes. The mixture of smell produced by bacteria present in the skin and the sweet acts as a perfect appealing factor for attracting mosquitoes of different species.
Beer Intake. For people who love drinking beer will be astonished to know that beer is a great source of attracting mosquitoe bites. Drinking beer makes a lot of changes in the chemistry of the skin and releases some very light smell which is not sensed by human beings but can be identified by insects. Hence, one must try to limit their beer consumption to the maximum possible extent.
Do’s After A Mosquito Bite
- Individuals try their best to avoid mosquito bite and still suffer bites. There are some basic self care remedies that help in getting relief from irritation and swelling occurred after the bump is formed.
- Wash the infection area with clean water and antiseptic solution to avoid further spread of infection.
- After the area is clean apply a good quality anti-itching or calamine solution. This helps in keeping the skin dry and stops itching.
- If the swelling is more than normal then immediately apply ice on it. This will not only reduce the swelling but will also reduce the itching sensation.
- People who are highly sensitive or allergic to mosquito bites much take antihistamines after the bite for avoiding ay severe allergic reaction on the body. An antihistamine is a very common medication readily available for use.
Don’ts After A Mosquito Bite
After a mosquito prick human skin to suck blood, the very first reaction is itching or scratching. However, this provides a very impermanent relief and can make the condition even worst by spreading the infection. This also increases the chance of spreading infection one area of the body to another. So, the best response against itching is tapping the area or slow slapping, which slows down the itching sensation and also prevents spreading of infection. With time the bumps get dissolved on its own but if the problem persists for long then medical assistance is a must.
- Good Reasons to Avoid Mosquitoes and Their Bites
- Can Mosquitoes Bite Through Clothes?
- What Are Mosquitoes Attracted To?