Angioplasty is a procedure done to clear the artery blockages. It is routinely done as a treatment in cardiovascular problems. Are you worried about the recovery period following a stent? Do you think about how long does it take to recover after having a stent? It important to understand the stent placement procedure along with its after care and precautions to be able to understand about the recovery.
How Long Does It Take To Recover After Having A Stent?
While the stent placement procedure is done by experts, many people wonder about how long does it take to recover after having a stent. Let us look at the procedure which will give an idea about recovering from having a stent.
The procedure of having a stent placement, also called angioplasty is performed either from the femoral artery in the groin or the radial artery in the arm. During the procedure, the doctor accesses the artery from either the groin or the wrist. During the process, a stent is implanted inside the artery to keep it open. The stent may be of a metal sleeve or might be coated with medicine. After the completion of the procedure, when the catheter is removed, the dressing is done at the site of insertion.
So, how long does it take to recover after having a stent. The recovery time after having a stent or angioplasty is fast and patients are discharged from the hospital in usually 12-24 hours after the removal of the catheter. In most cases, patients can return to work within a few days to a week after the procedure but never miss on the doctor’s advice on the same.
When patients returns home, care should be taken of the catheter insertion site. It should be kept dry when not bathing. Soaking in bathtubs, Jacuzzi or pool is not advisable. Use of creams or lotions on the wound site is not advisable and it is better to wear loose clothes. These are some of the basic instructions of after care and important factors that influence healing of the wound. These ultimately affect and decide how long it will take to recover after having a stent.
Recovery and Activity Guidelines After the Stent Placement Procedure
How long it takes to recover after having a stent depends a lot on effective care taken after the procedure and overall health of the person. After the procedure, patients are advised to take rest for a day or two. They might feel weak or tired. The guidelines vary slightly depending on the site of catheter insertion.
For Radial Procedure
- Any heavyweights of more than 2 pounds should not be lifted.
- Participating in strenuous activities should be restricted until 2 days after the procedure. It includes most of the sports such as jogging, tennis, and bowling.
- Use of motorcycle, chainsaw, lawn mower, and terrain vehicles should be avoided.
- Increase the activity level slowly and with doctor’s advice to reach the normal activity level.
For Femoral Procedure
- Do not strain while passing stool as it might lead to bleeding from the catheter insertion site.
- Pushing and pulling of heavy objects and lifting heavy weight should be avoided.
- Climbing and walking down the stairs should be done slowly and only when much required.
- Taking part in strenuous activities should be avoided for at least 5 days after the procedure.
- Increase the activity level gradually and with doctor’s advice.
So, coming back to the question, how long does it take to recover after having a stent. Most of the people are able to resume regular activities within 24 hours of the procedure, but take the doctor’s advice for the same. Same goes for resuming work, driving and for sexual activity. For some people, the health condition before the stent procedure and other co-existing conditions may have to be considered. But in most cases, the recovery is fast, when medical advice is followed properly.
Here are some important tips to ensure healthy recovery after having a stent.
The medications advised by the doctor should be taken regularly and follow up should not be missed. Depending on the result the doctor might prescribe new medicines or might change the frequency of the dosage.
Make sure to drink plenty of water to flush out toxic material from the body.
Incorporate the necessary dietary changes, quit smoking, and start up with some exercise schedule to maintain health.
Some patients might feel pain in the chest after the procedure. If the pain continues for long there might be a problem with the stent. In such cases, doctor visit should not be delayed. On an average it may take a few days to recover after having a stent but for any new complaints or discomfort, consult the doctor. Making heart-healthy lifestyle changes will not only ensure speedy recovery but also help to maintain good health during the recovery phase and thereafter.
- What is a Stent to the Heart?
- Are Heart Stents Permanent?
- How is a Ureteral Stent Removal Procedure Done?
- Are All Stents Metal?
- Why Would You Need A Stent In Your Heart?
- Do Stents Really Work?
- Are Heart Stents Dangerous?